Another CPL complex airplane question

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
I have been thinking about working toward my CPL this summer, and was happy to see the new requirements don't need a complex for the checkride. In looking through 61.129 in the requirements it shows 10 hours complex training required. I have about 20 hours logged as PIC as sole manipulator when flying with other pilots in their planes, but have never had specific training in complex. I do have the HP endorsement, but no complex endorsement or logged dual in complex. Will I need to still find a complex to get 10 hours dual? Thanks!

Patrick

Thinking about getting my complex endorsement this summer (just for experience, rental opportunities, etc) I went and looked at the regs to see what was required later for the CPL and came across the same question. Essentially, you can get your complex endorsement as soon as the CFI thinks you deserve it, but in order to get your CPL you have to have 10 hours dual.

Hypothetically, if you got your complex endorsement with 1.5 dual then the other 8.5 hours would just be so you can log it and get your CPL...

On the positive side, this makes me not care about how many hours it takes for me to get the complex endorsement because those hours will at least go toward the CPL complex requirement (assuming I don't take more than 10 hours to show I can work a few new levers/buttons ;)).

To answer the question. Yes, 10 hours of complex training time is required.

The ten hours only has to be in an airplane so you can count multi-engine training. If that's something you plan to do, or are interested in, you can get much, if not all, of the ten hours complex that way.

No longer needed for the practical test, but you still have the have the training (that is DUAL).

Thanks all, that's kind of what I thought given how it's worded. In any case, my goals aren't necessarily flying for hire, just pre-requisites for the CFI that I eventually plan for. Still need to do instrument, so the CPL wouldn't even be particularly useful for quite a while. Not much call for a 250 hr. non-instrument, non-multi commercial pilot! Still might do it before instrument due to airplane access though.

Thanks all, that's kind of what I thought given how it's worded. In any case, my goals aren't necessarily flying for hire, just pre-requisites for the CFI that I eventually plan for. Still need to do instrument, so the CPL wouldn't even be particularly useful for quite a while. Not much call for a 250 hr. non-instrument, non-multi commercial pilot! Still might do it before instrument due to airplane access though.
At least 10 hours of instrument training are required for the Commercial.

On the other hand, when the complex training is accomplished is unimportant for the Commercial checkride. It can be yesterday or ten years ago.

The ten hours only has to be in an airplane so you can count multi-engine training. If that's something you plan to do, or are interested in, you can get much, if not all, of the ten hours complex that way.
This is what a lot of people have been doing for years...renting a Seminole isn't that much more expensive than renting an Arrow.

Back