Another ramp worker ingested

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Dan Millican reported this on YouTube over the weekend, but I couldn't find any other news about it; looks like he's correct:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/texas-airport-worker-killed-after-being-ingested-into-jet-engine

I don't ever remember hearing about one of these before the one a few months ago, so now two in quick succession is alarming. Is it a return to hectic flying schedules after a long lull? Seems like that would've worked itself out by now. New hires maybe? Overworked employees because they can't find enough warm bodies to do the jobs? Maybe they need to work on automating the ground crew instead of the pilots.

Seems like there's been a lot more runway incursions than usual too... or maybe the media is just reporting on it more. Is commercial aviation stressed to the breaking point?

How many millions of flights arrived and departed between those incidents? I'm guessing that there are safety briefings fairly often for that job.

I also read somewhere which said it was suicide (can't find the article now).

The statement from the ground handling company reads like a hint that it was not an accident. (That statement quoted at the end of the news story in the OP).

Minor media rant warning.. // but how hard would it be to at least source an image of the correct plane type, even if not the incident aircraft itself. They throw an A330 picture up there, not A319. At worst it's misleading, at best its careless

At worst it's misleading, at best its careless

Where on the spectrum of misleading to careless, would you put “ignorant”?

The media rarely knows anything about the subject of aviation, and is happy to remain ignorant on the subject!

-Skip

Minor media rant warning.. // but how hard would it be to at least source an image of the correct plane type, even if not the incident aircraft itself. They throw an A330 picture up there, not A319. At worst it's misleading, at best its careless
To be fair, I could not tell you the difference between an A319 and an A330, let alone identify them visually. I was just impressed that they had what appeared to me to be an airbus, although I can't even tell a 'Bus from a Boeing most of the time.

Where on the spectrum of misleading to careless, would you put “ignorant”?
Careless

Aviation is not some obscure topic. Sure they are not all geeks, but, it's something most people will do at least a couple times in their lives and something that everyone is well familiar with.

The more worrisome thing it hints at though, is the similar lack of knowledge elsewhere "the media rarely knows anything about the subject of [xx]" yet most people are happy to consume it as fact and quote it when it fits their point of view

I would hope and expect most reputable news organizations to have subject matters experts on hand on subjects they report on or be able to source them when needed. Or just quote AvWeb or AVHerald.

But I digress

To be fair, I could not tell you the difference between an A319 and an A330, let alone identify them visually. I was just impressed that they had what appeared to me to be an airbus, although I can't even tell a 'Bus from a Boeing most of the time.
Sure, but you're not writing articles about aviation related topics

To me it would be like writing an article about the Patriots and then having the lead photo be a picture of a soccer ball next to a volleyball net. "They're all sports"

I don't know the first thing about sports, nor care to, but those who do and write about it should know the difference

I'm glad I'm not the only one. At least they got the wings in the right spot. That low wing Cessna 172 is more common in media than in the wild.

Sounds like you guys called it...Dan posted an update saying it was a suicide. That's a crazy way to choose to go.

I was expecting a different Dan and was prepared to be funny at his expense. :) I dunno that one, but he seemed hinged.

Man there have to be easier ways to go. I don't care how sad you are or how much you want to show the ex-lover how jilted you are. Oof.

I would hope and expect most reputable news organizations to have subject matters experts on hand on subjects they report on or be able to source them when needed. Or just quote AvWeb or AVHerald.
It'll be better when ChatGPT gets tuned to write at a middle school level while being sensitive to the @CULTURAL_TABOOS of $VALUED_CUSTOMER_DEMOGRAPHIC, but until then, enjoy the Gell-Mann amnesia effect.

I was expecting a different Dan and was prepared to be funny at his expense. :) I dunno that one, but he seemed hinged.

Man there have to be easier ways to go. I don't care how sad you are or how much you want to show the ex-lover how jilted you are. Oof.
Oh gosh, I hope I’m hinged.

How many millions of flights arrived and departed between those incidents? I'm guessing that there are safety briefings fairly often for that job.

I also read somewhere which said it was suicide (can't find the article now).

Safety briefings don’t mean much when these ramp worker walk and drive around with AirPods in, texting, watching videos, etc.

I spent years working on the ramp, it is fast paced, chaotic, and deadly.

Safety briefings don’t mean much when these ramp worker walk and drive around with AirPods in, texting, watching videos, etc.

I spent years working on the ramp, it is fast paced, chaotic, and deadly.
They also don't mean much when someone walks into a running engine on purpose. What's your point?

So, since it was suicide by jet engine, does that mean just hose out the engine and keep going or does the engine need to be inspected and repaired as necessary.??

So, since it was suicide by jet engine, does that mean just hose out the engine and keep going or does the engine need to be inspected and repaired as necessary.??
Yikes. Complete teardown, quite obviously.

I remember tearing down a J-85 (T-38 engine) on Monday after a chicken hawk went through it on Friday. Dry heaved the whole time.

We do the overhauls on J85 now, and the turkey buzzard ones are disgusting. StandardAero San Antonio.

Now that would be a nasty piece of work ...

So....water hose first...

and the turkey buzzard ones are disgusting

Especially if they have a full tummy.. Years ago a friend took one in the passenger side of the windshield and it came through. Good thing it was his company truck and was on the ground... He said he did more than dry heave...

Turkey buzzards have been known to dump their load on takeoff trying to get altitude. :vomit::vomit:

The type of plane is irrelevant to the story, so why buy a new image from Getty if you already have one that's close enough? How is it misleading in any way that matters?

The type of plane is irrelevant to the story, so why buy a new image from Getty if you already have one that's close enough? How is it misleading in any way that matters?
And who's to say Getty Images even knows the difference? I would not be surprised if you did purchase an image of an Airbus A319 and get a A320 instead.

Just be glad it wasn't a picture of a Cessna 172.

mind you, I have the same reaction with mis-placed sci fi references.. the force being with Picard or some other nonsense

..I suppose there's a spectrum of acceptable truth.. for instance. But at what point is it acceptable to put a Delta A330 (large widebody long haul) vs A319 (small narrow body) and not this. It's a "plane" and says Delta on it??
upload_2023-6-28_9-34-42.png

mind you, I have the same reaction with mis-placed sci fi references.. the force being with Picard or some other nonsense

..I suppose there's a spectrum of acceptable truth.. for instance. But at what point is it acceptable to put a Delta A330 (large widebody long haul) vs A319 (small narrow body) and not this. It's a "plane" and says Delta on it??
View attachment 118510
Well, that airplane doesn't have an engine anyone could get sucked into. But really, what relevance does the aircraft type have to this story?

It'll be better when ChatGPT gets tuned to write at a middle school level while being sensitive to the @CULTURAL_TABOOS of $VALUED_CUSTOMER_DEMOGRAPHIC, but until then, enjoy the Gell-Mann amnesia effect.

Not there yet... "Gannett to pause AI experiment after botched high school sports articles"

:D

The Worthington Christian [[WINNING_TEAM_MASCOT]] defeated the Westerville North [[LOSING_TEAM_MASCOT]] 2-1 in an Ohio boys soccer game on Saturday.

Back