Another MEI to Watch Out For

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
During my few days off last week I went back to my old school and got my MEI. I am now a holder of the CFI trifecta!!

Checkride wasn't that bad compare to the multitude of other rides I've done. Ground was aerodynamic principles and some basic Twinkie systems. The flight was a nonevent. Did a engine failure on the takeoff roll, a engine failure in the climb out, and an engine failure at altitude. Did a few Vmc demos and taught a steep turn and some stalls. Returned to the field for a single engine landing and a another few quick trips around the pattern.

The most challenge question of the day was "how do you know an engine has failed?" I drove straight into weeds during the climb out. After a few minutes trying to reinvent the wheel the DPE reached over and killed an engine. As I reacted he asked "so how did you know it failed? I bet you noticed via the Ailerons?" He laughed as I said Yes. He said teach your students to notice a dead engine via ailerons before the rudder as it's easier to notice.

cool on the new rating.

He said teach your students to notice a dead engine via ailerons before the rudder as it's easier to notice.

I hope they spend lots of time on 'which'; we still screw that up a lot, with spectacular results. (I've said we still need to re-address this; somehow make it easier for pilots)

The most challenge question of the day was "how do you know an engine has failed?" I drove straight into weeds during the climb out. After a few minutes trying to reinvent the wheel the DPE reached over and killed an engine. As I reacted he asked "so how did you know it failed? I bet you noticed via the Ailerons?" He laughed as I said Yes. He said teach your students to notice a dead engine via ailerons before the rudder as it's easier to notice.

I hope they spend lots of time on 'which'; we still screw that up a lot, with spectacular results. (I've said we still need to re-address this; somehow make it easier for pilots)

Mine was fine with "dead foot dead engine" but also pointed out that the ailerons would be needed and made a point of mentioning that IMC, it's going to be the heading indicator...

In other words, he was pushing the concept of "Don't identify too fast, and make sure you've identified it before the next steps... and make your students slow down a notch once they get past the fumbling stage and start trying to do it at warp speed".

I've always liked those prop sync visual indicators. Besides that it would need to be something like a light that's designed to trigger when the engine is out of a define "good" parameters.

During my few days off last week I went back to my old school and got my MEI. I am now a holder of the CFI trifecta!!

Checkride wasn't that bad compare to the multitude of other rides I've done. Ground was aerodynamic principles and some basic Twinkie systems. The flight was a nonevent. Did a engine failure on the takeoff roll, a engine failure in the climb out, and an engine failure at altitude. Did a few Vmc demos and taught a steep turn and some stalls. Returned to the field for a single engine landing and a another few quick trips around the pattern.

Congratulations on that but wow how does one become a regional F/O without that ?

Hell these days probably a Commercial w/Instrument/ME ratings does it at regionals. Wait, does that 1500 hour rule require a restricted ATP Jordane?

And congrats ARFlyer! :thumbsup:

Hell these days probably a Commercial w/Instrument/ME ratings does it at regionals. Wait, does that 1500 hour rule require a restricted ATP Jordane?

You'll be issued one if you don't have the CC time, age or TT. I was issued a R-ATP just because of my age. I had all the time but I was only 22 when I did the type/ATP ride. As soon as I turned 23, it turned into an unrestricted ATP.

Another stupid and outdated age requirement IMO.

Thats all I had with mine. CMEL, IR, 1,500hrs.

No CFI tickets for me.

What would have made it valid if in the past if its outdated now?

I really don't know, but I don't see why it has to be 23, maybe 21 or even late teens. Maybe the FAA felt pilots needed a few more years of maturity.

I really don't know, but I don't see why it has to be 23, maybe 21 or even late teens. Maybe the FAA felt pilots needed a few more years of maturity.
While pilots undoubtedly need a few more years of maturity the retirement age limit is 65. :);)

If I can swing it financially, I'm going to retire before 65. I like flying but there's no way I want to fly pax until I'm 65.
That always cracks me up when I hear guys say that. I mean unless you have some kind of a REALLY GOOD side gig and I do mean really good - how do you just walk away from $30k a month and 18 days off a month ????????

"Oh well guys I'm just gonna retire at 62 and leave ALL that coin I could've had sitting on the table just so I can diddle-f4ck around on a golf course or walk the beach with my metal detector" !!!!!!

P. S.
This is also why you find used RVs for sale at ridiculously low prices !

Oh well guys I'm just gonna retire at 62 and leave ALL that coin I could've had sitting on the table just so I can diddle-f4ck around on a golf course or walk the beach with my metal detector" !!!!!!
That sounds good to me!

"Oh well guys I'm just gonna retire at 62 and leave ALL that coin I could've had sitting on the table just so I can diddle-f4ck around on a golf course or walk the beach with my metal detector" !!!!!!

Must be all the complaining about only making $300k/yr and how the other airline makes more and the contract hasn't been renegotiated in a few years. That's kind of thing is a heavy burden when you have to work 12 days a month on top of all the complaining. I'd retire early too.

Must be all the complaining about only making $300k/yr and how the other airline makes more and the contract hasn't been renegotiated in a few years. That's kind of thing is a heavy burden when you have to work 12 days a month on top of all the complaining. I'd retire early too.

Let's not encourage Art...the complaining frequency would treble if he retired and had all that time on his hands. ;)

I didn't fully enjoy my last year because of all the BS that is airline flying and commuting but I was off a lot and had pretty good schedules. Basically just flew guarantee and in 2013 (last year) I had until Aug to max out the 401k & IRAs, so like 8 1/2 months. That's primarily why I did it. More retirement money.

Mine was fine with "dead foot dead engine" but also pointed out that the ailerons would be needed and made a point of mentioning that IMC, it's going to be the heading indicator...

I always thought the easiest way to go about this, IMC or not is to roll the wings level with aileron, feet off the pedals and then see which way you are turning via DG and TC.

Obviously in some configurations in VMC its very apparent which engine has failed. But the #1 takeaway regarding an engine failure is to not be in a rush to identify and feather.

Back