Another post about how awesome it is to be instrument rated..

Glad to see at least a few IR students are getting some encouragement from this. I'd been dying to get instrument rated since before I was even done with PPL. Living in the northeast it was super frustrating to have seemingly every other lesson cancelled due to thin overcast and broken layers. Curriculum aside, I just wanted to fly! Granted, back then I was still too new to have a real sense of how much work went into it, but years later I'm glad I went ahead and got the rating shortly after getting PPL. Even buzzing around VFR, it's great to be that much more comfortable flying more precisely all-around, working with ATC when I need to, naturally having better situational awareness, et cetera.

Working through IFR training now. It's been put on hold for about a year now because of work then my cfii lost his medical temporarily which I was willing to deal with, but after losing a day of vacation because of 1400 ovc at our home base and the rest of the country being vfr I started making some phone calls to find another cfii. There have been multiple weekends that were a rushed cross country out and back just to do it (which is fine after all I am flying) could have flown out after work on Friday or Saturday stay over a night or 2 and fly back if I was rated.

So here's to doing the work and getting frustrated and aggravated and lots of other emotions I'm sure to be able to launch on vacation into 1400 ovc and not have to wonder if we are going to have good VFR weather in 10 days to get home in.

I'm excited to get this rating and reading your stories excites me even more.

Working through IFR training now. It's been put on hold for about a year now because of work then my cfii lost his medical temporarily which I was willing to deal with, but after losing a day of vacation because of 1400 ovc at our home base and the rest of the country being vfr I started making some phone calls to find another cfii. There have been multiple weekends that were a rushed cross country out and back just to do it (which is fine after all I am flying) could have flown out after work on Friday or Saturday stay over a night or 2 and fly back if I was rated.

So here's to doing the work and getting frustrated and aggravated and lots of other emotions I'm sure to be able to launch on vacation into 1400 ovc and not have to wonder if we are going to have good VFR weather in 10 days to get home in.

I'm excited to get this rating and reading your stories excites me even more.

Not sure if it's an option for you or not (cost and time off of life) but there are some "finish up" type trainings (or full trainings) out there that basically bang it out in a 5-10 days depending on how much you need. I went the 10-day PIC route where they come to you. I started from scratch (had already taken the written) and 10 days later was done and had my checkride 2 days after that. I had to literally take off of life for 10 days but it was the most fun flying and learning I've EVER had in a 10 day span - it was great! I didn't want to risk the lengthy alternative to getting it done as my PPL had strung out a LOT due to all kinds of stuff but that's another story. Anyway, just another option if you have your own plane (or a lot of access to one), have the time, and have the funds. In the end, I honestly don't think it's any more expensive... and possibly cheaper depending how long the "normal/lengthier" route gets strung out.

Good luck!!

@1000RR I was leaning that way to do an accelerated program. Did a bunch of research on them talked to a few of them.

My PPL was a lengthy ordeal as well and I wasn't interested in flying an hour a day 4 days a week, but taking 10 days away from business and life obligations really isn't an option.

I hooked up with a cfii that I did some G1000 transition training with in a redbird about a year ago. Great guy to say the least ! We fly once or twice a week for 4 hours each time so kind of a hybrid accelerated program that allows me to still do everything else I got going on.

@1000RR I was leaning that way to do an accelerated program. Did a bunch of research on them talked to a few of them.

My PPL was a lengthy ordeal as well and I wasn't interested in flying an hour a day 4 days a week, but taking 10 days away from business and life obligations really isn't an option.

I hooked up with a cfii that I did some G1000 transition training with in a redbird about a year ago. Great guy to say the least ! We fly once or twice a week for 4 hours each time so kind of a hybrid accelerated program that allows me to still do everything else I got going on.
I hear ya, taking a number of days off like that isn't easy. Sounds like you're on a good path. Good luck and enjoy the training!!

Congrats Kitch on starting the IFR training!

Back