Another newbie here in Texas

bimmerd00d

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bimmerd00d
I really have no idea why it all of the sudden hit me a few weeks ago, but I decided it's time to learn to fly. I was bored while home sick from work a few weeks ago and decided to install FSX that I got as a gift a few years ago (yeah i know, bad habits and whatnot). I got married a few months ago and she seems quite into the idea of me getting my license. I'm browsing through the forums looking for more info, so i'm not really going to ask any questions. I live in Little Elm, which makes Denton the nearest airport. I spend quite a bit of time down south near Blanco, TX where my family lives as well. I'll be looking for a flight instructor in the near future, most likely at Denton. I think I am going to look for a greybeard over an academy from some of the chatter here. I have yet to be up in anything smaller than a commercial jet, so I'm going to book a discovery flight sometime soon. If anyone would like to take me (and possibly my wife) up for a ride that would be awesome :)

Brandon-

Welcome to Pilots of America, Aviation's Front Porch! (chuckle)

Spike here - I fly out of Addison.

We have some active participants who fly out of Denton ( a great field, by the way) - watch for Mike Farlow (has some sort of Aggie stuff in his username / avatar), good guy, who I know bases at Denton, and I bet can help you get hooked-up with the best of the best for the field.

Welcome Brandon!

I am about 100 miles NorthEast of the Metroplex, but my Grand Dad ranched on the Blanco river not too far from Stonewall when I was a kid in the fifties and sixties. I consider that part of the hill country to be my second home.

I would expect that you could find a good grey beard at Denton. I've had two instructors and both of them fit the category. Except for the fact that my current one is hard to schedule time with, he's an EXCELLENT instructor.

There are a number of really good guys from the Metroplex that hang out on this forum. I met three of them face to face at an FAA Safety Seminar and it was great to meet up with such top quality people. They were "Tango Whisky" "Andrew" and "SCCutler" who has already responded to your thread.

I'm sure you will find most any question can come up with good answers and comments on this forum.

Keep us posted.

Doc

That's what made me join here, a number of threads i was looking through had people from Texas! Thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to be a regular on this forum over the coming years. I'm currently going through the King Flight School - Private Pilot Master Collection DVD. A lot of it already makes sense to me. :) I can't stop watching these things!

Last edited:
Brandon, welcome I'm just north east of you in Montgomery County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that is but still northeast of you.:D

Anyway welcome to the board. Happy to hear you intend on being active. Look forward to your reports about learning to fly!

Welcome Brandon. I'm at Addison also. There is a flying club on the field here that is excellent if you decide the drive is worth it. Been here a long time with several excellent instructors.

Best,

Dave

When you want to come out to the Big Bend area I'll show you some high density altitude flying and mountains :)
Welcome to POA and flying

It's a big state and so demographically-wise .... you would expect there to be a concommitant percentage of pilots and so a lot of us.
Come on Tony we're friendly enough :)

Howdy neighbor! If I can ever lend assistance, let me know.

I'll be looking for a flight instructor in the near future, most likely at Denton. I think I am going to look for a greybeard over an academy from some of the chatter here.

Actually, US Flight Academy at KDTO isn't that bad if you get hooked up with the right instructor. And I can give a high recommendation for Ron Podmenik. He has already made his big money in a different field so flight instruction is his semi-retirement passion. I'll PM you his phone number.

Another plus about USFA is the fleet is large enough that I never had to reschedule a lesson because the aircraft was down for maintenance. I flew the Diamond DA20 for training (a fun aircraft to learn in), but there are plenty of C150's and C172's on the line as well. And the Warrior they have in the flight club is one of the better priced deals going (RFC Dallas is a bit better, IMO, but the difficulty driving to KADS from Denton sorta trumps the value. But do check them out to if you can get to them easier/faster than I). But a well maintained Warrior III with dual GNS430's renting at $85.00/hr fuel included is nothing to ignore.

I have yet to be up in anything smaller than a commercial jet, so I'm going to book a discovery flight sometime soon. If anyone would like to take me (and possibly my wife) up for a ride that would be awesome

I'd be happy to accommodate the ride request as soon as I get some medical stuff squared up. I'll include my phone #in the PM.

--Mike Farlow
Denton County Auto & Truck Recycling
Denton, TX

PS to Spike.. Thanks for kind words... Your earning some credit with me for parts to keep that rolling zip code you call an Eldorado on the road. :D

Last edited:
It's a big state and so demographically-wise .... you would expect there to be a concommitant percentage of pilots and so a lot of us.
Come on Tony we're friendly enough :)

Sho nuff... We even let him join that soaring contest a few weeks ago with no one mistaking him for a big ol buzzard.

...and thus it begins :) I just booked a Discovery Flight at US Flight Academy at 9am Saturday. I can't wait!

oh great more texans.

I KNOW! Isn't it, though?!

Brandon, welcome to POA. I'm in North Fort Worth, usually fly out of Roanoke (52F) but go to Denton a lot, too! Us North Texas guys get together every once in a while, usually when another POA'er from out of town breezes through. You'll find POA folk tend to know each other (and LIKE each other, mostly!) offline, which I find just tends to enhance Spike's aforementioned 'front porch' effect!

Hope to meet you in person soon!

Last edited:
...and thus it begins :) I just booked a Discovery Flight at US Flight Academy at 9am Saturday. I can't wait!

Congrats - the start of a grand adventure! Keep us posted on your experiences, and stories.

I KNOW! Isn't it, though?!

Brandon, welcome to POA. I'm in North Fort Worth, usually fly out of Roanoke (52F) but go to Denton a lot, too! Us North Texas guys get together every once in a while, usually when another POA'er from out of town breezes through. You'll find POA folk tend to know each other (and LIKE each other, mostly!) offline, which I find just tends to enhance Spike's aforementioned 'front porch' effect!

Hope to meet you in person soon!

Ha, it really seems like a close knit group around here. It's a huge change from the car forums I'm a member of. I have a lot to learn here :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.204637,-96.953364

I have five bucks on the fact you will be posting by noon Sat with the news you signed up for flight lessons...... You might as well admit it now.:yesnod: You are addicted.:):yikes:

Welcome and looking forward to your post discovery flight report..

Ben.

Dave,

I have an old Army buddy that lives in New Braunfels and he wants me to come see him. I plan to do my Commercial length cross country there next Spring. Maybe we can get a cup of coffee when I'm there.

Doc

Where would you guys recommend training near San Marcos/Austin? My dad lives in Blanco, which is about equal distance from Austin/SA/San Marcos. He seemed quite interested when I told him I was going to start my training and said he may consider doing it as well.

There is a fellow from the Cessna 140 club that lives at an aero park of some sort at Spring Branch. Maybe they have a flying club there or something. It might be worth checking out.

Doc

Ha! Had that trick played on me while in the military. :no:

Just remember to ask your instructor where you should stow the flight line used to secure the aircraft.

this sounds like Snipe hunting...
Just a variation of what I would use when I was a divemaster for a local scuba instructor for a while. Eager students would be willing to help me set up the lakeside stations and canopies, and all of the rope we would use for floats and other items.. I would always send one of them to ask the instructor where he stashed the shore line.

Hi, Brandon, from Port Aransas!
Hey Jay! Do you have a blog or something running of your latest improvements to your hotel?

I need to plan a 3-day weekend at your place to relax and also visit the Lex.

Where would you guys recommend training near San Marcos/Austin? My dad lives in Blanco, which is about equal distance from Austin/SA/San Marcos. He seemed quite interested when I told him I was going to start my training and said he may consider doing it as well.
Bulverde's fairly close to you. Anderson Aviation has some airplanes and an instructor that I know. If you send him down there, tell Jaime that Ryan recommended him to you.

Ryan

Hey Jay! Do you have a blog or something running of your latest improvements to your hotel?

Mike:

Been there. It's nice (not Four-Seasons nice, clean and exceptional hosts nice).

Spike says,

Check it out!

Well, we're on Facebook. We also have a webpage, listed below.

We've got all the rooms decorated in the aviation theme, now. We've got about 1/3rd of them completely remodeled. Now that the off-season is upon us, we'll be taking another three-at-a-time off-line, and start ripping out floors and walls again. I hope to finish another 8 or 9 over the winter.

It must've been a good, busy season -- I'm actually looking forward to swinging a hammer again! :D

Mike:

Been there. It's nice (not Four-Seasons nice, clean and exceptional hosts nice).

Spike says,

Check it out!

And Spike was here right after we opened, before we had ANY of the rooms remodeled. Y'all should see them now! :D

Just a variation of what I would use when I was a divemaster for a local scuba instructor for a while. Eager students would be willing to help me set up the lakeside stations and canopies, and all of the rope we would use for floats and other items.. I would always send one of them to ask the instructor where he stashed the shore line.

When I checked into my unit fresh out of school, I got told to go to the powerplants shop and ask for a roll of flight line........I was young and eager to do what I was told.:idea: :mad2:. I'll never forget that one. Laughing was nothing short of lengthy.

The bucket of propwash works better... ;)
I'll have to remember that one. Especially if my "victim" is following me around during pre-flight and I start making noises on how grimey the propeller is.

"Bucket of propwash" is something that only really works on boats....

In telco/IT during installs we send the noobs looking for the cable stretcher. ;)

Back