ANR Telex Headsets

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I bought these headsets from ebay. (Got a deal-2 pairs for $63!)

I tried them out last Saturday and they seem to work just fine.

I bought them because I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend the money for newer ANR headsets and how much difference they make.

So, pirep on these: They are built like tanks. Very solid feel (and a bit of weight, but that didn't bother me). I wondered if the ANR was working so I turned the headset off for a couple of seconds. Wow! Huge difference! Also, these take two 9v batteries each. I used one pair for about 1 1/2 hours and then moved the batteries into the other pair for about an hour. I haven't checked the batteries yet, but they were still working when I shut down.

Having said all that, here are my questions from anybody who has used these Telex's and/or newer, more advanced ANR sets (Bose, Senheiser, Lightspeed, etc.):
1) - How does the noise reduction compare?
2) - How does the battery life compare?

I can use them as a trade in for Lightspeed Zulus and get $200 (I think that's correct-any ANR brand) netting Zulus for $650. Worth it?

Also, given the buybacks from many of the pilot shops and headset brands, can you buy used ANR headsets? How's the value of that? Do they have a warranty like certified pre-owned cars?

John

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 34
The Lightspeed brand is a good one. I own a Zulu.2 and like it very much. And their customer service is one of the best in the industry.

Last edited:
If it cancels low frequencies and is never earsplitting, it works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Frankly, almost all the published attenuation is about the same for everything, as long as you use gel ear-seals. If it concerns you, you can have it tested. That leaves physical comfort as the only variable. Once again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As a rough ANR test, I like to try them out in the laundromat. It should filter nearly everything out aside from buzzers. The buzzers should be clearly audible.

It should never be necessary to pay $1000 for rather simple technology that has been around for quite some time.

[snip]
It should never be necessary to pay $1000 for rather simple technology that has been around for quite some time.

Yeah, $1000 buys a LOT of 9v batteries.

John

Depending on which model Telex ANR, battery life is so-so. ANR is excellent. Comfort is incredibly good for a heavy headset. Telex did an amazing job of distributing the weight across the whole headband so you don't even feel the weight of the headset (I had Peltor before my Telex 50 headset and was amazed the didn't feel heavier).

No, I don't wear them anymore but they were good.

If you don't mind in-ear, check out the QT Halos. Not ANR but apparently rivals the sound reduction. I love mine.

...lol, that's why Lightspeed can offer such great customer service. They can probably make a set of Zulu 2's for less than $100.

If you don't mind in-ear, check out the QT Halos. Not ANR but apparently rivals the sound reduction. I love mine.

+1000 on this. But they are in the $300 range...not $63 bucks for two. :)

+1000 on this. But they are in the $300 range...not $63 bucks for two. :)

Yeah. I got a deal. Watch for a couple of my other headsets on ebay...

:D

John

Bumping this to see if anyone has used ANR headsets of this vintage and newer ones (i.e. Bose, Senhieser, Lightspeed, etc.). Is there a difference in sound reduction? Sound quality? Would you pay the difference?

John

Bumping this to see if anyone has used ANR headsets of this vintage and newer ones (i.e. Bose, Senhieser, Lightspeed, etc.). Is there a difference in sound reduction? Sound quality? Would you pay the difference?

John
Vintage? The OP dies say specifically which model but there are a bunch of Telex ANRs that are current models. The 50 especially, has awesome sound reduction, superior to some of the others you list.

Telex has other issues which is why I bought something else when by 50s bit the dust. But IMO the sound quality and ANR is among the best in the business.

The light speeds and their ilk are expensive because they're lighter. I can't tell the difference in sound quality between my Dave Clarks and my pal/s Lightspeeds. But the Lightspeeds are way, way more comfortable, mostly because they're lighter. They're well worth the money if you have it.

Vintage? The OP dies say specifically which model but there are a bunch of Telex ANRs that are current models. The 50 especially, has awesome sound reduction, superior to some of the others you list.

Telex has other issues which is why I bought something else when by 50s bit the dust. But IMO the sound quality and ANR is among the best in the business.

I'm not sure which model but they use 2 9V batteries in the battery box. (I'm the OP.) I wondered if they worked but I turned off the ANR in flight and wow, they make a lot less noise when on. I've just never gotten the chance to compare with a newer ANR set.

John

I use the Bose A20's and love them.. Not cheap but the noise cancellation is awesome~

I use the Bose A20's and love them.. Not cheap but the noise cancellation is awesome~

That's great but have you ever used any of the older ones to compare?

The Bose X's are fine. Buy em on eBay for 300-500 and enjoy!

Like the "what airplane for me" threads get the gallery saying "Bonanza" and "Mooney", it's an unstated inevitability that we must mention these in any headset thread:

865801505_ef944e9f2c.jpg

I'm not sure which model but they use 2 9V batteries in the battery box. (I'm the OP.) I wondered if they worked but I turned off the ANR in flight and wow, they make a lot less noise when on. I've just never gotten the chance to compare with a newer ANR set.

John
Might be a bit earlier model. There should be something on the headset to tell you.

But even the high-end Telexes, which have excellent passive noise attenuation (as opposed to many others), there's a big difference when you flip the ANR switch.

Back