Another homemade spin video

Diana said:
Oh, they harvested the corn last week; we miss the picturesque view of the tall corn.
The corn is gone? Maybe i will fly the cherokee in.
I think it was you that told me the story about the low wing plane going into your corn!
It made me decide i would rather fly in when there is no corn. hah

Rudy said:
The corn is gone? Maybe i will fly the cherokee in.
I think it was you that told me the story about the low wing plane going into your corn!
It made me decide i would rather fly in when there is no corn. hah
Yep Rudy, the corn is gone and I miss it already. And that was Terry in his CJ-6A that ran his wing through the corn when he turned around. Good thing those wings are tough. You'll have to ask him about it sometime. :)

Diana said:
Yep Rudy, the corn is gone and I miss it already. And that was Terry in his CJ-6A that ran his wing through the corn when he turned around. Good thing those wings are tough. You'll have to ask him about it sometime. :)
Haha oh ok, I will ask him!

FYI-

The entire 7 series is certified for spins except for the following models: 7GC, 7GCA, 7GCBA, 7GCBC on floats, 7HC, 7KC, and any model with specified Ag equipment installed. Additionally some models have baggage and CG limitations also.

The Champ does fine spins BUT climbing to a spinning altitude takes awhile.

Tom-

Skyport said:
FYI-

The entire 7 series is certified for spins except for the following models: 7GC, 7GCA, 7GCBA, 7GCBC on floats, 7HC, 7KC, and any model with specified Ag equipment installed. Additionally some models have baggage and CG limitations also.

Tom-

Thanks for the info on spins. I don't think my flight school will let me do spins in the Champ. But it is good to know that the thing is stressed for spins.

Jim G

grattonja said:
But it is good to know that the thing is stressed for spins.
It's less a matter of stress than it is control authority. Spins aren't that hard on an airplane. I think the biggest hazards would be 1) an impatient pilot who kicked the rudder before the wing stalled and put it into a high-speed spiral or 2) a panicky pilot who didn't like looking at the ground and cranked back too hard on the stick to pull out of the dive. Remember, airspeed is LOW in a spin, although descent rate can get up there.

And if you can be checked out to fly the thing solo, seems to me any maneuver for which the airplane is approved is fair game. Is this a dual-only rental situation?

Ken Ibold said:
1) an impatient pilot who kicked the rudder before the wing stalled and put it into a high-speed spiral or

Even if you kick rudder before the wing stalls, it still should stall out (quickly) as long as the stick is held full back.

We did a number of techniques for stall entry, and one was from a maneuver similar to a snap spin. Pull power, maintain altitude until speed dropped to 85kts (the recommended snap entry speed, and well above Vso), then simultaneously kick full rudder and pull stick full back. The plane snapped inverted, then started to drunkenly depart, then finally went into the full spin.

Now if someone kicked full rudder without pulling the stick back to stall, thinking THAT was a spin, well, they'd be in the graveyard spiral, right?

Man, as soon as I pass the IR checkride, I'm going back to SkyRanch and go have some fun dual aerobatics. I'm itchin for some fun.

Ken Ibold said:
It's less a matter of stress than it is control authority. Spins aren't that hard on an airplane. I think the biggest hazards would be 1) an impatient pilot who kicked the rudder before the wing stalled and put it into a high-speed spiral or 2) a panicky pilot who didn't like looking at the ground and cranked back too hard on the stick to pull out of the dive. Remember, airspeed is LOW in a spin, although descent rate can get up there.

And if you can be checked out to fly the thing solo, seems to me any maneuver for which the airplane is approved is fair game. Is this a dual-only rental situation?

I can rent the plane solo, and have several times. I would not be comfortable spinning it solo, having never spun anything in my life. I don't know if the plane can be spun with two on board. I doubt we could get enough altitude, even out here on the east coast, to make it comfortable to spin. In the Champ, all the margins seem a bit narrower than I am used to in the skyhawks.

I need a bit of time in a citabria or something similar, dual, to get me ready first.

I would be afraid of pulling back too hard too fast on recovery. As much as I love flying the Champ, it still feels kind of delicate to me.

Jim G

Skyport said:
FYI-

Tom-

I appreciate the info. Where would I get certification info for a 1946 7AC? Basic, 65 horse, no electric on board. I guess they didn't come with a POH back then ;)

Jim G

grattonja said:
I appreciate the info. Where would I get certification info for a 1946 7AC? Basic, 65 horse, no electric on board. I guess they didn't come with a POH back then ;)
For certification data, here is the TCDS. And just for yucks I threw in another file, which is out of a 46 Champ handbook.

grattonja said:
I would not be comfortable spinning it solo, having never spun anything in my life. I don't know if the plane can be spun with two on board.
Absolutely do not spin it without some instruction!!

It can be spun with two aboard. I have a good friend who owns a 46 Champ. Spins not a problem, mon.

If you're ever in Jacksonville and want to do some spins, lemme know. Or if you come to Gaston's next year I'm sure someone there (hint: her initials are DR) will do some spins with you.

Ken Ibold said:
Or if you come to Gaston's next year I'm sure someone there (hint: her initials are DR) will do some spins with you.
Sounds like fun to me (depending on how much you weigh). :)

Bill Jennings said:
Even if you kick rudder before the wing stalls, it still should stall out (quickly) as long as the stick is held full back.
Bill, I'm not sure about this. For awhile I was going into spirals instead of spins. Those times I had the stick back all the way, over and down and around and around and it wasn't stalled.

Bill Jennings said:
Man, as soon as I pass the IR checkride, I'm going back to SkyRanch and go have some fun dual aerobatics. I'm itchin for some fun.
Sounds like a great idea. What maneuvers do you want to do the most?

grattonja said:
I doubt we could get enough altitude, even out here on the east coast, to make it comfortable to spin.

We used 3000agl for the starting altitude for most aerobatic training maneuvers. For 3 turn spins, we climbed an additional 500 to 3500agl before spinning.

grattonja said:
I can rent the plane solo, and have several times. I would not be comfortable spinning it solo, having never spun anything in my life. I don't know if the plane can be spun with two on board. I doubt we could get enough altitude, even out here on the east coast, to make it comfortable to spin. In the Champ, all the margins seem a bit narrower than I am used to in the skyhawks.

I need a bit of time in a citabria or something similar, dual, to get me ready first.

I would be afraid of pulling back too hard too fast on recovery. As much as I love flying the Champ, it still feels kind of delicate to me.

Jim G
Jim, sure you can spin with two. I've only ever spun with two on board. Also, 5,000 ft. gives you plenty of altitude for practice. You're going to spin maybe 1, 1-1/2 turns. You would do this with a CFI a bunch of times before doing it on your own, anyway.

Ken Ibold said:
For certification data, here is the TCDS. And just for yucks I threw in another file, which is out of a 46 Champ handbook.

You guys are all GREAT! Thanks for the type cert. I have the handbook, bought that DVD on ebay with the handbook and the video from the factory (I really do try to learn whatever I can before I fly something new). But the type cert is new to me, has useful info, and will give me something to read this afternoon between preliminary hearings. Thanks so much!

Jim G

Diana said:
Sounds like fun to me (depending on how much you weigh). :)

I'm trying to convince my wife that we need to take a "vagabond" vacation next year to Gaston's in the Champ. Little packing, etc, a big, cross country, VFR adventure. So far I am not having much luck. We shall see. Maybe once she gets checked out in it (I know she will fall in love with the old plane as much as I have) she will like the idea better.

If we get down there, I would love to ride for a spin or two in your awesome aircraft. I am down to about 190 lbs, courtesy of some blood pressure issues that I am trying to finally resolve before next months medical :hairraise:

Hopefully, some day I can take you up on that offer.

Jim G

grattonja said:
If we get down there, I would love to ride for a spin or two in your awesome aircraft. I am down to about 190 lbs,

Jim, we're good to go! :D

grattonja said:
courtesy of some blood pressure issues that I am trying to finally resolve before next months medical :hairraise:

Hope you can get that worked out. :yes:

Diana said:
Jim, we're good to go! :D

Hope you can get that worked out. :yes:

Lots of good advice from our Dr. Bruce, and I think I have the proper documentation for next month now. As long as I don't "white coat" too badly on the blood pressure test, I should be good to go for two more years. Sadly, my first 3 year medical is going to be my ONLY 3 year medical, turned the "magic" 4-0 this year :no:

I have really enjoyed your videos on this site. I envy you and your S.O. A strip on a farm is one of the things that I would just love. My wife and I are always talking about getting the property next to ours, so that we could put in a strip. Fly off the property to the airport, pick up the "travel" airplane at the airport, go wherever, never drive a car. My fantasy.

Jim G

Diana, hard for me to say which I liked more, the spins or the music. Ok, the spins, and the little top at the end made me grin even more. Thanks for creating the video!

Elizabeth H

Back