Another Commercial CC Question.

J. Taylor Stanley

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Taylor Stanley
So....

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, a turbine-powered airplane, or a technically advanced airplane (TAA) that meets the requirements of paragraph (j) of this section, or any combination thereof. The airplane must be appropriate to land or sea for the rating sought;

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) Three hours in a single-engine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph (a)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed under §61.127(b)(1) that include—

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

My question is, can I do 3(iii), 3(iv), 4(i) and 4(ii) with an instructor in a complex and have it count towards 3(ii) as well? It specifically list that you can count it towards a(2), but doesn't mention any of the others sub-sections. It would be nice if I could do 3(iii), 3(iv), 4(i) and 4(ii) in an arrow and count it towards those 10 hours in 3(ii).

The items in (3) are "flight training" requirements. The items in (4) are "solo" requirements. They are separate from each other and having the presence of an instructor does not change that.

So, yes, you can do all of the (3) tasks in a complex airplane and they will count toward the complex training requirement. But the (4) tasks, because they are not considered "training", will not.

Yea, we have a 172 in the club with g5s and a waas garmin, but no autopilot, so not TAA. I did my 2 hours 100 nm one way CC today in an arrow today. Knocking it out one flight at a time. My wife and I are going to do the 300 nm one next weekend to go see her mom overnight.

The 300nm one is a solo flight. Unless of course she is a cfi.

Yea, I just realized that. Dang FAA always ruining my fun...Plus I just plugged it in and it is 15 miles short of the 250 distance...I still need to get TT, so we will still go...and she said she refuses to ride on the wing so I could log it solo...

Back