Another influencer CFI kills student

Sounds 10pct truth like we do at the bar, but I like it.
Yeah, I should’ve used the word alleged, or supposed to be, but it was told me for truth.

You would have enjoyed growing up on a small airport in the 50s. I knew pilots that didn’t bother licensing their planes or themselves.

Yeah, I should’ve used the word alleged, or supposed to be, but it was told me for truth.

You would have enjoyed growing up on a small airport in the 50s. I knew pilots that didn’t bother licensing their planes or themselves.
Back home we called them "piratas" (pirates), though mine wasn't the only OCONUS jurisdiction where folks have been accused of "going their own way" so to speak. Alaska tends to run some of that reputation, can't speak for Hawaiians. Heck, even South FL's "134.5" tales are pretty well known as well.

Preliminary NTSB report is out on this. Nothing unexpected really.
I was trying to find any LiveATC recordings but not sure who they were talking to.
I'd suspect KEVV, but no LiveATC for KEVV anymore. I guess they dropped them at some point.

Attachments

• Report_ERA23FA380_193156_11_2_2023 6_00_53 PM.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Back in the 50's there was a guy in our area that flew night checks (the paper kind), I think it was. He would take off, set the autopilot and then an alarm clock, and go to sleep. Clock goes off when it's time to land. Don't think he bothered with flight plans, VFR or IFR. And this was before transponders came out, so I don't know if he was ever caught.

Back in maybe the 70s, there was a guy how did a regular evening flight from mid-West to Eastern seaboard. He would climb, set autopilot, set alarm and go to sleep.

One time, alarm did not go off or he slept through it. He woke up over the Atlantic without enough fuel to get back to land.

Back in maybe the 70s, there was a guy how did a regular evening flight from mid-West to Eastern seaboard. He would climb, set autopilot, set alarm and go to sleep.

One time, alarm did not go off or he slept through it. He woke up over the Atlantic without enough fuel to get back to land.
Nice plot twist…

Back in the 50's there was a guy in our area that flew night checks (the paper kind), I think it was. He would take off, set the autopilot and then an alarm clock, and go to sleep. Clock goes off when it's time to land. Don't think he bothered with flight plans, VFR or IFR. And this was before transponders came out, so I don't know if he was ever caught.
Not exactly sure how that happens. Not doubting you, just saying that’s before the days of area nav. How would you set the nav function on the AP?… let alone a small airplane on the 50’s with nav capable AP.

I don’t have direct knowledge of this legendary individual, but if it’s true that he did what it was said of him, he just got to altitude, set heading maybe with some wind drift correction and used that along with time and airspeed to get him to the general vicinity of his destination. Once the clock went off, he would wake up and tune whatever navaids were available to figure out where he was and how close to his destination. Dead reckoning as in dead asleep.

Preliminary NTSB report is out on this. Nothing unexpected really.
I was trying to find any LiveATC recordings but not sure who they were talking to.
I'd suspect KEVV, but no LiveATC for KEVV anymore. I guess they dropped them at some point.
This can be a new aviation safety idea akin to flight data recorder and CVRs... just have your foreflight post to social medial throughout the flight.

A late friend of mine got a late start from Cincy to S Carolina somewhere and got lost in the dark long before GPS, or at least he did not have one with him. He said it got dark on the ground and thought there was a power outage. He was not the kind of pilot to use flight following. After a while in desperation he called out on 121.5. He got someone and after giving him a squawk code calmly instructed him to do a 180 and gave him vectors to a airport. The controller gave him a phone number to call once he got on the ground.
Turns out he was over the ocean at night! ATC didn't want to tell him until he on the ground.

Last edited:
This one hit home with myself because I had just finished a 2.5 week camping trip down near Louisville Ky when this happened. Of course I watching the weather closely during this time because I had the airplane with me. We had 6-8 weeks of great flying weather almost non stop. It was great as I flew 54 days in row.
On this night my plane just came back and was safely in the hangar but I was still watching the weather as my wife and dog was still down there in our RV. I was going back and forth and working during the week while she stayed there.
I thought to myself glad the plane is back and the next day I was kind of shocked to read about this accident.

I wonder if all the good flying weather helped make this kid complacence?
Some people are so dumb what they put online.
Then it did make me mad when I thought about the poor student and family/friend's.

Last edited:
I live about 3o miles from where the plane went down, the whole sky was lit up that night..I was watching from my back porch, and literally thought to myself " man not a night to be flying" Buddy of mine was on a road about 12 miles from the crash site, about the time the plane went down...said it was hailing so hard he had to pull over, he couldn't see the highway.

So, when something like this happens, do they cross the rainbow bridge immediately due to some sort of trauma / G's or do they ride the fuselage to the ground aware of what is happening?

So, when something like this happens, do they cross the rainbow bridge immediately due to some sort of trauma / G's or do they ride the fuselage to the ground aware of what is happening?
I think that they ride it strapped in to the ground. Hope to never find out. What a piece of work to post stuff about your student online.

I have heard of a case where single wing separation broke the pilots’ necks, but I’m also in the camp of hoping to never find out.

I think it’s possible that a ton of CFIs get lax with 91.103 weather briefing requirements if we’re honest. I’m embarrassed to say I’ve done it and I’ve seen it.

Also, I have constantly noticed that there are certain weather conditions where forecasters are often too optimistic. Coming home the other night from the photo mission I noticed what I thought was a cloud layer starting to form below us about two hours before it was supposed to. We were a couple miles away from Dallas Executive and hurried down and I told ATC in the tower that I thought they were about to go IFR, which they kind of said yeah, a couple hours from now that’s supposed to happen… well, 15 min later it was solid overcast and the next day the controller actually acknowledged the good PIREP when we were taxiing out.

I think part of this may come from the fact that during daylight hours it often is that you can see what’s going on and divert somewhere or choose to avoid a pop-up thunderstorm, but at night there’s a lot of stuff you can’t see and it’s twice as important to have an accurately informed knowledge of what kind of weather you might encounter.

Seems like this guy bumbled his way into an earned Darwin award but it could happen to better CFIs, too.

Last edited:
Also, I have constant noticed that there are certain weather conditions where forecasters are often too optimistic.
Whether optimistic or pessimistic, weather forecasting is still some art included with the science, and local knowledge (which doesn't Really exist for forecasters beyond small areas) can make a huge difference.

Back when I used to get briefings from the local FSS, there was a lot of, “the forecast says this, but it will actually happen like that.” Pilots can develop that local knowledge for their areas as well.

Whether optimistic or pessimistic, weather forecasting is still some art included with the science, and local knowledge (which doesn't Really exist for forecasters beyond small areas) can make a huge difference.

Back when I used to get briefings from the local FSS, there was a lot of, “the forecast says this, but it will actually happen like that.” Pilots can develop that local knowledge for their areas as well.
Checking the resulting weather after making a no-go decision can help with developing local weather knowledge.

Totally. Because of our cloud and visibility requirements for aerial photography I feel like sometimes I have a better read because of noticing trends.

IMG_7820.jpeg
IMG_7821.png

Last edited:
Back