Another newb post

jedi93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TS
Had my first real lesson today. My CFI who has around 1600 gave me 1.9 hrs of instruction. I’m doing part 61 but most of the flight was really no learning it seemed. CFI didn’t say hey cover this before next flight on Saturday after the flight. Heck, I spent more time looking at the instruments for Ppl training than outside and didn’t hear anything about picking an object on the horizon to view for a visual cue. Someone mentioend I shouldn’t be viewing the ADI at this point in training but I was instructed to view it more often than not. Suggestions on if you’d find a new instructor already based on the summary of how this first lesson went. I’m going Saturday, but man I don’t want to be just burning money feeling like I’m not learning. One things is for sure, I seemed to suck at trying to taxi and using the rudder pedals.

Could it be they are just trying to give you some space to feel things out for yourself, rather than overload you on your first flight? It's not a bad way to start, imo.

If you suck at taxiing to the runway, I'm not sure how much you should have expected from the rest of the lesson ;)

Instead of what you didn't do, how about telling us what you did do?

Yeah, not enough information.

At least you didn't try to taxi with the yoke... welcome to PoA.

That 'steer with your feet on the ground' thing feels really weird for a while, but it gets automatic after a while. Takes a lot of concentration, at first. Yah gotta look outside! Maybe he should cover up all the dials.
If nothing else, write down these questions and ask your instructor before you fly again.

If you suck at taxiing to the runway, I'm not sure how much you should have expected from the rest of the lesson ;)

Instead of what you didn't do, how about telling us what you did do?

Its an fbo that is at a noncontrolled location. I got there and everything just seemed disorganized. After a preflight that didn’t even come from a checklist I could follow along with, we did some taxi work for about 20 minutes. After takeoff we flew for a while and did some clearing maneuvers or it seemed that’s what she said as we practiced some 30 degree bank turns while I tried to maintain airspeed and altitude by viewing the instruments. After a couple of those I was shown how a decrease in throttle would cause a decrease in altitude. We then flew some more and made a landing, I though ok done. The wind where I live is always gusting, so they explained the crab for landing and how to position the yoke so the aircraft doesn’t get lifted up during the landing, next thing I know we are full throttle again going back in the air which we twice more for a total of 3 landings. We get back do briefing and they don’t tell me what to work on or anything for the next flight except to get to the fbo early next time so I can do the walk around myself.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking as well, but maybe the OP didn't mean all flight time?

1.9 hrs of hobb time. A bit of it was practicing taxing and making turns on the ramp but most of it was in the air.

Its an fbo that is at a noncontrolled location. I got there and everything just seemed disorganized. After a preflight that didn’t even come from a checklist I could follow along with, we did some taxi work for about 20 minutes. After takeoff we flew for a while and did some clearing maneuvers or it seemed that’s what she said as we practiced some 30 degree bank turns while I tried to maintain airspeed and altitude by viewing the instruments. After a coups of those I was shown how a decrease in throttle would cause a decrease in altitude. We then flew some more and made a landing, I though ok done. The wind where I live is always gusting, so she explained the crab for landing and how to position the yoke so the aircraft doesn’t get lifted up during the landing, next thing I know we are full throttle again going back in the air which we twice more for a total of 3 landings. We get back do briefing and they don’t tell me what to work on or anything for the next flight except to get to the fbo early next time so I can do the walk around myself.
I can see your concern with the lack of direction but that can often be stylistic. But before you decide you are wasting your money, I'd sit down with the instructor and discuss it. Instructors often have a default style and it might not mesh completely with the student's. But the good ones can adjust.

Sounds like you learned a lot for a first lesson. Preflight, taxiing (no joke, you'd be surprised how many people bork that up the first time...), turns, maintaining altitude and airspeed, descents, crabbing into the wind, positioning ailerons into wind for rollout/taxi, touch-n-goes and a bunch of landings... yeah, I'd say you learned a lot for a first lesson. And she may have not given you much or anything to work on/think about until the next lesson for a reason. Maybe she wanted to you mentally process what you learned during a long lesson and didn't want to overload you. I honestly don't remember getting much homework between the first few lessons for private.

I would also say, just based on your comments, that you are not having your expectations met by this CFI (who, to me, sounds like she taught you a lot). So, you either need to reset your expectations or find a CFI who will meet them... if such a person exists. My personal opinion - this CFI threw a lot at you on the first day. For me, I would have loved this. But everyone is different, so you need to find the CFI that is a good fit for the way you learn.

My first lesson involves a detailed preflight inspection lesson with explanations, student gets to taxi a bit, i demonstrate a proper takeoff, trim for level flight, let student practice straight and level, then turns, then climbs, and if they are doing well maybe climbing/descending turns, then head back to the barn where I demo a proper landing. I teach 90% eyes outside, glancing inside to confirm. Flight will be around 1 hr.

Then keep adding new stuff as the student can handle.

No real need for student to study anything for second flight, but studying Airplane Flying Handbook or Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge will help.

The thing you are doing really well, is asking questions.
Are you doing the same with your instructor?
From the instructors point of view. Lesson #1 is usually just information overload for the student, everything is new. So just getting you in the plane and moving controls, you are learning a lot. We can start refining specific details in further lessons. We are also evaluating how well you do, if you doing well why change it. I tell my students (usually in later lessons) If I am quiet you are either doing great or I am waiting to see if you will notice and correct something you should recognize and know how to do.
The thing we want to instill in you from lesson #1 is the that YOU will be the pilot in command. This goes beyond just flying the airplane. It also applies to your training. If you are concerned start asking questions.
If you don't know what is going to happen next, ask.
Sounds like she isn't using a syllabus, at least that she has shared with you yet.... Ask if she has one she likes.
Some people really want structured learning and know what is coming next. Others prefer to have the instructor evaluate where they are at and the conditions and work on what makes sense for todays lesson.
If she isn't using a syllabus use one of your own, Gleim makes a good, inexpensive one. Follow along on your own, Have you covered the topics in the lessons it presents? Have you covered topics not in the current plan, but perhaps in a more advanced lesson. Check them off and document in the syllabus what you have and haven't done. Ask questions about what you haven't done?
The Syllabus will also give you a timeline and ground topics to study, that will start prepping you for your written test and Practical test from Lesson #1 if you keep up studying the topics in the syllabus. note 1/2 the lessons are ground lessons/study.
Get a copy of the manual for the airplane, Read it.
Can you meet, talk, or study with some of her other students?

Did you get the theme, Ask Questions?, Read, Study, Take charge of making sure you training is progressing and you are learning. Even if most of that is when you get home.
Some will say get another instructor, if this instructor isn't working out for you that is good advice. But so far I haven't seen anything that makes me think another instructor would be any better or worse for you.
If you do have an opportunity to fly with another instructor do so. One sign of having a good instructor is they won't mind and will probably recommend someone for you to fly with if you want to.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Had my first real lesson today. My CFI who has around 1600 gave me 1.9 hrs of instruction. I’m doing part 61 but most of the flight was really no learning it seemed. CFI didn’t say hey cover this before next flight on Saturday after the flight. Heck, I spent more time looking at the instruments for Ppl training than outside and didn’t hear anything about picking an object on the horizon to view for a visual cue. Someone mentioend I shouldn’t be viewing the ADI at this point in training but I was instructed to view it more often than not. Suggestions on if you’d find a new instructor already based on the summary of how this first lesson went. I’m going Saturday, but man I don’t want to be just burning money feeling like I’m not learning. One things is for sure, I seemed to suck at trying to taxi and using the rudder pedals.
Sometimes I think new students should ban themselves from the internet and talking to other pilots until they have at least a few flights in under their belt. I don't care who the instructor is. It could be some Gold Seal instructor of the year. Someone is going to find some fault with him. That being said, there's lotsa good info out there in cyber world. Guess what I'm saying is, I think it's way to early for you to be jumping to conclussions based on what we have to say.

The thing you are doing really well, is asking questions.
Are you doing the same with your instructor?
From the instructors point of view. Lesson #1 is usually just information overload for the student, everything is new. So just getting you in the plane and moving controls, you are learning a lot. We can start refining specific details in further lessons. We are also evaluating how well you do, if you doing well why change it. I tell my students (usually in later lessons) If I am quiet you are either doing great or I am waiting to see if you will notice and correct something you should recognize and know how to do.
The thing we want to instill in you from lesson #1 is the that YOU will be the pilot in command. This goes beyond just flying the airplane. It also applies to your training. If you are concerned start asking questions.
If you don't know what is going to happen next, ask.
Sounds like she isn't using a syllabus, at least that she has shared with you yet.... Ask if she has one she likes.
Some people really want structured learning and know what is coming next. Others prefer to have the instructor evaluate where they are at and the conditions and work on what makes sense for todays lesson.
If she isn't using a syllabus use one of your own, Gleim makes a good, inexpensive one. Follow along on your own, Have you covered the topics in the lessons it presents? Have you covered topics not in the current plan, but perhaps in a more advanced lesson. Check them off and document in the syllabus what you have and haven't done. Ask questions about what you haven't done?
The Syllabus will also give you a timeline and ground topics to study, that will start prepping you for your written test and Practical test from Lesson #1 if you keep up studying the topics in the syllabus. note 1/2 the lessons are ground lessons/study.
Get a copy of the manual for the airplane, Read it.
Can you meet, talk, or study with some of her other students?

Did you get the theme, Ask Questions?, Read, Study, Take charge of making sure you training is progressing and you are learning. Even if most of that is when you get home.
Some will say get another instructor, if this instructor isn't working out for you that is good advice. But so far I haven't seen anything that makes me think another instructor would be any better or worse for you.
If you do have an opportunity to fly with another instructor do so. One sign of having a good instructor is they won't mind and will probably recommend someone for you to fly with if you want to.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thanks for this detailed reply. I will try and keep an open head and ask more questions Saturday during training.

Back