Another One for HENNING - - -

Buuuutttt..... It's ok for a single pilot to fly long legs in weather after working all day. I guess we could say pilots are cheep and stupid for not grabbing a CFI hanging around the airport for any long trip.:dunno:

Marlin put his bill through the bow of an old 47' Schooner and broke 2 planks, one port and one starboard. Got the bill out and wrapped a sail over it and CG dropped me 3 pumps not long after.

Was the marlin white?

Buuuutttt..... It's ok for a single pilot to fly long legs in weather after working all day. I guess we could say pilots are cheep and stupid for not grabbing a CFI hanging around the airport for any long trip.:dunno:

If you're fatigued out and then set off on a 6 hr flight through weather with no rest, that's stupid, yes. Plenty of pilots sleep on Autopilot, that's not smart or legal either.

I wonder how much scotch was involved in the planning of this adventure. Wish him luck and hopefully fair winds.

Yep, most of them don't even realize it. How many marketing managers are aware of the COLREGS?
At least one I personally know of, probably many more involved in boat manufacture and transport.

A reply from the Coast Guard (another forum, not replied to me) gave this answer:
"Greetings,
Single-handed voyages are not per se prohibited, albeit those conducting them most likely cannot meet their Navigation Rule 5 obligations; then again neither to many multi crewed vessels. A fact that is always brought to to light in post casualty investigations and court actions.

We hope this answers your inquiry and we exhort you to always navigate safely,"

U.S. Coast Guard
Office of Navigation Systems
Washington, DC 20593-7851

Navigation Rules On-line
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-handed_sailing ) claims this sort of sailing is of questionalble legality, but also mentions that they tend to take catnaps of a duration such that they can wake up and see what is around them, trusting to their relatively slow speed that they can see what is around them and take action; if nothing is seen, they take another nap. They also tend to travel in more open parts of the ocean.

At least one I personally know of, probably many more involved in boat manufacture and transport.

A reply from the Coast Guard (another forum, not replied to me) gave this answer:

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-handed_sailing ) claims this sort of sailing is of questionalble legality, but also mentions that they tend to take catnaps of a duration such that they can wake up and see what is around them, trusting to their relatively slow speed that they can see what is around them and take action; if nothing is seen, they take another nap. They also tend to travel in more open parts of the ocean.

With such schedules you have buried the "fatigue clock" deep in the red before the end of 72hrs. Some of us learn our lessons, some never do. Stupidity usually exacts its own price eventually.

The interesting thing to note in the CG response is towards most multi crewed vessels and that is in response to "the lookout shall have no other duties".

Last edited:
BTW Here's another example of what goes wrong and why the 'napping' thing doesn't always play out so well. This is from the same BOC Challenge I mentioned before. Went for a nap, but the alarm clock didn't wake him....

Desmond Hampton of England, one of the most experienced navigators in the BOC fleet, went below on Gipsy Moth V for an hour's nap off the coast of southeast Australia on Dec. 17. Exhausted from 24 hours of steering a course through the oil rigs in the Bass Strait, Hampton overslept, and his boat, a 56-foot ketch built in 1971 by the late Sir Francis Chichester, ran aground on the rocks of Gabo Island. Gipsy Moth V wedged itself in the rocks, and soon all that was salvageable of Chichester's last boat were its masts and lead keel.

5. Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

It really doesn't get any more clear cut does it? How do you meet that burden when asleep?
Sleep with eyes open?

Stupidity and morality issues aside, who enforces these rules on the high seas? Seems to me that as long as you remained outside all territorial waters when asleep and didn't actually collide with another ship the chances of any repercussions has to be zilch.

Can you point to a record of even one collision between shps on the high seas that involved a single handed sailboat where that sailor was asleep?

I agree it's rather pointless and stupid but so is climbing to the summit of Mt Everest, especially without O2.

Sleep with eyes open?

Stupidity and morality issues aside, who enforces these rules on the high seas? Seems to me that as long as you remained outside all territorial waters when asleep and didn't actually collide with another ship the chances of any repercussions has to be zilch.

Can you point to a record of even one collision between shps on the high seas that involved a single handed sailboat where that sailor was asleep?

I agree it's rather pointless and stupid but so is climbing to the summit of Mt Everest, especially without O2.

I can recall a few, mostly where they hit fishing vessels or ran into larger ships. Might do a search on the Ocean Navigator and Professional Mariner archives, lots of good accountings of things gone wrong there.

I can recall a few, mostly where they hit fishing vessels or ran into larger ships. Might do a search on the Ocean Navigator and Professional Mariner archives, lots of good accountings of things gone wrong there.
I'll bet that didn't sink the larger ship.:D

I'll bet that didn't sink the larger ship.:D

I don't recall hearing of collisions in the solo races I referenced. Mostly stuff that happen to themselves, knock downs, dismastings, one or two that lost their keel so the boat wasn't stable, stuff like that.

I would be surprised if there were no instances of solo sailors "disappearing" in the middle of the night, after the crew of a freighter felt (if anything) a slight thump against the hull.

On one of the very few night sailings I've done, the lookout kept us from running into a gong-buoy. The Atlantic was a bathtub that night, zero wind or wave, no sound from the buoy. The programmer of the Loran (not me) plotted a waypoint right on the buoy. The rest of the story is that I'm really good at holding a course line, when I want to.

I would be surprised if there were no instances of solo sailors "disappearing" in the middle of the night, after the crew of a freighter felt (if anything) a slight thump against the hull.

On one of the very few night sailings I've done, the lookout kept us from running into a gong-buoy. The Atlantic was a bathtub that night, zero wind or wave, no sound from the buoy. The programmer of the Loran (not me) plotted a waypoint right on the buoy. The rest of the story is that I'm really good at holding a course line, when I want to.

Sure, people go missing on a regular basis.

Usually the no one on watch problem for sailors ends up with them getting plowed by a large, foreign ship. Also with no one on watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Usually the no one on watch problem for sailors ends up with them getting plowed by a large, foreign ship. Also with no one on watch.

Who is foreign in international waters?:dunno: Lots of people asleep on watch out there, lots of sailboats running at night with no lights, get into third world territorial waters with fishermen in canoes and even on the FLIR all you see is their cigarette.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I introduce all of my guests for a trip of any length to the fly statistic. 50% of dead sailors are found with their fly open. I typically yell out this statistic as I'm taking a leak off the stern with my elbow hooked around the backstay.

Seriously though anyone on solo watch offshore wears a harness and tethered in at night or at any time leaving the cockpit day or night. Proper jack lines are a must. Falling off of the boat can happen at any time and it's the number one hazard to a sailor.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I introduce all of my guests for a trip of any length to the fly statistic. 50% of dead sailors are found with their fly open. I typically yell out this statistic as I'm taking a leak off the stern with my elbow hooked around the backstay.

Seriously though anyone on solo watch offshore wears a harness and tethered in at night or at any time leaving the cockpit day or night. Proper jack lines are a must. Falling off of the boat can happen at any time and it's the number one hazard to a sailor.

I'm typically on watch in the wheelhouse.;)

It's been about 34 years since my customer Billy Dunlop disappeared while on a sea venture. After he sailed from Portland, ME to Falmouth, England(and return) in his 35' Enchantress he had another boat built and would attempt a circumnavigation in the new 9' sailboat. That's not a typo; well, it is: the boat was 8'6". Following the Enchantress voyage he was a popular lecturer in schools and other venue. I had processed uncountable rolls of 35mm slides which he used in his presentations.

Below is a Link re his Enchantress adventures. Just inside this Link is another Link to invoke. Near the end of the newspaper articles you'll find information about the 9' boat and Bill's attempt.

http://www.enchantedacresfarm.com/solosailor.html

HR

I think Jester is 12' and that crazy old man goes all over in it too.

Until it costs a couple million dollars to rescue them from the middle of the ocean. I don't mind them doing whatever, but they should be allowed to die when their wonderful plan goes to hell, and executed when they kill someone else.

We blow billions on utter BS and you're worried about a million spent on saving a life? Let's make some more movies about great adventures and sit in air conditioned theaters and watch them while we all get fat. Sounds spiffy.

We blow billions on utter BS and you're worried about a million spent on saving a life? Let's make some more movies about great adventures and sit in air conditioned theaters and watch them while we all get fat. Sounds spiffy.

Great adventures are more fun when shared with a friend or two. The other problem is the rescues also often risk the lives of the rescuers. With 7.3BB people on the planet, what makes a life worth $1MM? Very few people contribute a $1MM back in a lifetime.

Last edited:
" . . . . by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances . . . ."

Which is why single handed voyages are not breaking any law or being arrested.

The corporate attorneys are. Do you think a marketing manager would enter into a sponsorship contract without an attorney looking it over?
Certainly not most of the companies listed as sponsors for that race.

Great adventures are more fun when shared with a friend or two. The other problem is the rescues also often risk the lives of the rescuers. With 7.3BB people on the planet, what makes a life worth $1MM? Very few people contribute a $1MM back in a lifetime.

Heh. There's an interesting measure. We'll launch SAR only if you were a Net positive on the human balance sheet. ;) ;) ;)

Can o' worms there.

Heh. There's an interesting measure. We'll launch SAR only if you were a Net positive on the human balance sheet. ;) ;) ;)

Can o' worms there.

Well, when you set off alone to defy death and prove your skills that you can best nature on your own, shouldn't you be allowed to die for you dumb assed arrogance? This guy is 72 he's at the end of his natural life cycle.

Well, when you set off alone to defy death and prove your skills that you can best nature on your own, shouldn't you be allowed to die for you dumb assed arrogance? This guy is 72 he's at the end of his natural life cycle.

Getting real close to Dick Lamm's " Duty to Die" speech.

Henning's views reminds me of that book/movie "Logan's Run". Everyone should be terminated at a specific age so they can be "renewed". Avoids all the pesky healthcare issues also.

Henning's views reminds me of that book/movie "Logan's Run". Everyone should be terminated at a specific age so they can be "renewed". Avoids all the pesky healthcare issues also.

Nah, I'm more a Soilent Green kinda guy. If you want to idolize and emulate this guy, be my guest, I know where there's boats that you can have for free, don't get mad when I plow you over in your sleep though lol.

Back