Another Log Book Question/ Lost license

texasag93

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
texasag93
If I were to have my Pilot Log stolen, lost, destroyed, or otherwise missplaced, what would I do?

I just scanned some of the pages. What would I do to get the details?

I tape my medical and license in the log book and that would be lost also.

Can I use a scanned version of those also while waiting for replacements and continue to fly?

I know I cannot use a copy of my concealed handgun license. I have to go without until my new license comes in (4-6 weeks). I am OK here in Texas as you do not have to have a license most places that I carry.

I would want to fly, as I am flying once a week and without my license and medical, I would not be able to.:hairraise:

Thanks.

You have to keep an exact duplicate.
The medical and the license can be replaced (OKC), and at least for the medical you can get a fax wire within 24 hours.

Medical: Call the FAA at OKC and have them send you a replacement, might be able to do it online here
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/Logon.asp

Pilot license (student/ppl/etc): same as above

As for flying with scans of your license and medical, sounds like a VERY grey area to me, dont think I would do it... imagining the ramp check now and... yea bad idea

Logbook: I would just use your scanned pages, if you ever have to present them to a DPE or the FAA, just print them up and sign each page verifying the times (just as you would have done before your logbook went awol).

I have my old paper logbook scanned into a *.PDF and stored locally on a few computers, as well as a cloud service. My current logbook is a e-logbook, which is edited via a cloud and backed up to local machines weekly.

If I need to prove hours for an additional rating I just print the whole thing up, have it spiral bound and sign it, bada bing.. never had a issue with employers, faa, dpes, etc.

Last edited:
If I were to have my Pilot Log stolen, lost, destroyed, or otherwise missplaced, what would I do?
Print put the scanned copy, insert a notarized/signed statement that it is a true and accurate copy of the original, and move on.

I just scanned some of the pages. What would I do to get the details?
Scan all the pages, not just some.

I tape my medical and license in the log book and that would be lost also.
Don't do that. Put them in your wallet instead.

Can I use a scanned version of those also while waiting for replacements and continue to fly?
No. But you can go online and obtain an emailed letter which can be used in lieu of your pilot, medical, and instructor certificates until new ones arrive in the mail.
Requesting Temporary Authority to Exercise Certificate Privileges Online

You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.
Just go to this web page, select "Request Temporary Authority," log in, and you can get an immediate email of a .pdf copy of a letter which looks like this:
[FAA Letterhead]
MARCH 24, 2012

[NAME]
[ADDRESS]

OUR RECORDS SHOW YOU HOLD AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE 1234567 WITH RATINGS AIRPLANE SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE LAND, ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER, ENGLISH PROFICIENT, ISSUED mm/dd/yyyy.

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE 003012004CFI WITH RATINGS AIRPLANE SINGLE AND MULTIENGINE, ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE AND HELICOPTER, VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY PILOT CERTIFICATE NUMBER 1234567, ISSUED mm/dd/yyyy, AND EXPIRES mm/dd/yyyy.

SECOND CLASS MEDICAL DATED mm/dd/yyyy; MUST HAVE AVAILABLE GLASSES FOR NEAR VISION.

THIS TEMPORARY AUTHORITY TO EXERCISE THE PRIVILEGES OF YOUR CERTIFICATE(S) EXPIRES ON MAY 23, 2012.

...which you can print and present. According to AFS-810, this provides legal, temporary authority to fly (see "other documentation acceptable to the FAA") if you don't have your original certificates with you. There is not currently any specific guidance to field Inspectors about this, but it's on AFS-810's list of things to do, and any Inspector with questions should know how to contact AFS-810 for futher guidance.

So, if you have a computer and internet access, you can instantely have a valid document to cover the 61.3 requirement for pilot, flight instructor, and medical certificates in the event you left your wallet in your other pocket, or your dog ate your medical, or whatever. Just don't let your dog near your wallet more than once every six months.

I would want to fly, as I am flying once a week and without my license and medical, I would not be able to.:hairraise:
That is correct, but you can have a temporary document to use in their place in minutes.

Last edited:
But you can go online and obtain an emailed letter which can be used in lieu of your pilot, medical, and instructor certificates until new ones arrive in the mail.
I have had to do this and it works well.

Logbooks are valuable. I leave mine at home. You have time to produce those records for the Feds if asked. But you must have your license and medical on your person when exercising those privileges. I keep those in a flight bag with all the other gear I need when flying.

A digital backup copy of the logbook is also a good idea.

I've never understood the idea of taping a pilot certificate and medical in the log book.
Those items are in my wallet. The log book only leaves home when I need to have an instructor endorse it.

If a new FBO needs to see hours for rentals, they get a summary printout from LogBook Pro. I will bring the book for showing proof of Flight Review or other endorsements.

I've never understood the idea of taping a pilot certificate and medical in the log book.
Those items are in my wallet. The log book only leaves home when I need to have an instructor endorse it.
Me too, for the most part...

If a new FBO needs to see hours for rentals, they get a summary printout from LogBook Pro. I will bring the book for showing proof of Flight Review or other endorsements.
For me it depends. If it's a transient rental, I ask in advance if they want the paper log and indicate my preference to not bring it. Since my e-logbook is accessible online and I keep a scan of my current flight review in the cloud, it's generally not an issue.

I don't trust the cloud yet.
I suppose I could keep scanned PDF file endorsements on my iPad, it's with me when flying power, but not in gliders.
I'm looking at the new iPhone or Galaxy (Android) phones, those can store PDF files also.

I lost my original log book a hundred years ago. I worried about that for about a nanosecond when I took up flying again but no big deal to me since I don't fly for a living. :D

If I ever want an IFR or whatever, I should have enough "new" hours to make the requirement.

The club keeps a record of my flying hours, instruction and endorsements for flying their planes. I do keep a copy of the BFR endorsement and carry my license with me but the medical is in the flight bag.

I guess all that matters to me is:

A) am I current in whatever club airplane I want to fly?

B )is my medical up to date?

C) will I have enough hours in my "new" logbook to show whoever needs to know for whatever purpose they need to know it which in my particular situation is nobody for nothing AFAIK at least with current plans.

Cheers

You have to keep an exact duplicate.
The medical and the license can be replaced (OKC), and at least for the medical you can get a fax wire within 24 hours.

You can get the pilot certificate faxed as well (actually, I think they email it now). I thought I'd lost my wallet a few years ago and only found it after cancelling all my credit cards and getting the temp certificates.

It makes sense for a student pilot flying solo. All the required documents are in one place, so that they are easier to keep track of.

Back