Another IT guy lost to Aviation

I think that confuses "fail fast" with "ship to the customer and let them tell you what's broken".

Nope. Not at all. I didn't mention one single thing in my earlier post about deliverable hardware. Missiles are built and tested and flown as engineering prototypes long before there are any deliverable items. But finding out something fundamental is "broken" in a missile flight test is way way too late and very expensive.

That missile is composed of PCBs, servos, sensors, packaging, fuel, etc. Every one of those had to be designed, implemented/prototyped, tested, redesigned, etc, etc, long before they were put into something going out to a customer.

That's my point. Agile can be applied to some of those smaller subassemblies in certain circumstances. It's vital that at the planning stage those items be identified. Agile won't be used for everything. Criteria have to be established to determine which items are suitable for Agile and would benefit from it. A broad-brush approach, or applying Agile at too high a system level (like say a propulsion subsystem instead of a fuel pump or an ignitor), costs far more than it saves.

Each component (the in-house ones anyway) was prototyped, tested, tweaked, integrated, tweaked more, etc. In software we call that 'unit testing'. Then at various points full system prototypes were assembled and tested. In software we call that system testing. That's pretty agile.

As one of Raytheon's prime competitors in the missile business, I know a little bit about how these things are done. Prototyping, testing, tweaking, etc., are part of the process but they are NOT substitutes for disciplined design and analysis techniques. Rather, they are data-gathering exercises that inform the design and improve the accuracy of models. (It's possible you didn't get to witness that part of what Raytheon missile designers were doing.) Agile can be effective in this manner when it is used to augment the design process, but it cannot replace that process.

Too many times I have seen program managers and estimators and business capture leads try to slash design budgets by invoking Agile. It just doesn't work that way, at least if you're designing something more complex than a toaster and on which human lives will depend, and I and the chief engineers who worked for me often had to fend off such potential disasters.

More pilatus photos. Less scrum mastery. :D
I don't have too many pics of the Pilatus. But after more than 2000 hrs in it, I have a lot FROM the Pilatus. I'm not an IT transplant either. :cool:

20181122_073705.jpg

Attachments

• 20230530_195756 (1).jpg
    11.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230918_151233 (1).jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230710_195506.jpg
    12.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230716_164314.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230806_180836.jpg
    12.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230515_153449.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220822_150143 (1).jpg
    10.9 MB · Views: 12
Agile has gone off track. The original idea was brilliant but what they've turned it into is worse than before.
On the plus side, chasing this new(ish) fad has largely made the six sigma hysteria go away. So that's good.

I don't have too many pics of the Pilatus. But after more than 2000 hrs in it, I have a lot FROM the Pilatus. I'm not an IT transplant either. :cool:

View attachment 121898
Nice! I’ll post more pics as soon as my next trip happens. I literally posted everything I had in one go.

Okay.

Was Agile used to develop the 737 Max MCAS software? ;)

I'm confident that agile was not used in the development of the 737 Max MCAS software.

op, congratulations on your fortune.
love reading these stories and getting inspired.

Nice! Thanks for the story. Best of luck!

Back