Another stadium TFR thread

Lindberg

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lindberg
I don't even know how to find out when future stadium TFRs are, but is there a place I can find one that's passed? Leaving ACT today, tower may have warned me that I was heading for one, but I am not sure because the borrowed handheld I was using was a little garbled.

Well find out what stadium you flew over. Then find out if there was a game tonight. That's what I would do

That's a good question, and one that points to the unworkability of stadium TFRs.

KACT is Waco TX, home of Baylor Univ?

I suppose you could check Baylor athletic schedules, but I can't imagine that they have a big outdoor event in February.

Edit, here is the entire schedule of events today for Baylor Athletics:

Softball
Stephen F Austin
W, 3-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Tennis
63 Maryland
W, 4-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Basketball
Texas
W, 70-68
Austin, Texas

Women's Tennis
Prairie View A&M
W, 7-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Golf
Northrop Grumman Invitational
1st/16 (-3 281)
Palos Verdes, Calif.

Last edited:
That's a good question, and one that points to the unworkability of stadium TFRs.

KACT is Waco TX, home of Baylor Univ?

I suppose you could check Baylor athletic schedules, but I can't imagine that they have a big outdoor event in February.

Edit, here is the entire schedule of events today for Baylor Athletics:

Softball
Stephen F Austin
W, 3-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Tennis
63 Maryland
W, 4-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Basketball
Texas
W, 70-68
Austin, Texas

Women's Tennis
Prairie View A&M
W, 7-0
Waco, Texas

Women's Golf
Northrop Grumman Invitational
1st/16 (-3 281)
Palos Verdes, Calif.
None of those would get a TFR, right? The other possibility is that he was just confirming my position because he really wasn't sure since I was transponderless.

I can't imagine that a women's softball game or tennis match would earn a TFR. A terrorist could find a bigger crowd of Waco dwellers eating at a fried chicken restaurant.

IIRC, stadium TFRs are for pro Football, Major League Baseball and Div 1 College Football games, from one hour before to one hour after the game, 3000' agl and 3 miles. NASCAR, too.

How the Sam Hill I'm supposed to find out about every home game along my route of flight, I dunno. Only needed to know once, coming home to Huntington, WV at Thanksgiving. HTS Tower kindly told me about the TFR, and vectored me right over our outlying field on the edge of their Class D. We crossed almost in the middle of the runway lights and circled around to land.

Yes, I called for a briefing before departure, but don't you know, FSS doesn't know about the sporting event TFRs either.

Leaving there on fall Saturdays, someone always knew when there was a home game, and it may have been in the ATIS, I don't remember.

Get a Nexus or an LG tablet.
Install Avare or Garmin Pilot.
Turn on "Stadium TFR" tada!

Ain't technology grand?

Ain't technology grand?

Garmin Pilot will highlight where the TFRs would be, but not if they are active. Right now, there shouldn't be any stadium TFRs - no NFL, no MLB, no D-I football games, and no NASCAR.

I do leave the stadium TFR setting turned on in GP, but it's more of a reminder to me to double-check. It's not a big deal for me, I live near 4 potential stadium TFRs but I also follow local sports so I'm normally aware of something that might be going on. But if I were flying along an unfamiliar route, I'd be scrambling to find out 1) what stadium or facility the TFR covers (they just display the area, not the actual facility that's covered), and 2) check to see if any events are scheduled and starting/ending times.

I can't imagine that a women's softball game or tennis match would earn a TFR. A terrorist could find a bigger crowd of Waco dwellers eating at a fried chicken restaurant.

A terrorist wouldn't be deterred by a TFR anyway. Which is why stadium TFRs asymptotically approach pointlessness.

Ain't technology grand?
Funny you should say that. I was actually using Flight Pro on my Nexus. I prefer it over Avare, but I will have to look into whether it shows stadium TFRs.

IIRC, stadium TFRs are for pro Football, Major League Baseball and Div 1 College Football games, from one hour before to one hour after the game, 3000' agl and 3 miles. NASCAR, too.
It's FDC 4/3621 (pardon the all-caps):

COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT [ ... ] ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS.
Yes, I called for a briefing before departure, but don't you know, FSS doesn't know about the sporting event TFRs either.
Pre-flight briefings are now a two-step process: (1) AFSS; (2) ESPN.

Y'all keepin' track of where NASCAR is this weekend ... ?

:nono:

Skyvector.com has started to update their maps with active stadium TFR info:

https://skyvector.com/forum/stadium-tfrs-skyvector

Fortunately, I don't think it's the season for TFRs currently. Outdoor NHL games in large stadia aren't included (yet) and I don't think there are any MLB spring training facilities with a 30,000 capacity.

It does not need to be an outdoor event. Indoor professional sporting events count.

FSS has no clue, and even the local TRACON can't tell you when an event ended so the TFR is dropped. I asked once and the response was, "what TFR?" For a NASCAR event and the track was within earshot of the controller.

The approach to rwy 6 at KPUW goes right over the football stadium at WSU. No problem for me, I'm already at the game. We've watched Horizon go right overhead during the game. Remember, if you're in contact with ATC you are good to go.

As long as ATC is directing your route of flight you are good to go. Several times within the past year I have flown directly over Safeco Field at 1,500' AGL during a Seattle Mariners game. It's a common transition route through KBFI class delta, and Boeing tower has never hesitated to grant me authorization. All you have to do is ask.

From FDC 4/3621:
"...THE RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES..."

Not sure if the above language would suffice for VFR flight following if you were merely in contact with ATC. You would probably want to let them know that your intended route of flight will take you over a stadium TFR and ask specifically for clearance.

Last edited:
I fly around stadium TFRs as a habit, whether they are active or not. Saves the aggravation of looking them up.
Plus the FAA source materiel has been wrong occasionally. There was an "incident" at West Point a couple of years ago because the FAA source didn't list a game.

Last edited:
I fly around stadium TFRs as a habit, whether they are active or not. Saves the aggravation of looking them up.
Plus the FAA source materiel has been wrong occasionally. There was an "incident" at West Point a couple of years ago because the FAA source didn't list a game.

And not everyone is local and knows where all the stadiums are, or service academies, or major college stadiums.

And not everyone is local and knows where all the stadiums are, or service academies, or major college stadiums.

That's the whole point!

I don't know where stadiums are when I visit places, don't know what teams may or may not be playing, and neither does FSS. But somehow I can get busted? Even if I ask during the briefing and their recorded response is that they don't know?

Seems like I heard once that it's not a good idea to issue rules that you can't enforce. The problem here is that the rule is enforceable, the problem is that no one can tell us now to not break the rule!!

"Stupid is as stupid does" applies to bureaucrats so very often . . .

What FAA source material?

Back