Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
Current equipment:

Stratus 2S

iPad air 32G(WiFi + Cellular)

iPad mini 1st gen(also WiFi + Cellular)

iPhone 5S in side pocket

What i have been doing is using a knee board for the iPad Air. Today I tried my Mini on the yoke(got a RAM mount for it) and I like the positioning much better for IFR, the plate is almost in your scan which means not moving your head nearly as much.

However, the Mini, being a first generation, is not running Foreflight very well... everything is really slow. The screen brightness also leaves something to be desired... I'm going to grab a 64G Mini 4 sometime this week.

Given the above, is there really any reason for me to get the Cellular Mini? I'm thinking I don't need to as the fullsize ipad takes care of things like grabbing the weather on the ground and filing flight plans for IFR.... Got the Stratus onboard for the GPS source... But I want to be sure I'm not missing anything before I make the purchase. The price difference between the Cellular and non-cellular models is significant enough for me to ask:)

Given the above, is there really any reason for me to get the Cellular Mini?

Having a backup GPS + being able to open / close / amend VFR (or file / amend IFR) flight plans on the ramp is pretty convenient.

I've thought of the redundancy angle but I'm not convinced it's necessary. I've never had an iPad failure unless I leave it on the glareshield during lunch, then it overheats:)

However, I submit to the experienced guys here and maybe I just need convincing.

I always tell people to get the cell version. If you don't need it you don't activate it...but if your situation changes and you ever decide you want the data...you are stuck if you just get the wifi version.

I bought my Mini then used it to fly coast to coast with my Stratus...I had zero intention of activating the data plan (upgraded from and Ipad 1 and hardly used the data). That was until I was sitting in the middle of nowhere Georgia on a fuel stop with no wifi and trying to get weather data and forecasts...activated the data plan right then and there and never looked back. We probably would have called it and been stuck for a day if I did not activate and have all the weather data available at my fingertips.

Once I got my mini I pretty much abandoned my full size ipad even for day to day use...and you will probably ultimately do the same. No wifi in your mini will mean you would have to carry both devices all the time if you want data access.

Last edited:
No wifi in your mini will mean you would have to carry both devices all the time if you want data access.

Good argument there. I guess there probably isn't a lot of reason to lug around 2 ipads.

Devil's advocate says... Even if I always carry my iphone?

I use my phone as a 'hot spot' if I need Inet on it.

I have a mini wifi only and iPhone 6. It works just fine. If I'm somewhere that has no wifi and need connectivity for the mini I simply turn on the hotspot on my iPhone. I have Foreflight running on both and when I need to do a last minute weather check or even file a flight plan I just use the iPhone. I have a Stratus 2 so I don't need a GPS in the mini and I carry a spare bad elph GPS just in case ( never needed it). If the extra cost of the cellular mini is important you can do without it just fine.

Normally I wouldn't flinch at the price difference... but my engine is getting repaired right now. So I do care more than I normally would:)

if you already have a Stratus there probably isn't much of a point.

if you already have a Stratus there probably isn't much of a point.
Unless you plan to use it for other things (3G) or want to run location apps that can't read Stratus (internal GPS).

My iPads have been WiFi only but I understand the reasons for having the 3G version.

Having a backup GPS + being able to open / close / amend VFR (or file / amend IFR) flight plans on the ramp is pretty convenient.

The backup GPS is a good feature, but the phone has GPS (and presumably FF) also.

And it's easy to tether the iPad Mini to the iPhone via Personal Hotspot so you can still amend/file/get wx on the ramp. I don't think you'd lose much by going with the WiFi-only version.

That said, I personally would opt for the cellular version because it is just that much simpler and has a built-in GPS that wouldn't require me to switch to my tiny phone for that. Also I use my iPad(s) for much more than just FF and it's convenient to have the GPS and cellular for other stuff.

I found that paying the $10/month to add my ipad was a nice convenience without having to disconnect from my stratus and tether my android phone particularly with the engine running, and I can't get wifi usually once I get the aircraft out, but these situations might not apply to everyone.

I don't have have the cellular version. If I'm on the ramp and need to make changes I turn my mobile hot spot on phone and WiFi to the iPad. I even have my mobile hot spot set up to only allow approved devices so basically only my iPad can talk to it. If my mini goes south I'll pull out my full size. I'd save the 100 bucks over the cellular version..but that's me. Can you mobile hot spot your phone?

I took my fullsize ipad to the hangar today and it appears that it might fit fine with a yoke mount and still leave room for my fingers.

I'm going to experiment a little more with it, if I can make the big one work on the yoke then this will be a non issue.

I can mobile hot spot to my phone OR my ipad air, both are verizon. So if I had a wifi-only mini, then I'd still have a way to connect to data if no wifi was available.

Back