Another F-35 lost, 1/24

They should also be charged with criminal stupidity. How in the actual hell would anyone be so stupid as to think they could post cell phone video FROM A NAVY SHIP AT SEA and nobody would figure out who did it?

Sigh. I guess someone has to barely squeak past the lower limit on the ASVAB.

Never a Division Officer in the Navy, were you? This one just scratches the surface of “can you believe . . .”

Hopefully, they will be given the chance to learn from this, recover, and advance with the full support of their leadership. Some do, some don’t. Success stories that followed said narrative are some of my fondest memories.

So are we more butthurt at the ones who took and uploaded video than we are at the pilot who crashed a multimillion dollar plane, injuring several people, and costing money to be spent in recovery ops?

So are we more butthurt at the ones who took and uploaded video than we are at the pilot who crashed a multimillion dollar plane, injuring several people, and costing money to be spent in recovery ops?

I don't believe they have ruled out a mechanical issue at this point. All we seem to know so far is the aircraft had a ramp strike.

Yes. Let he among us who is without sin...

Planting one of those on the deck of a carrier has to be one of the more challenging things a person can do. There are humans at the controls, and they don't always do things perfectly. Like any military operation including whether it's training or war, you've got to accept that there will be a certain amount of spoilage.

are you blaming the pilot?

Landing an airplane on a moving ship is an order of magnitude above my skill set. I'm not going to give anyone a hard time over it...on the contrary, those folks risk their lives keeping the bad guys an ocean away from me. The probably 18 year olds that posted the video? I did stupid things when I was that age, too. They grew up in a generation where everybody tells everyone everything, no matter how unimportant. Not saying it was right, but I get the screw up.

Media descriptions of how the F-35 computes and executes carrier landings (particularly information provided by Aviation Week & Space Technology) gives the impression that it is a fully automated action once the pilot enters the approach window at the proper altitude, location, and speed.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if the incident pilot was using the system, or was on a manual hand flown approach. That being said, he wasn't even close to the correct approach parameters. The pilot really screwed the pooch, and I'm not willing to give absolution because carrier landings are hard to execute.

When you are handed the keys to a $100 million aircraft, it is assumed that one's flying skills are superb. Flying a crap ass approach profile, then refusing to abandon it and striking the round down on the way to totaling the aircraft and injuring crewmen doesn't speak well of the pilot's proficiency and judgement.

The probably 18 year olds that posted the video? I did stupid things when I was that age, too. They grew up in a generation where everybody tells everyone everything, no matter how unimportant. Not saying it was right, but I get the screw up.
The Navy said it wasn't young kids that posted a video. They charged an Ensign, a Senior Chief, and 2 Chiefs with releasing the video. Maybe you can give the Ensign a break because like 2nd Lts they do dumb thing but not Chief Petty Officers.

Media descriptions of how the F-35 computes and executes carrier landings (particularly information provided by Aviation Week & Space Technology) gives the impression that it is a fully automated action once the pilot enters the approach window at the proper altitude, location, and speed.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if the incident pilot was using the system, or was on a manual hand flown approach. That being said, he wasn't even close to the correct approach parameters. The pilot really screwed the pooch, and I'm not willing to give absolution because carrier landings are hard to execute.

When you are handed the keys to a $100 million aircraft, it is assumed that one's flying skills are superb. Flying a crap ass approach profile, then refusing to abandon it and striking the round down on the way to totaling the aircraft and injuring crewmen doesn't speak well of the pilot's proficiency and judgement.
Is it possible he had a problem he didn't have enough time to deal with?

One of these actions was intentional and the other was almost certainly not.

Back