Another fatal accident in Colorado - Carbon Cub at 1CO8

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Two killed at Rocky Mountain Airpark / Everitt Field today.

Carbon Cub, all accounts seem to indicate stall/spin.

Locals have passed around the name of one on board. Not going to say who until an official announcement is made. No news on the identity of the other pilot on board, they're probably working on trying to contact family.

But I knew one of the pilots on board. I'm not happy.

Here's our bird in their flyer:
http://rockymountainairpark.net/4web-front.pdf

And a video we shot last year going over to the annual fly-in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAqmW6z888A

I was watching the WX for a flight to GXY tomorrow, but I know after this news tonight that my head wouldn't be in the game. I'm driving.

RIP, friend. Until we meet again...

Is that Pete's place?

Nate that stinks so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Boy that tagline at the end of the news story got me ticked.
"Some neigbors say that the crash proves the field is dangerous and should be regulated or shut down":mad3:

"Some neigbors say that the crash proves the field is dangerous and should be regulated or shut down":mad3:
There has been a ongoing battle with the neighbors over Rocky Mountain Airpark. When you drive by on the road there are protest signs....

another moron news reporter saying "it appears the engine stalled and the airplane fell from the sky".

An eye-witless account reported "I don't know much about airplanes, but it looked like they were doing tricks."

And yet another report that "it's a crash zone out here." Yeah, 5 (not all fatalities) in the last - what - 7 years? I think we've had 5 fatalities on the roads in the last 5 months.

Condolences to the family and friends for their losses.

Now that it's public information that it was Pete...

I met Pete a few times. Most notable was last year at the annual 1CO8 fly-in. He was supervising the pancake breakfast and making sure that no one walked away hungry. You could tell that it was his goal that everything be perfect that day for everyone who came.

He was the driving force behind the airport, which originally was another family's land, or so I'm told. Thus the name, Everitt Airfield. Rocky Mountain Airpark was for marketing. Everyone called it Everitt. There's a beautiful green and red sign on the hangar with the Everitt Airfield name and logo.

Tireless in his efforts to build his dream, the airport started a number of years ago, and as you can tell from my links above, both of my co-owners in 79M, LLC knew Pete far better than I. When they first purchased the aircraft they rented hangar space at 1CO8 until they could find the hangar they wanted at KAPA.

During that time, they befriended Pete and one of my co-owners and his wife are both pro photographers. They assisted with the early marketing materials for the airport. Thus, 79M was the easy to use photo subject for the early information materials.

79M and all of us were therefore frequent visitors to 1CO8 and on the "non-resident permission list" to stop by anytime. One of my co-owners always liked going out there and would ring up Pete on his cell phone to check the condition of the grass runway before heading over. 79M being a 182, sometimes the field conditions weren't ideal for a nose-dragger. The field is rough grass, but the Goboshes from KAPA handled it fine and while it's probably not the nicest thing to do to our gyro-based avionics, 79M seemed to enjoy the grass even if she did shake our teeth a bit out there.

In fact, I can say my first landing on grass ever in a light aircraft was in 79M at 1CO8. It has an appeal all its own, rough or smooth.

Last time I was out there was the fly-in last summer in the video above, and I have some great photos of that day. Parents and kids everywhere, airplanes of all types, pancakes, and even a mini-flyby by a Guard F-16... Who asked to "circle for a moment" on their way into BKF. (Nothing official. Wouldn't want the brass angry.)

The Carbon Cub guys were there giving test flights to any potential buyer they could find. A breeze out of the East and the CC would almost hover in slow flight over the runway up 1000' AGL. Showing off a little but not doing low-passes or any antics. Just running around the pattern showing off the capabilities of that bird. (Different airframe than the accident aircraft.)

The grass was dry and rough and Pete knew this was a downside for the non-backcountry equipped aircraft. I heard at the KAPA gas pumps from a 180 owner that hangared out there in the summertime, who was "hiding out" at KAPA for the winter that Pete had worked much of the winter to install a massive sprinkler system to grow better (softer) runway grass. I can only assume that someday after the runway grass was in great shape, a future project would have been runway edge lighting. Who knows.

It was a true labor of love for Pete. He also had some part in building an enormous two-story "community" hangar, which always had lots of airplanes in it, and in a corner under the stairs, he was building his own aircraft. We were peeking in at it when he happened by on that busy day, and you could just see the twinkle in his eye that a number of us had pushed the plastic aside and stuck our noses in to see his work.

The hangar also had a large upstairs entertaining room for "hanging out" which led to a large deck, but I noticed that everyone's lawn chairs were parked downstairs, in the main hangar door. Closer to the airplanes and no steps to climb. I can only imagine that it must have been the morning place to sit, drink a cup of coffee, and look out over the runway for residents of the Airpark on nice mornings.

As someone else mentioned, there have been huge problems with the neighbors. Most fanned by a small number of NIMBYs, including one guy who's not even a property owner, but who rents a house quite a ways off of the airfield, on the final approach course. He doesn't like airplanes, it's very plain to see. He's got tons of videos on YouTube and even captured 79M on final approach once on one of them for a fly-in in 2009 I believe. His video commentary is full of the usual non-sensical stuff about "lack of safety" and "dangerous airplanes" usually reserved for such small folk who aspire to their biggest opportunity in life as being able to shut down the dreams of others. Bitter is an understatement with this man, and having seen the type before, there's probably no point in attempting to reason with him.

This of course stirs up all the neighbors greatly and there have been numerous meetings and lots of press, all things a small airport doesn't need. The crashes haven't helped public opinion either, but none to date have ever been the fault of the airstrip or its facilities. But they bring out the kooks with their agenda to close the place every time, and I see in the news reports that other neighbors are now saying and mimicking the words they're hearing over and over... "dangerous", "out of control", etc. My understanding is that Pete was a pretty good "diplomat", something us pilots aren't often good at. I never saw him in "action" in this role, however.

My fear is that this is a turning point for 1CO8. Either the loss of Pete will doom the airport, or it will invigorate the owners and community and bring them closer. Someone will also have to pick up the hard labor of runway and taxiway maintenance, and I have almost zero information on the financial aspects of the sub-division or the Airpark itself.

It's a darn nice community. One of the most prominent houses with a hangar adjacent to the runway is a top-level exec at Jepp, I hear. But it's going to need another caretaker that loved it as much as Pete did, or a whole lot of caretakers and volunteers.

The plots are expensive by most standards, even for us "rich" aircraft owners. Building a house would make it even more so. Too rich for my blood, as they say... But if there were one airport I've seen in Colorado that I'd love to call "home", 1CO8 is it.

Not trying to be combative, but in all seriousness, I hope the runway gets the usual Spring work done and the community holds a massive fly-in this year in Pete's honor. We'd certainly take 79M out and I would happily man a pancake griddle if it were the right weekend.

Maybe it would annoy the NIMBYs enough that they'd make fools of themselves on camera during a memorial tribute day. One could only hope.

I hope they had a lawn chair waiting for Pete beside a quiet little runway and the grass was already green, well-watered, and they gave him a nice lawn tractor to trim it, that never breaks down. And that lots of friends fly in to visit in all sorts of great airplanes and sit and chat for a while, with no need to sign limited liability waivers or anything like that. Maybe he'll now get some time to finish that airplane too, and get to fly it from that lovely little grass strip some clear, calm, morning for the first time.

RIP Pete, and whoever the fellow aviator was, since we don't know yet. I wish I'd have flown 79M out for a morning cup of coffee at Everitt to get to know you better. But I'll remember you as you were last summer, running around making sure everyone was fully enjoying their time at "your" airport. Godspeed and happy flying.

excellent tribute, Nate. Sounds like a guy I would have liked to have known.

I know that field, its just east of the Parker area. I've been there a few times. I always thought, what a quaint little grass field. As always it harkens back to the past, a much simpler times with tail draggers and good folks.

Very sad indeed.

another moron news reporter saying "it appears the engine stalled and the airplane fell from the sky".

An eye-witless account reported "I don't know much about airplanes, but it looked like they were doing tricks."

And yet another report that "it's a crash zone out here." Yeah, 5 (not all fatalities) in the last - what - 7 years? I think we've had 5 fatalities on the roads in the last 5 months.

Condolences to the family and friends for their losses.

To most people there are two types of airports; those that are far enough away (and good), and those that are too close (and thus bad) to them. Example: I live near a hospital that has a medical chopper landing once in a while, and some dumba$$ that "just" moved to the neighborhood started complaing about it. Never mind the chopper probably shows up once a week if we're unlucky. Of course he's complaining about the ambulances too. I just about walked up to his door with one of his stupid fliers and asked the dumba$$ if he failed to notice the 100 year old, multi-story hospital (with a helipad!) when he bought the f*cking house. :mad2: I settled for putting out a few fliers showcasing their (husband and wife) idiocy by telling people how nice the ambulance drivers are at turning off the sirens when possible and how little the chopper lands. not

As far as the "crash zone" comment, people only think little planes "fall from the sky" and are "dangerous" but cars crashing is "normal" (if that isn't sad, I don't know what is) to them. Failure to maintain adequate separation is a common cause in vehicular accidents. "Pilot error" is common in both overall, in fact. But cars "just crash" in "accidents" for no reason. Planes? Planes are "dangerous" and "kill lots of people" "all the time" and so on. That's the logic, sold by the media, to sell advertising. Only if an automobile "accident" is horrific does it make the news because people are inured to it.

Imagine if every auto accident was investigated by the NTSB like a plane crash, and the drivers actually had something like the FAR's enforced on them like pilots do. 703? (doh! number might be wrong) checkrides anyone? Even for something as little as scraping a bush. (thread on that a few months back) How about we force you to maintain your road vehicles with inspections like airplanes? No? Then I'm sorry, you're not qualified to judge.

I'm waiting for someone to start complaining about Brennand (79C), or Outagamie County (KATW), even though most people that live near them now have houses that were built after the airports existed. I think that airports should try to be good neighbors, don't get me wrong, but STFU if you bought a house near an existing airport please. Try to work with them and resolve things, instead of simply demanding they shut down. They've got just as much a right to exist as your McMansion, and in fact have some precedence since they were there first. :incazzato: However most pilots I've met do try to be nice and try to avoid irritating people.

My condolences to the families involved. :sad:

Unfortunately I witnessed this accident and was one of the first individuals on the scene. It was a horrible thing to experience but for those of you who knew Pete I thought I should share that neither he or his passenger suffered, they were both killed instantly. The accident was caused by a stall on take off about 150 - 200 feet above the runway. Pete was a great man and he will be missed.

"You are standing upon a shore....somewhere.
A ship before you spreads her white sails and
starts for the blue ocean. She is a beautiful
and strong ship and you watch her until she
hangs like a speck of white cloud just where
the sea and sky come down to mingle with
each other.

Then someone at your side says, "There...
well, well. She's Gone."

Gone Where? From your sight-that's all.
She is just as large in mast and spar as
when she left your shore, just as strong
and able. Her diminished size is in you,
not in her, and while someone at your
side is saying, "She's gone..." there are
other eyes watching her coming and ready
to take up the glad shout, "There she comes.""

Ernest K. Gann

--------

I am sorry for your loss. May his family find that peace that he is surely enjoying now.

Unfortunately I witnessed this accident and was one of the first individuals on the scene. It was a horrible thing to experience but for those of you who knew Pete I thought I should share that neither he or his passenger suffered, they were both killed instantly. The accident was caused by a stall on take off about 150 - 200 feet above the runway. Pete was a great man and he will be missed.

Jason, I am so sorry. Having worked with a number of folks in SAR who've seen and assisted at crash sites, please don't hesitate to find friendly ears to talk to if you have any signs of post-traumatic stress.

My phone is always on, and while I'm not a professional in that field, I do know how to find them.

Maybe we'll get a chance to meet someday. Until then... fly safe, and thanks for trying to help. It sounds like there was nothing anyone could do.

Jason,

I've been in your shoes in a similar situation with a Cessna 172 and three teenagers - one of whom survived. It's pretty tough. I still remember it vividly 8 years later. So sorry to hear of the loss.

Ryan

Nate that was a great tribute. The loss was obviously aviations as well as that of his family.

This is just terrible. There are some many stories of really great people in aviation who meet their end in such a tragic manner. He seems like the kind of guy every airport needs around. To stall on take off makes it even more tragic and perplexing. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone.

Nate,
That was a great tribute. I've got tears in my eyes as I write this. I'm tempted to fly out there for the tribute, if you can make it happen!

Jason,
Sorry you (or anyone) had to deal with that.

Pete,
Fly west with pride, for you have left the world a better place. May we live up to your example.

I had the pleasure of meeting Pete a few years ago at a 180/185 fly-in in Johnson Creek. He immediately made a good impression on me with his great personality and his tremendous knowledge and love of flying. I remember him joking about how slow (tongue in cheek) his particular 180 was. Even though I had just met Pete, he was the kind of guy that made you feel like you could drop in anytime for a visit to his Airpark. My condolences to the family.

Pete knew I was looking for a big-engine 180 and let me know about the plane I have now when it came up for sale. The private airport where it was based (and where I went to close the deal) is just a few miles from the airport that Pete owned.

I got to spend a morning with Pete late last year with one of Nate's partners in 79M at the airfield (we flew over just to visit and see the place). Such a nice guy...gave me a tour of the place, showed me the Van's RV he was building, and offered me a great deal on renting a hangar. He told me stories about flying the 777 (he had flown one back from Brazil the night before) and landing F-16s on carrier decks. He was genuinely interested in my flying "career" and wanted to help. What a shame that such a good guy is gone.

I think it is particularly disgusting that some of the local news networks have used the story to further their agenda to close the field by interviewing those who opposed it. Not the time or place for such talk.

What's the # for the news network? I want to call them and tell them that what they are doing is immoral, and sickening that they are using someones death to get what they want.

I got to spend a morning with Pete late last year with one of Nate's partners in 79M at the airfield (we flew over just to visit and see the place).

Must've been the Colonel? ;)

Ahem... (Clearing throat...)

The legal beagles have informed me that we're never "partners" and are never to refer to each other as such. We're "co-owners of an LLC that owns an aircraft". Else the "corporate veil" as such might be easily pierced. ;)

That way if either the Colonel or the Chess Master were to decide to go start dropping heavy objects on people's heads from the open door of 79M, I just might get to keep my house and its contents.

One infamous aviation attorney recommended that I just call my co-owners, "wallets". He was only half-joking. No, as I think about it, he wasn't joking at all.

The "P" word is banned from use. Ha.

What's the # for the news network? I want to call them and tell them that what they are doing is immoral, and sickening that they are using someones death to get what they want.
Gosh, you must make a lot of phone calls to news media if you find using tragedy and people's reactions to how they think it affects them in order to get ratings immoral and sickening.

Horrible tragedy. People using it to foster their agendas. The news reporting on it so people will watch the channel. I certainly didn't see all the stories and I'm no great fan of the media, but I haven't seen much in the Denver media that appeared to be particularly biased. I'd be surprised if anyone other than the local residents of a very small community (and pilots of course) even care about the issue.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...9202,-104.6525&spn=0.024163,0.064888&t=h&z=14

Horrible tragedy. People using it to foster their agendas. The news reporting on it so people will watch the channel. I certainly didn't see all the stories and I'm no great fan of the media, but I haven't seen much in the Denver media that appeared to be particularly biased. I'd be surprised if anyone other than the local residents of a very small community (and pilots of course) even care about the issue.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...9202,-104.6525&spn=0.024163,0.064888&t=h&z=14
I'll bet what happened is that the reporters who went out there to cover the accident saw the signs along Delbert Road (labeled as County Rd 1 in your link) declaring the area a "crash zone" etc. and investigated further. I wouldn't be surprised if they got calls from the neighbors too. I'll also bet that 99% of the viewers had no idea the airport was there or about the ongoing controversy and have forgotten about the story already. Even some of the pilots I work with have never heard of the airport.

Must've been the Colonel? ;)

Ahem... (Clearing throat...)

The legal beagles have informed me that we're never "partners" and are never to refer to each other as such. We're "co-owners of an LLC that owns an aircraft". Else the "corporate veil" as such might be easily pierced. ;)

That way if either the Colonel or the Chess Master were to decide to go start dropping heavy objects on people's heads from the open door of 79M, I just might get to keep my house and its contents.

One infamous aviation attorney recommended that I just call my co-owners, "wallets". He was only half-joking. No, as I think about it, he wasn't joking at all.

The "P" word is banned from use. Ha.

Oops! Co-owner, I mean. :wink2: The name rhymes with a well-known American motorcycle.

Oops! Co-owner, I mean. :wink2: The name rhymes with a well-known American motorcycle.

LOL!

We're meeting at Perfect Landing tomorrow afternoon/evening to raise a toast to Pete.

Anyone's welcome. We're usually at one of the tall tables near the lobsters. ;)

LOL!

We're meeting at Perfect Landing tomorrow afternoon/evening to raise a toast to Pete.

Anyone's welcome. We're usually at one of the tall tables near the lobsters. ;)

I am in Dallas until late tomorrow; I told the motorcycle manufacturer that I probably wouldn't make it (unless you guys are there late). Maybe next time. Raise one for Pete on my behalf.

Will do.

Had a very nice off-list e-mail from one of the owners at Everitt. They're confident the airfield is continuing to thrive, and lots of folks are prepared to continue the runway and other projects.

It's just pilots. We get things done. It was great to hear from folks dedicated to the airpark. Nice people, all. They're in it for the long-haul and that's just as it should be.

They mentioned that there may be upcoming local memorial services for Pete sometime soon. Whether or not it can be fly-in or drive-in is up to the Association.

I can understand why a fly-in could be risky for the airpark in a number of ways, so will be happy to fly or drive myself out there. Doesn't matter.

In the correct spirit of things, I also offered personally to show up for any runway work or projects as my schedule allows, and with notice, I'm sure folks from outside the Everitt community but part of the greater Colorado pilot community would help too.

Will pass along any official requests from the folks there. It's their airpark and I want to fully respect their wishes at all times.

Sure is a nice day out. Cruddy weather forecast for this weekend. Wish I weren't warming a chair on my last day at the old employer, but what'cha going to do?

New job starts Monday. 3.1 miles from home and about 4 miles from the hangar!

Life is good. Get out and do some flying whenever you can. Sometimes your opportunities to do so might be shorter than you think. Don't waste a single minute.

I have no good words to wrap this up other than, Yay Everitt! Keep 'em flying.

Hmmm.... works for me.

That looks like a cool airplane. I figured out that I met Pete on two widely different occasions and that we have a mutual friend, one of the people I fly with. He seemed like a great guy.

They're holding a memorial for Pete at 1CO8 right now. I couldn't make it today due to a commitment to a friend and his kids later today.

I believe the video was shot for Carbon Cub as a promotional thing since Pete was involved, but someone was allowed to turn the video into a memorial video instead, and I'd guess by the timing of the release that they were working on it to show it in the hangar today out at Everitt.

I heard there was much discussion of Pete at the local EAA Chapter where he was well known, at the last meeting. I still haven't joined up or had the time to make it out there. My old commute wouldn't allow me to get there in time, but now it might be time to join the chapter and meet some more aviation-minded folks.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone. Memorials for pilots and for those who fought and didn't come home, both, this weekend...

They're holding a memorial for Pete at 1CO8 right now. I couldn't make it today due to a commitment to a friend and his kids later today.

I believe the video was shot for Carbon Cub as a promotional thing since Pete was involved, but someone was allowed to turn the video into a memorial video instead, and I'd guess by the timing of the release that they were working on it to show it in the hangar today out at Everitt.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone. Memorials for pilots and for those who fought and didn't come home, both, this weekend...

Pete's memorial today was epic in more ways than one. Lots of photos, Jessica's video (and Jessica to introduce it!) and stories about Pete. Ended with everyone taking a small bag of wildflower seeds and scattering them along the side of the runway.

Back