Antivirus expiring-recommendations?

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
My Trend Macro internet security program is expiring. They seem to have raised the price quite a bit. I formerly was able to put it on three computers for three years for about $50. They now want $39.95 for one year and $75.95 for two years.

It's been good antivirus protection. Over the years, I've gotten good at knowing how to operate it. I don't like the manner in which it blocks access to some sites even when I enter them as safe, but I can deal with that.

Any other recommendations? I have two or three computers I need to keep protected.

Best,

Dave

Confirming these are each standalone computer desktops or laptops IOW you don't need an enterprise solution?

FWIW. Been running ESET. Reasonably inexpensive, non-intrusive, doesn't seem to bog things down and haven't had any problems. My son had a slight issue during install. Called the help desk and a person answered the phone! Problem solved easily.

Gary

I've been using Trend Micro for years, but about four months ago switched to the free Microsoft Security Essentials based on a strong recommendation from Lifehacker and others.

I have it on 4 computers and am very pleased. It does not get in your way and seems to protect as well as the pay services.

Test results: http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Note: There is a virus app called "Security Essentials 2010" all over the web. Be sure you are on Microsoft's site (linked above) before downloading.

BTW, I make my living online developing enterprise-level web applications, so online security is a big deal to me. Over the years I've used Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro, and I really do prefer this free solution.

Confirming these are each standalone computer desktops or laptops IOW you don't need an enterprise solution?

Eric: These are a laptop and desk top that can tie into a server. My Son said the MS exchange server doesn't need antivirus because it just passes things through to the desktops. But is sure seem to be the server should have antivirus. Not had a problem in six years of running that way though.

Best,

Dave

I've been using Trend Micro for years, but about four months ago switched to the free Microsoft Security Essentials based on a strong recommendation from Lifehacker and others.

I have it on 4 computers and am very pleased. It does not get in your way and seems to protect as well as the pay services.

Test results: http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

Microsoft site: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Note: There is a virus app called "Security Essentials 2010" all over the web. Be sure you are on Microsoft's site (linked above) before downloading.

BTW, I make my living online developing enterprise-level web applications, so online security is a big deal to me. Over the years I've used Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro, and I really do prefer this free solution.

Thanks Randy. I have some kind of crud but will look at this as soon as I can think straight again.

Best,

Dave

Microsoft Security Essentials (free)

I have used both the free and pay versions of AVG Antivir, and have had success with both. They update twice daily, on my schedule and have caught a few nasties.

I've been using the free version of Comodo with success for about 8 months, give or take. YMMV.

-Rich

I'm happy with Microsoft Security Essentials on my new laptop - to the point that when my TM subscriptions expire I'll put it on all my other systems.

I've been switching from Avast to Comodo, based on Rich's recommendation. Both are free, and I was happy with Avast too, aside from the requirement to annually renew the free license.

I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials on my computers and have been happy with it.

I've been using McAfee as Comcast provided it free. They're switching to Norton, so I will be switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. Already made the switch on my wife's laptop.

Norton 2010. Actually 2009 and 2010 was a huge improvement over previous versions.

MS Security Essentials wouldn't install on my desk top. Got various error messages and tried to get some support. Wound up going back and forth with some e-mails with a tech person that didn't do any good.
So, I went with AVG to get something on the computer.

Thanks for all the help. I may review this later, but have to get busy for now.

Best,

Dave

I've been using McAfee and don't like it so I'm going to switch. I can get Trend Micro for free from my USP but all the reviews I've read say that's the worst of the bunch so I think I'll pass on that. My two top contenders are BitDefender and Vipre.

Another vote for Eset. Works very well on my (underpowered) netbook.

Back