Another legalese question?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am having trouble figuring out what a pilot must do, in order to comply with §61.58
The wording in (1) and (2) seems straightforward, but when I try to imagine exactly what a pilot must do, I am not coming up with a picture that plainly explains it!

And I don’t mean the 12/24 month timing. I get that we are doing something at 12 & 24 month intervals.
Likewise I am not referring to the details of what is in the proficiency checks (airwork, emergencies, ifr, SE stuff, whatever.)

I probably just need to know the difference between (1) and (2).
(Plus, a refresher of my grade 4 reading comprehension!)

“(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, to serve as pilot in command of an aircraft that is type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or is turbojet-powered, a person must -

(1) Within the preceding 12 calendar months, complete a pilot-in-command proficiency check in an aircraft that is type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or is turbojet-powered; and

(2) Within the preceding 24 calendar months, complete a pilot-in-command proficiency check in the particular type of aircraft in which that person will serve as pilot in command, that is type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or is turbojet-powered.”

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-A/section-61.58

It's saying any jet PC is required in the past 12 months but you need a PC in the same jet you're flying within 24 months.

You have to have passed a 61.58 check in something within the last 12 months, and in everything for which you wish to remain qualified within the last 24.

if you’re flying only one jet type, you need a 61.58 in it every 12 months. If you’re flying two, you can alternate one this year, the other next year. If you’re flying three, you need to get all three in within the last 24 months, but only one of them needs to be within the last 12.

Back