Another VOR gone?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I just saw the NOTAM yesterday saying the OJC "NAV VOR DCMSN. 10 JAN 12:39 2013 UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 10 JAN 12:39 2013"

Well, with GPS do we really need them anymore? Seems if we can save money by removing VOR's maybe we can avoid user fees.

Well, with GPS do we really need them anymore? Seems if we can save money by removing VOR's maybe we can avoid user fees.

Yeah, but flying a VOR approach is practically free. With GPS, you have to pony up for the receiver. And then you have to purchase a subscription every year to keep that receiver current so you can use the thing.

Welcome aboard, Luigi.

That particular VOR sits right at the end of the rwy, right next to a road. If it goes away, so do all the questions I get from neighbors asking, "What IS that thing?"

Right, everyone has a 430 in the panel nowadays. :rolleyes:

I have a 430 in the panel. It is handy to back up the VOR & pilotage I navigate by. I try to avoid pushing to many buttons on the GPS , lest I lose it all. It is very handy for GS. & the Pax like the magenta line thingy. Dave

Welcome aboard, Luigi.

That particular VOR sits right at the end of the rwy, right next to a road. If it goes away, so do all the questions I get from neighbors asking, "What IS that thing?"

Missile silo of course.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-13-16-05-18.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-13-16-05-18.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_2013-01-13-16-07-38.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-13-16-07-38.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Sure we do, we need redundancy.

:rofl:
Somehow I think the VOR itself will stay there, they are just going to deactivate it and stop servicing it.

I hear someone that someone is buying up the old ones. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• RockCity.png
    RockCity.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 230
Sure we do, we need redundancy.

And entitlements?

I read it would be cheaper for the FAA to equip every plane with a GPS, than continue to support all the ground based Nav aids. (obviously we need some of them, and the ILS.

Is VOR ing required for PPL Checkride?
It's certainly on the written exam, and when you take a checkride, the examiner wants to see your xcountry plan, and if your plan includes VOR, you have to show enough proficiency using VOR to convince him you know what you are doing.
On the other hand, a number of planes don't ship with VOR at all.

Glenn

It's certainly on the written exam, and when you take a checkride, the examiner wants to see your xcountry plan, and if your plan includes VOR, you have to show enough proficiency using VOR to convince him you know what you are doing.
On the other hand, a number of planes don't ship with VOR at all.

Glenn

Well, if you fly the trainers that I did, then you better know your VORs because those planes didn't have G, P, or S.

And entitlements?

I read it would be cheaper for the FAA to equip every plane with a GPS, than continue to support all the ground based Nav aids. (obviously we need some of them, and the ILS.

There are too many GPS outages, we still need other navaids for those times.
Technically we don't need any ground based navaids, that would certainly be the cheapest option. However the cheapest is not always the best, or I should say most of the time is not the best.

Nope--only one of the eight planes at my flight school has a VOR receiver (they specialize in light sport), and my examiner said something along the lines of, "Since the airplane we're testing in doesn't have a VOR receiver, why don't you describe the operation of it on the ground." Never having done it in the air, my description wasn't beautiful, but it apparently worked.

In my case the antenna must be moved from the cabin roof, to the vertical stabilizer which is a lot of work, just to keep the VOR, is it worth the effort ?

The 48 C-170 is not going to be a IFR aircraft, I have a hand held GPS, for nav in VFR conditions. So, why should I keep the VOR?

Do you have a copy of the Practical Test Standards? You should have one, because that is where you will learn just how much latitude the examiner will give you on various elements of the checkride.

Bob Gardner

Do you have a copy of the Practical Test Standards? You should have one, because that is where you will learn just how much latitude the examiner will give you on various elements of the checkride.

Bob Gardner

Pretty much (I thought I remembered it being in there):

Code:
Task B: Navigation Systems and Radar Services (ASEL 
and ASES) 
References: FAA-H-8083-3, FAA-H-8083-6, FAA-H-8083-25; 
Navigation Equipment Operation Manuals; AIM. 
Objective: To determine that the applicant: 
1. Exhibits satisfactory knowledge of the elements related to 
navigation systems and radar services. 
2. Demonstrates the ability to use an airborne electronic 
navigation system. 
3. Locates the airplane’s position using the navigation system. 
4. Intercepts and tracks a given course, radial, or bearing, as 
appropriate. 
5. Recognizes and describes the indication of station 
passage, if appropriate. 
6. Recognizes signal loss and takes appropriate action. 
7. Uses proper communication procedures when utilizing 
radar services.

And entitlements?

Well, I've NEVER been one to take government handouts, but if they're passing out 430's.....

Yeah, sure. ;) 3 of the 4 planes in our club do not have IFR GPSs installed. Maybe in another century. :D

Just looking on tradeaplane it looks like 1 in 20 have G430 or better.

5%. Even if you only look at HP/Complex it is 1 in 10 or less than 10% based on the current for sale fleet.

If it's in the airplane, yes. I teach in a Remos that has dual GPS recievers, but no nav radios, so there is no way to demonsterate VOR proficiency on a checkride in the Remos.

Back