Another Angel Flight in the books...

Way to go..

I am eagerly trying to build hours so i can join the angel flight here in North Carolina. currently sitting at 215hrs, needing 250hrs.

Way to go..

I am eagerly trying to build hours so i can join the angel flight here in North Carolina. currently sitting at 215hrs, needing 250hrs.

It helps to find a seasoned AF pilot and see if they'll allow you to fly along if weight allows. That's what I did, and you get to see the full range of things that go on as well as meet a lot of the other AF pilots flying the other legs. Keep in mind that many of these flights involve multiple legs, with each AF pilot/team coordinating where they will be meeting up to hand-off the precious cargo...

I'm usually smiling the rest of the day after an Angel Flight, even if my wallet is quite a bit lighter after having paid for fuel, etc.

Thanks for that idea. is there a way to contact AF pilots through the website or i need to scour the local airports?

Will they take my application now and just put me on a provisional basis until i accumulate the hours?

thanks

Thanks for that idea. is there a way to contact AF pilots through the website or i need to scour the local airports?

Will they take my application now and just put me on a provisional basis until i accumulate the hours?

thanks

I went on the website of the AF group serving my area, told them I was a PP looking to become involved and they put me in touch with multiple pilots who were flying missions. I'll bet I received five calls from different pilots, all eager to explain their involvement. No harm in giving that a shot...

Don't forget to offer to Safety Pilot for those working on IFR activities. Since you can log the time while they are under the hood, it's a quick and reduced cost way to add time to your book.

I went on the website of the AF group serving my area, told them I was a PP looking to become involved and they put me in touch with multiple pilots who were flying missions. I'll bet I received five calls from different pilots, all eager to explain their involvement. No harm in giving that a shot...
Exactly what I did and I tell other prospective pilots to do.

thanks
You can join AF at any time and choose ground and/or assistant as a position. This way you'll be on the email list when someone puts out a request for help. The you can add pilot when you get you 250 hours.

You can join AF at any time and choose ground and/or assistant as a position. This way you'll be on the email list when someone puts out a request for help. The you can add pilot when you get you 250 hours.
i emailed the angle flight in my area taking the advice from @Hobobiker, now i will offer safety pilot services to pilots and the flight school i rent from.

sorry @Hobobiker to have hijacked this wonderful thread..

i emailed the angle flight in my area taking the advice from @Hobobiker, now i will offer safety pilot services to pilots and the flight school i rent from.
The Angel Flight office staff should be willing to put you in touch with the local Wing Leader. This is often a local pilot who helps new pilots get squared away. By remaining in contact with him, you'll be notified of lots of opportunities to participate with Angel Flight activities.

For those in the Texas area, the Wing Leader for Angel Flight South Central is our own Troy Whistman (TangoWhiskey). I also fly for them occasionally and am willing to not only help answer questions, but invite you along for a flight next time I do one.

Back