Another, Starting Instrument Training

Owad1971

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Owad1971
Hey Guys and Gals,
I too will start my instrument training this week! Saturday will be the first lesson- it may be best for all y'all to stay on the ground between the hours of 10am-Noon...Just Sayn:eek::eek::eek::fcross:

Enjoy! I'm working on mine as well and take the written in a week.

Good luck! I enjoyed getting mine a few years ago. It is a challenging and sometimes frustrating journey. It is also difficult to stay proficient if you aren't flying a lot, but can be done. And, remember, this is supposed to be fun :).

Good luck and enjoy the flying,nothing like an instrument rating,to extend your flying days.

Good luck! Don't be like me and be so anxious to fly approaches that you look past the initial learned skills of instrument scanning and pitch/power settings (like I did). Once you have those things well handled, the rest gets a LOT easier. Trust me. ;)

I can't say it's an easy rating, but it's definitely worth it. Keep us updated on your progress!

Good luck! Don't be like me and be so anxious to fly approaches that you look past the initial learned skills of instrument scanning and pitch/power settings (like I did). Once you have those things well handled, the rest gets a LOT easier. Trust me. ;)
This. If you are shooting approaches on your second or third lesson there is something wrong with that instructor.

This. If you are shooting approaches on your second or third lesson there is something wrong with that instructor.

Agreed. Though, in my case, my instructor kept dragging me back to the instrument scan and pitch/power stuff while I kept asking about different approaches. For some reason, I was under the impression that flying approaches was a bulk of the instrument work. IMO, once you learn how to read a chart, an approach is an approach. The real work is in transitioning to and/or maintaining the flight regime you mean to be in without outside references. (Sounds pretty obvious now, but it took me a little while to realize that early in training.)

Agreed. Though, in my case, my instructor kept dragging me back to the instrument scan and pitch/power stuff while I kept asking about different approaches. For some reason, I was under the impression that flying approaches was a bulk of the instrument work. IMO, once you learn how to read a chart, an approach is an approach. The real work is in transitioning to and/or maintaining the flight regime you mean to be in without outside references. (Sounds pretty obvious now, but it took me a little while to realize that early in training.)
95% of instrument flying is based off basic attitude instrument flying. The rest of the stuff just builds upon that.

Heading - Altitude -& Airspeed is all you need, and in that order of priority.
All the rest is peripheral.
Get solid control of those 3 instruments, and making them fly an approach or hold is simple.

When you go back over your logs in your reclining years you will realize how few approaches you actually flew in real life...non-professional, of course.

Bob Gardner

Y'all gettn me all FIRED UP! :goofy::goofy: Its going to be a terrible day to fly tomorrow...so maybe I can focus on the sim lesson in front of me, and not worry about PreMature...Approaches. I hear that is a problem at my stage in training...lol!

In all seriousness, I read the FAA book on instrument flying cover to cover a few months ago ...now maybe I can get to understand what those folks wer talking about. I fully expect to re-read that stuff at least 2X.

Back