Another XC frustration thread...

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wrench978
Ive been trying for about a month to do my long XC for my PPL. If its not wind, its clouds, and if its not clouds, its a plane going in for maintenance. I talked to my instructor today, and it looked like everything was going to come together to be able to fly tomorrow morning. My plan is to fly from Hampton Airfield (7B3) to Parlin Airfield (2B3) to Limington-Harmon (63B) and back to Hampton. So Im going over my outlook briefing this evening and when I get to the NOTAMS for Parlin, I see that runway 12/30 is closed from 12/5/16 to 5/15/17. Ok, no biggie, there are 2 different runways there. the other NOTAM says runway 18/36 is closed from 12/12/16 1820Z to 12/13/16 1820Z. well I guess Im not landing there... I considered landing at Claremont Muni which is nearby, but I would need to replan the flight, and my endorsement is only good for the airports I mentioned above. My instructor would not be there in the morning to re-endorse my XC. So it looks like I'm still trying to find a time to get this flight in... sigh...

I can feel your pain... Hang in there - weather will imorove one day... Do you need the third airport to get the distance for the PPL XC? Otherwise you should be good with the two airports if I remember correctly...

I can feel your pain... Hang in there - weather will imorove one day... Do you need the third airport to get the distance for the PPL XC? Otherwise you should be good with the two airports if I remember correctly...

yeah, 7B3>2B3 is 65nm. 2B3>63B is 70nm, and 63B>7B3 is 48nm.

If it makes it feel any better, you can go read my thread on how I was going to hammer out ratings starting in May and they'd be done months ago...

It's December and I still have three checkrides to do. ;)

Happens to everyone unfortunately. Sorry the weather, airplane, and what not, haven't been cooperative.

We can all relate.

You'll get it done and then the next goal will be on the horizon and THAT one will have something go sideways too...

Or not. Once in a while it all works out correctly. :)

If it makes it feel any better, you can go read my thread on how I was going to hammer out ratings starting in May and they'd be done months ago...

Happens to everyone unfortunately. Sorry the weather, airplane, and what not, haven't been cooperative.

We can all relate.

You'll get it done and then the next goal will be on the horizon and THAT one will have something go sideways too...

Or not. Once in a while it all works out correctly. :)

I've come to expect that with aviation... doesn't mean I have to like it!;)

I'm currently at 32 hours. I have my solo XC and my dual night XC, and then its pretty much polishing up maneuvers for my check ride. I was hoping to have that done by the end of the year, but that didn't happen either...

In my previous sport we use to call this Hang waiting & waiting, & waiting and set up the glider and then pack it and then go home.
I can also relate although not yet in a PPL sense.

Ive been trying for about a month to do my long XC for my PPL. If its not wind, its clouds, and if its not clouds, its a plane going in for maintenance. I talked to my instructor today, and it looked like everything was going to come together to be able to fly tomorrow morning. My plan is to fly from Hampton Airfield (7B3) to Parlin Airfield (2B3) to Limington-Harmon (63B) and back to Hampton. So Im going over my outlook briefing this evening and when I get to the NOTAMS for Parlin, I see that runway 12/30 is closed from 12/5/16 to 5/15/17. Ok, no biggie, there are 2 different runways there. the other NOTAM says runway 18/36 is closed from 12/12/16 1820Z to 12/13/16 1820Z. well I guess Im not landing there... I considered landing at Claremont Muni which is nearby, but I would need to replan the flight, and my endorsement is only good for the airports I mentioned above. My instructor would not be there in the morning to re-endorse my XC. So it looks like I'm still trying to find a time to get this flight in... sigh...

Look on the bright side at all that 'free' experience you're getting with all this planning.

I had the same problem scheduling my check ride which was a short XC away from my home base. 3rd time was a charm for me.

:)
Ditto, started in late july expecting to have my IR COMM and cfi by september. Its now December I don't even have my Commercial because no one has a complex aircraft around here and the one I was going to use 2 hours away had a hard landing and is out of commission till after Christmas. Maybe I'll get my ratings in January. (I've said maybe next month since september) Starting to get why people do pilot mills.

If it makes you feel any better, most of us have come across that at some point in our training. If it's not one thing, its another. And if you're like me, it usually comes when you are about ready for a check ride!

It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.

I've been stuck in my Commercial Multi rating for about 2 years now because the school I'm with contracted their Barons out to another school, and they abused the props on those engines to the tune of 3 brand new engines... Needless to say that contract has been terminated but now the lack of instructors has me on the schedule one day off it the next....

Just stick through it, all the starts will align eventually.

It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.

I've been stuck in my Commercial Multi rating for about 2 years now because the school I'm with contracted their Barons out to another school, and they abused the props on those engines to the tune of 3 brand new engines... Needless to say that contract has been terminated but now the lack of instructors has me on the schedule one day off it the next....

Just stick through it, all the starts will align eventually.

Oh man, that's the worst I've heard.

Have heard that multi instructors are hard to come by everywhere right now, though.

Might work in my favor, might not... kinda don't care... but it's a repetitive story/theme right now when I talk to folks.

Oh man, that's the worst I've heard.

Have heard that multi instructors are hard to come by everywhere right now, though.

Might work in my favor, might not... kinda don't care... but it's a repetitive story/theme right now when I talk to folks.

Come out to my school please. We literally have 0 MEL instructors that are not also check pilots.

I slightly wish I had the money to consult a lawyer and see if I could get a refund due to "inability to provide the resources to complete coursework in a timely manner."

Back