Another homemade spin video

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Finally had a good day to shoot spins from inside the Citabria. Tom, my cameraman was done after four spins. He had the hard job. :yes:

http://www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/dr_spins.wmv

Please don’t grade my spins; these weren’t competition style, just out messing around over the farm on a beautiful day.

Thanks once again Chip for putting the video on your server. :)

Chip, spins to the right next time. ;)

Diana said:
LOL! Oops, should have made some kind of disclaimer/warning thingy for those who are sensitive. :redface:

What are you talking about? You did give a warning: "Tom, my cameraman was done after four spins."

Great video! I liked it. That looks like way too much fun. :goofy: :goofy:

Tell Tom he does a great job. You may be getting all the glory but I know as well as Tom does that it's the little guy behind the curtain that makes a show come together.

fgcason said:
What are you talking about? You did give a warning: "Tom, my cameraman was done after four spins."
Good point Frank. :D
fgcason said:
Great video! I liked it. That looks like way too much fun. :goofy: :goofy:
When you come to the farm, we can do those if you want. :)
fgcason said:
Tell Tom he does a great job. You may be getting all the glory but I know as well as Tom does that it's the little guy behind the curtain that makes a show come together.
I'll pass that along. I told him that you would appreciate what he does. :)

Diana said:
When you come to the farm, we can do those if you want.

Oh definitely! I've only been through 1/4 - 1/3 turn when my instructor long ago did a bonehead with the rudder to make the stall break. It broke all right...just like in your pictures though in the other direction with the same initial view. Surprising and interesting but fun. I did get it recovered before he managed to touch anything.
We'll have to do a few other things too but it may take a couple flights. I've been on the ground too long so I will have to get back to standards before I come so I won't yack on the back of your head. :D

Diana said:
I'll pass that along. I told him that you would appreciate what he does.

Back in college we did four "Magic Of Science" shows to drum up interest in physics and chemistry. I was the little person behind the curtain, under the table, at the control console and scrambling around on all fours while two others got all the glory. Tom and I have the same job. It's very rewarding in it's own way...

Curiously enough, I actually watched your other video's again earlier today and was wondering when you'd do the next one... Strange...

Let'sgoflying! said:
Unsolicited grading: '10'!
Nice Diana! Post more. We want more turns! Will it go right?

Thanks Dave, that's sweet! Wish we could have done spins at Gaston's. Next year for sure. How many turns would you like? :D

Yes, it will go right, I'm not as comfortable turning right, but need to do them (right Chip?), so may go practice in the morning. I'm looking for volunteers for the job as cameraman; any takers? :)

Diana: As always supurb video and as always the music is great and adds to the experience.

AdamZ said:
Diana: As always supurb video and as always the music is great and adds to the experience.
Thanks Adam, that's sweet. :)

Maybe we can do spins when you come to Gaston's next year. :yes:

Diana said:
Thanks Adam, that's sweet. :)

Maybe we can do spins when you come to Gaston's next year. :yes:

Hopefully the visibility will be more than 3 miles.

lancefisher said:
Hopefully the visibility will be more than 3 miles.
It will be, I'm just sure of it. :yes:

Dave and I were hoping to do spins last time too, dangit.

bbchien said:
Fun, fun, fun! :) You were kind, and wise. Only 2 1/2 turns!

Yes, I hope to use him again, so decided to be both kind and wise, like you said. He's a hard worker, a good sport, never complains and the price is right. :)

Diana said:
Chip, spins to the right next time. ;)

Diana and Tom, thank you thank you thank you. You put a smile on my face this Monday morning, first day back to work after a wonderful week on the beach. Thank you!

I really like the spinning top at the end, you're getting a real knack for putting together nice films.

wow - i just saw this post. Awesome video. That 3rd spin got going very quickly. Looks like fun. Someday (like 15 years down the line, I think), I'd like to try that.

Very nice, Diana! I liked the takeoff and landing, too. It brought back good memories.

Bill Jennings said:
Diana and Tom, thank you thank you thank you. You put a smile on my face this Monday morning, first day back to work after a wonderful week on the beach. Thank you!

Glad you liked it Bill. :)

Wondered where you were. On the beach sounds mighty nice. :D

Bill Jennings said:
I really like the spinning top at the end, you're getting a real knack for putting together nice films.
Thanks Bill. Did you notice the crossover spin with the top? I think that's what it's called when it changes direction. I know why it happens in an airplane, but don't quite know why the top did it. :dunno:

NickDBrennan said:
wow - i just saw this post. Awesome video. That 3rd spin got going very quickly. Looks like fun. Someday (like 15 years down the line, I think), I'd like to try that.
Thanks Nick. Now, I can't help but wonder why you're going to wait 15 years?

Toby said:
Very nice, Diana! I liked the takeoff and landing, too. It brought back good memories.
Thank you Toby. Maybe you will fly here in your new airplane now. :)

Oh, they harvested the corn last week; we miss the picturesque view of the tall corn.

Diana said:
Wondered where you were. On the beach sounds mighty nice. :D

Rented a beachfront condo in Destin, sleep in late, fix a big leisurely breakfast, hang on the beach until mid-afternoon, slowly get cleaned up, early seafood dinner at a waterfront/beachfront restaurant. Walk the beach with family until sunset, put the girlie down, sip wine with the wifey on the balcony listening to the waves come on shore. Rinse/repeat 6 times.

Absolutely wonderful, and I even bought an acrobatic trainer and was doing loops and cuban-8's in no time. (acrobatic trainer = beginner stunt kite)

ObFlying: rented a 152 (with ballast) and did some coastline flying/sightseeing. Found Sherry and Holly on the beach and did turns around them at 500agl. Fun fun fun. :D

Greg Bockelman said:
How was the yield?
Greg, I don't know yet, it was probably not good this year d/t the drought. At least they didn't have to turn it into silage like some farmers around here.

How bout the corn up there?

How does Tom hold the camera so still while you are spinning? Is the camera mounted somewhere? Just curious.

Brook

Awesome video Diana!! I just came across it, looks like a blast!
Tom did an awesome job, I have had people not be able to hold the camera still on a landing, but then again maybe that says something about me! haha

HPNFlyGirl said:
How does Tom hold the camera so still while you are spinning? Is the camera mounted somewhere? Just curious.
Brook, I waited till he got home to ask him, since I couldn't see him. :)

He held the camera in his right hand with his elbow on the little window sill and with his left hand pushed his arm snug next to the window and kept holding it there to steady it. He started to get a bit queasy after spin #3, but wanted to do one more.

Rudy said:
Awesome video Diana!! I just came across it, looks like a blast!
Tom did an awesome job, I have had people not be able to hold the camera still on a landing, but then again maybe that says something about me! haha

Glad you liked it Rudy. We still need to get you up. Looks like we won't be doing the recover after all, so maybe sometime soon?

Now, about those landings...what happens in Pittsburg stays in Pittsburg. ;)

Diana said:
Glad you liked it Rudy. We still need to get you up. Looks like we won't be doing the recover after all, so maybe sometime soon?
Yeah that would be great Diana!

Your videos are amazing, Diana. I could feel my stomach tightening up with the tightening turns. Pretty cool stuff. I need to get my flight school to get an aerobatic plane on the rental line. I would love to give spins a try.

Really, the videos, with music, are commercial quality. You and Tom do an excellent job with them.

Jim G

Diana:

It looks as if your plane runs down the runway with it's nose too high!! Then you drop the nose before takeoff---somethings wrong with this picture :rolleyes:

Dave

grattonja said:
I need to get my flight school to get an aerobatic plane on the rental line. I would love to give spins a try.

Are Champs not certified for spins? Being basically the father of the Citabria, I would think it is. Anyone know for sure?

Greg Bockelman said:
How was the yield?
Greg, they got 81 bushels to the acre. It was insured, so they will make up for the difference. Interesting game.

Diana said:
Greg, they got 81 bushels to the acre. It was insured, so they will make up for the difference. Interesting game.
Some guys up here ate getting 60. They are having to keep much more of the yield to feed the livestock. BAD year.

grattonja said:
Your videos are amazing, Diana. I could feel my stomach tightening up with the tightening turns. Pretty cool stuff. I need to get my flight school to get an aerobatic plane on the rental line. I would love to give spins a try.

Really, the videos, with music, are commercial quality. You and Tom do an excellent job with them.
Thank you Jim! I've seen the Citabria wrap up much tighter and deeper and that's an interesting ride. Hope you can get some spin training. I also wonder about the Champ and spins. Maybe Lance or somebody can answer that one. I know he does them in his Porterfield.

Dave Siciliano said:
Diana:
It looks as if your plane runs down the runway with it's nose too high!! Then you drop the nose before takeoff---somethings wrong with this picture :rolleyes:
Dave, I'm sure it's Tom's fault somehow. ;)

You gonna do spins at Gaston's next year?

trombair said:
hey diana!
great shoot! nice field, too!
just for giggles, here's a link to a fellow here in so. calif. who takes videos in his RV-6. pretty amazing stuff.:goofy:

http://www.rvproject.com/videos.html
Interesting videos. Does the RV have inverted fuel and oil? It looks like it's easy to roll. Hmmmm. Does it do hammerheads? Hmmmmm. How much acro can you do in them. Wonder how many G's they can handle?

Back