Another Drone Spotted on Final

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
http://www.wkrn.com/story/26512963/pilot-spots-drone-flying-near-nashville-airport-runway

American Eagle spots a 4-rotor copter hovering near final.

Wonder how many are up there but never spotted. :hairraise:

Any twit can buy one of these 4-rotor things at the mall now and be flying it within 15 minutes of purchase. They have no idea about what else might be going on above the treetops. These are getting closer and more frequent.

Yes, that's a generalization and generally, generalizations hold true. QED. :D

I've got to get a GoPro camera and start recording my flights or at least the takeoff & landings. Might be nice to review to see what I am missing when I am busy focused on getting safely to the ground.

Jim

I love how every "radio controlled aircraft" is now a "drone" :rofl:

Now if someone could find a passenger good enough to control a drone during flight, and a drone fast enough to record the main plane, that would be cool.

Now if someone could find a passenger good enough to control a drone during flight, and a drone fast enough to record the main plane, that would be cool.
Sort of already exists. There is a drone either on the market or on the way that follows the transmitter. Idea is self filming mountain biking and such. Don't think it will go airplane speeds but I'm sure it can go paraglider speeds. Might not be a good idea though...:D

Sort of already exists. There is a drone either on the market or on the way that follows the transmitter. Idea is self filming mountain biking and such. Don't think it will go airplane speeds but I'm sure it can go paraglider speeds. Might not be a good idea though...:D
That sounded great at first. set an RC plane up to do that. Take off, do slow flight past the RC field, have someone fly the RC plane up in manual then put it into track mode. No matter which way you fly the plane would turn toward you. That is great until you land... then it flys up and smacks in to you while you are parking...

Mine can do all of that. You give it a distance and altitude offset. It will follow the GPS position of a smart phone or tablet that has telemetry link to the aircraft. It isn't following the controller. The controller has no idea where it is, it just sends the stick and button inputs for manual control. The telemetry link that communicates flight data is separate. That can be linked up to a laptop or smart device.

I have always wanted to use mine to do takeoff and landing video of my or any aircraft. It would SO cool. However it is only practical at an uncontrolled airport, and where there will not be any other traffic.

Mine can go 45mph without sacrificing altitude for speed. You're not going to find many multi-rotors that can do more than that. A fixed wing remote controlled aircraft can, but they are not very practical for photography purposes like that. Can be done, just complicated.

I have never actually used the "follow me" feature. I am not really comfortable having no control over a 5lb flying lawnmower that is trying to follow me. I feel like a GPS glitch might saw me in half.

I love how every "radio controlled aircraft" is now a "drone" :rofl:

They are drones because of the number of things they can do autonomously, they are quite a bit more than R/C aircraft and kinda spooky if you ask me. I predict an increasing public disdain for these things as they proliferate. I smell legislation in the winds.

yeah legislation. only the gov't gets drones...

They are drones because of the number of things they can do autonomously, they are quite a bit more than R/C aircraft and kinda spooky if you ask me. I predict an increasing public disdain for these things as they proliferate. I smell legislation in the winds.

Maybe Estes can come up with a model rocker version of a SAM launcher and the model rocketeers can shoot them down...;)

I've got to get a GoPro camera and start recording my flights or at least the takeoff & landings. Might be nice to review to see what I am missing when I am busy focused on getting safely to the ground.

Jim

And you can put the GoPro on one of the RC units, too! Get the view from the other perspective...:goofy:

Back