Another fan of Foreflight

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
This thing is the greatest!!!

In the past couple of weeks I have logged over 9 hours of IFR flying and the iPad/Foreflight combo has made life in the cockpit really great!

It is so easy to manage, navigate, recalculate, take notes, etc. Awesome!!

How did I live without this?

I took a drive over to Garmin in Olathe this afternoon as they were just a couple of miles from where I landed. I hope to goodness they are looking at Foreflight and put that into a panel mount device. I would buy it in an instant!

It's amazing, isn't it. I've flown with several guys who have the iPad/Foreflight combo. I'm not much of an Apple guy, but it has given me serious pause a few times; especially with the external GPS.

Don't forget the usefulness of the BYOP feature to add a PDF file of your checklists.

Never again will you be at a loss when the paper one evaporates from where it was stowed between the glareshield and windscreen just to re-appear just beyond reach under you seat.

Don't forget the usefulness of the BYOP feature to add a PDF file of your checklists.

Never again will you be at a loss when the paper one evaporates from where it was stowed between the glareshield and windscreen just to re-appear just beyond reach under you seat.
Oh how do I do that?

Create your checklist on your word processor of choice. Save as a PDF file.

Instructions for naming the file and loading into FF can be found here.

Can't mount it in the panel. And I do not like looking down and then back up when flying IMC. This eliminates all tablets for me. I'll put what I've got in the panel thanks.

Can't mount it in the panel. And I do not like looking down and then back up when flying IMC. This eliminates all tablets for me. I'll put what I've got in the panel thanks.

Where do you hold your charts?

Where do you hold your charts?

I can't stand looking down either . .yoke clip vs kneeboard is like high wing vs low wing. ....
I am a yoke clip and read checklist looking up Guy..yet I want an I pad like no tomorrow

Last edited:
Including your sectionals and low enroutes? Panel mounting something like an iPad or a galaxy would be nice...

Yup. I have a few pictures in the mobile uploads on facebook. I'm actually replacing the display though. Will be mo betta.

Last edited:

Now THAT'S a great idea! I hadn't thought of doing the checklists on the BYOP. Definitely going to do that. Thanks!

I'm definitely a HUGE fan of ForeFlight and three of my students have taken the plunge after seeing mine. It's one of the best values in aviation. I'm also not a huge fan, but after seeing ForeFlight in operation I ran out and bought my iPad.

I took a drive over to Garmin in Olathe this afternoon as they were just a couple of miles from where I landed. I hope to goodness they are looking at Foreflight and put that into a panel mount device. I would buy it in an instant!

STFU. Garmin will buy ForeFlight and start charging $750 for it! :mad2:

Create your checklist on your word processor of choice. Save as a PDF file.

Instructions for naming the file and loading into FF can be found here.

I didn't bother with that - just imported the PDF files into GoodReader. Will try the FF method and see if I like the integration better.

STFU. Garmin will buy ForeFlight and start charging $750 for it! :mad2:

No, they already bought MyPilotCast. Hmmm, Kent/Mike, maybe you can get some royalties from them for the use of your name? ;)

Foreflight at FL400 on internal gps. Works great (but still a tough sell to the Jepp Kool aide drinkers)
a6890f0a-54db-f56b.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.639958,-84.445758

I flew to a grass strip fly in restaurant Saturday morning and ended up visiting with some fellow tailwheel guys. They laughed when they saw my Iphone in a yoke mount and jokingly said "So you brought your GPS?" I said yes and they didn't believe me. They were amazed when I showed them foreflight. I wish I had room for an IPad in my tiny cockpit.

Doc

I'm for it! Ha! Anyway, this weekend I'll have x-wing on my iPhone and fore flight on my iPad and give the two a test.. Although, I already know which one I'll like better.

I'm for it! Ha! Anyway, this weekend I'll have x-wing on my iPhone and fore flight on my iPad and give the two a test.. Although, I already know which one I'll like better.

Why waste your time then, and by that I mean... use the time you'd spend looking at the one you don't like, looking out the window for traffic. :)

We found one more difference between the normal and the pro version of ForeFlight last night. (The pro version is the one with the geo-referenced approach plates.) That version allows you to "Keep tabs on groundspeed, track, and geometric altitude from the same view using the readouts below the chart." It basically gives you the same 4-element info bar across the bottom of an approach plate as you have at the bottom of the maps page, and you do have the ability to customize the displayed elements in the same way.

Still wondering how they georeference when plates are not to scale.

Presumably this is value added by a third party: "Geo-referencing is made possible through our license to Seattle Avionic's ChartData technology."

I was just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to pro...

No one has answered this question everytime I see you ask too...its a great question.
Something doesn't have to be to scale to plot yourself on where you're at..How they accomplish that..I have no idea. But they're not the only folks offering georef approach plates.

Something doesn't have to be to scale to plot yourself on where you're at..How they accomplish that..I have no idea. But they're not the only folks offering georef approach plates.

Right, but I don't even think there's reference ticks...

Does the geo ref plates show you on the plan view only? Or is there a dot on the profile view too?

True, but most of the one's I've seen (ForeFlight, WingX, AV8OR, Aspen) use Seattle Avionic's plates. The Aspen ones, BTW, are supposedly FAA Certified.

Does the geo ref plates show you on the plan view only? Or is there a dot on the profile view too?
No, it is plan view only, at least on ForeFlight.

No one has answered this question everytime I see you ask too...its a great question.

Only if you really care about the computing algorithm. I don't have the first clue how my iPad is converting my finger taps into letters on my screen, much less how it transmits those letters throughout the ether to this board. But I know it does (regularly and with a high degree of predictability). Don't really care how it does it.

This thing is the greatest!!!

In the past couple of weeks I have logged over 9 hours of IFR flying and the iPad/Foreflight combo has made life in the cockpit really great!

It is so easy to manage, navigate, recalculate, take notes, etc. Awesome!!

How did I live without this?

Tell me why it's great. What does it really do?
Apparently I downloaded the free trial last year into my ipad, and then forgot to actually try it. Duh, I know.

Back