Another broker thread

Ever see a car dealership actually excited to sell a car in a hurry and get you on your way?

Every time I've ever been in one, I want to yell at the idiot who keeps having to go "ask someone" for permission to sell at the price he just wrote down, "Do you sell many cars here, or what, a@@hole!? Is this something brand new that you don't do every day? Send over someone who actually sells cars, thanks."

Nothing about a car dealership is EVER about customer service. The places are designed to be as absolutely annoying as possible.

I'd rather stick a spork in my thigh than have to walk into a car dealership for something. Anything.
You're just going to the wrong places!! We do our best to make it a fun friendly atmosphere, whether it's buying or servicing! Usually, it's hard to hurry the process, but an hour to an hour and a half should be plenty of time if there aren't any issues. :) Now if you are annoyed when you arrive, it's harder to make you less annoyed with the process. ;)

Even worse are the ones that don't even read the inquiry I sent but reply with 'give me a call so we can talk'. No dip####, I contacted you through your own companies customer relations system, I don't want to 'talk', I want an email response. And as I inquired about a very particular car that is listed as available on your lot, I am not interested in any other cars you may have.
B

Then there are the ones that you email and call back and say they will get you a quote then nothing, and two weeks later the salesgull calls and says I need to sell three cars by month end, I say ok give me your best deal, then darkeness again I call the GM and he is an idiot too,hey I am trying to buy a luxury car and I get blown off, JB747 this is the "luxury version" of Ford, not all are like that but this one was.

B

Then there are the ones that you email and call back and say they will get you a quote then nothing, and two weeks later the salesgull calls and says I need to sell three cars by month end, I say ok give me your best deal, then darkeness again I call the GM and he is an idiot too,hey I am trying to buy a luxury car and I get blown off, JB747 this is the "luxury version" of Ford, not all are like that but this one was.
As my dad was fond of saying "We hire the handicapped" :rolleyes: We are our own worst enemies sometimes. What part of the country, maybe I know somebody. :)

You're just going to the wrong places!! We do our best to make it a fun friendly atmosphere, whether it's buying or servicing! Usually, it's hard to hurry the process, but an hour to an hour and a half should be plenty of time if there aren't any issues. :) Now if you are annoyed when you arrive, it's harder to make you less annoyed with the process. ;)

I've actually bought my last two cars from dealers (used car dealers, at that) and had very positive experiences both times. The dealers were easy to negotiate with, I got what I felt was a fair price, and took delivery when I wanted it.

The worst dealer I dealt with was a Lincoln dealer in Virginia. Extremely high pressure, offered $2,500 trade-in for mom's 30k mile Volvo, stereotypical negatives to deal with. Oh, and then argued with me on the pedigree of the Lincoln LS/Jaguar S-type architecture. Regardless of whether or not I was right, don't argue with the customer. We then went down the block to the Infiniti dealer, who was very easy to deal with. You can guess which car we bought that day. :)

The Lincoln dealer? :D
There are still a few of them around, one stand alone Lincoln dealer in Atlanta and a couple with Ford and Lincoln. Too many rules for me and my demographics barely support a Ford store, I don't think my buyers buy too many Lincolns at least not new ones!

I figured out how to lower that to 30 minutes. Buy from the fleet guy, order via fax with all options listed to the three dealerships that had that specific vehicle in stock. First place to call with a final price, wins. Had a call back in 30 minutes with the price, from one of them. The other two, one called and lost, the other never called.

Pick up took long enough to sign the papers and leave. Answers to all of the add ons in the finance office, were no, no, no, no, no. Except when they said they could beat my interest rate at my credit union at another credit union, and for some reason the extended warranty screamed "I'm too cheap not to buy" on that particular car. And that turned out to be a good thing because it was a POS and cost the third party insurance company $13,500 in repairs over many years for a total investment on my part of $350.

I don't do my "shopping" at the dealership. I know what I want long before I get there. It's not like any dealer is selling anything different than the others. I don't need "atmosphere", I need someone to sign the paperwork, calculate the taxes properly, and send me on my way. (I sell old vehicles privately so there's no need to mess with haggling over trade in value.)

Karen's truck was fairly rare so I had to sit through the couple of hours of horse crap of back and forth and still left paying exactly what I said I was willing to pay when we walked in. The only good part was an old propane tank blew up across the street and set a work yard on fire and we all got to watch the firefighters put it all out while I waited for all the paperwork to be drawn up.

"Let's talk payment..."
"No, let's talk out the door price. I have a calculator and know what the payment will be."

"Okay, how is your credit?"
"I believe you'll find it to be over 800. You can run hers or mine, it won't matter. I already have financing/I'm paying cash."

Slides the paperwork toward me...
"You can take this off..." Me pointing at some BS charge for something silly like "underbody prep" or whatever.
"But we already did that to the car..."
"And I didn't want it nor ask for it. Feel free to adjust the price back to what we just agreed on."

Etc.

When I was a car salesperson years ago, I loved customers like you. A binary deal - either you can do it, or you can't (I was the manager so I decided if I could do it or not...). I hated the made up nonsense with financing deals etc. They were pretty lucrative at times with nice kickbacks from finance companies, selling own interest rates and so on... But there was nothing better than a customer walking in knowing what they want, how much they are happy to pay, take it or leave it.

I figured out how to lower that to 30 minutes. Buy from the fleet guy, order via fax with all options listed to the three dealerships that had that specific vehicle in stock. First place to call with a final price, wins. Had a call back in 30 minutes with the price, from one of them. The other two, one called and lost, the other never called.

Pick up took long enough to sign the papers and leave. Answers to all of the add ons in the finance office, were no, no, no, no, no. Except when they said they could beat my interest rate at my credit union at another credit union, and for some reason the extended warranty screamed "I'm too cheap not to buy" on that particular car. And that turned out to be a good thing because it was a POS and cost the third party insurance company $13,500 in repairs over many years for a total investment on my part of $350.

I don't do my "shopping" at the dealership. I know what I want long before I get there. It's not like any dealer is selling anything different than the others. I don't need "atmosphere", I need someone to sign the paperwork, calculate the taxes properly, and send me on my way. (I sell old vehicles privately so there's no need to mess with haggling over trade in value.)

Karen's truck was fairly rare so I had to sit through the couple of hours of horse crap of back and forth and still left paying exactly what I said I was willing to pay when we walked in. The only good part was an old propane tank blew up across the street and set a work yard on fire and we all got to watch the firefighters put it all out while I waited for all the paperwork to be drawn up.

"Let's talk payment..."
"No, let's talk out the door price. I have a calculator and know what the payment will be."

"I believe you'll find it to be over 800. You can run hers or mine, it won't matter. I already have financing/I'm paying cash."

"You can take this off..." Me pointing at some BS charge for something silly like "underbody prep" or whatever.
"And I didn't want it nor ask for it. Feel free to adjust the price back to what we just agreed on."

Etc.

The experiences in this thread is one of the main reasons that I started my own business of brokering. People pay a bunch of money to use a brokerage and then to have terrible customer service like this is just wrong. Answering calls and emails isn't that hard especially in today's world with a phone right in your pocket.

Charlie- my sentiments exactly. Mind if I ask what you're doing for advertising? I'm about 60 days from going live and am really debating the merits of nationwide advertising vs local/grassroots type marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie- my sentiments exactly. Mind if I ask what you're doing for advertising? I'm about 60 days from going live and am really debating the merits of nationwide advertising vs local/grassroots type marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with nation wide coverage along with my own website coming shortly. I found that people will travel all over for the right aircraft. Plus the more people that see what you have for sale the better.

"Let's talk payment..."

Etc.

When I sold cars I would have kicked you to someone else, not worth my effort to make a mini, when I could have taken the next up and made way more.

Lots of folks would start off with "what can you do on this car" I'd say "add tax and license" if their hair started to stand up I'd say that I'll go get a salesman who can better work with you

Last edited:
When I sold cars I would have kicked you to someone else, not worth my effort to make a mini, when I could have taken the next up and made way more.

Lots of folks would start off with "what can you do on this car" I'd say "add tax and license" if their hair started to stand up I'd say that I'll go get a salesman who can better work with you

Well, that's the game, isn't it? Always a sucker out there willing to pay too much for things, and you knew it.

I would point out that my number always includes something reasonable for the dealership. I don't low-ball below anybody's cost, I'd come up with a number I knew covered their pricing and a little more.

This is on new, of course. On used, everything's negotiable. Frigging stuff I've seen dealerships try to sell as roadworthy, is usually more cringeworthy. My favorite was pointing out a snapped leaf spring once when looking at half ton trucks. Christ almighty, how do you miss that, unless you simply aren't looking?

And of course the place advertised a "bejillion-point safety inspection" on a big assed sticker on every vehicle. Yeah, right. I had the sales guy stick his head in the wheel well while I pointed at it, and then got in my car and left. I'm sure they sold that POS to someone, it stayed on the lot and never moved (place was on my commute route at the time) until it sold. Doubt they fixed it or auctioned it off.

So I call the guy today that I emailed back in March, he was a complete turd on the phone.
Him: This is Mike
Me: I am calling about an airplane for sale.
Mike: what?
Me: Have I got the wrong number? I am calling about a conquest II.
Mike:Which one.
Me: serial number 170
Mike: where did you see it?
Me: Controller
Mike: It should have everything you need to know.
Me: What is the asking price?
Mike: $995K
Me: OK thanks.
No engagement, no what are you looking for? What are you flying? He didn't mention he had another one listed, nothing. And before the latest price reduction he was asking $895K !!

So I call the guy today that I emailed back in March, he was a complete turd on the phone.
Him: This is Mike
Me: I am calling about an airplane for sale.
Mike: what?
Me: Have I got the wrong number? I am calling about a conquest II.
Mike:Which one.
Me: serial number 170
Mike: where did you see it?
Me: Controller
Mike: It should have everything you need to know.
Me: What is the asking price?
Mike: $995K
Me: OK thanks.
No engagement, no what are you looking for? What are you flying? He didn't mention he had another one listed, nothing. And before the latest price reduction he was asking $895K !!

So your saying you offered him a job as VP of Sales & MArketing on the spot based on his awesome customer service skillz?

So your saying you offered him a job as VP of Sales & MArketing on the spot based on his awesome customer service skillz?
I thought about telling he was an idiot, but I figured he already knew! It's a wonder these people ever sell anything! I called another guy on Monday, left a message with the receptionist, called again on Tuesday left a voicemail, still no call! I sent an email to Howard Van Bortel at 4 AM asking his opinion on an airplane, he called me at 9 AM and had one of his guys that is more familiar with that particular airplane call me and tell me what to look for if I bought it! I have known Howard for years and bought and sold with him and recommended several people to them, but that's the way you make customers, not ignoring them! :rolleyes:

Back