Another Bird Strike

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
Skyhawk 2 Birds 0

This was my second bird strike. I never saw the bird and didn’t even know it happened until I saw the bloody mess post flight. Apparently, I hit it with the prop. Note the feather on the air filter.

79DBD9B9-8ED5-4731-9439-F9733D8AA93E.jpeg 27E5F4BE-4C4C-475E-B5B8-A4D1221BAFAB.jpeg 8AF1568A-BD46-47AD-833F-68E53F85E2E3.jpeg

I've only had one bird strike, that that was the day of, but the flight before, my first solo. One of the birds that hangs around the airport zigged when he should have zagged and I caught him with the prop. Nowhere near the mess that you had, however. Amazing what you remember from almost 19 years ago.

Yuck! That's not what they mean by "feathering the prop"! So glad it didn't hit the windscreen.

Had a bald eagle fly about 50-100 feet directly below me in the champ yesterday. That would have been ugly.

It happens. Looks like a small bird by the feather. I don’t think you’d need to track the prop, especially if it was light enough that you didn’t feel it. I’d bet that it didn’t even phase it.

Probably should scrap your engine. Sorry for your bad luck.

@Stingray Don Bring the plane over to Columbus and I will put 50 hours on her for ya just to make sure everything is good. You pay all expenses of course. :)
giphy.gif

Back