Another one bites the dust

Almost certainly I will not be happy about this when the dust has settled.

Depends on what they do. If Cloud Ahoy remains a separate app, other than perhaps subscription cost, I can see Boeing development money being a good thing. If it gets integrated to such a degree that you have to have Foreflight to use it, that would be a bad thing.

Depends on what they do. If Cloud Ahoy remains a separate app, other than perhaps subscription cost, I can see Boeing development money being a good thing. If it gets integrated to such a degree that you have to have Foreflight to use it, that would be a bad thing.
"ForeFlight makes intuitive aviation software; CloudAhoy makes powerful debriefing tools. The combination, whether it’s all in ForeFlight or two more tightly integrated apps,"

I'm not taking bets on the end product 12-18 months away.

I'm a big fan of CloudAhoy's debrief parts. Used them for a bunch of approaches. Now that my free trial is over, the fee is a bit steep, but it's definitely a sweet tool.

Here we go bad mouthin’ Boeing again.

But they make it so easy....

They’re probably going to find a way to buy POA.

Uh huh. With tiered membership. $100/year to be a lurking member, $200/year for posting privileges, $400/year to add on PM capability, $1000/year to use the For Sale subforum, and so on.

I was *this* close to ditching foreflight. They must have heard me say that at sun-n-fun.

It's not just Boeing with this one. It's a pattern: Company makes interesting software, becomes somewhat famous. Large company buys small company. Everyone at the small company has a big party, lots of money for many of the people. There might even be plans to support the software. In a few years, the software falls apart to a shadow of what it once was, maybe being dropped, maybe being barely supported for a much larger cost to the users.

The legacy computer companies are known for this, Oracle, IBM, etc.

Hopefully with this one, someone will realize that none of this should be patentable, and someone will develop an open source version that works just as well. They'll still be a market for the old product, though, some people will buy it just because of the SCO, er I mean Boeing, label.

Back