Annual woes.

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Anyone want to buy a 195? Just kidding, but I just got back from checking up on my annual. When I got there, three cylinders were pulled. Low compression from the exhaust valves. Probably not that big a deal. But the exhaust system needs to be re worked. And one of the clamshell doors in my carb heat box was broken clear in half. And they hadn't even started on the airframe.

Ahh the joys of ownership.

It's always something, isn't it? Yesterday I discovered large sections of insulation pulling away from their respective mounting places. Guess American Champion skimped on the glue when they built it.

Thats why i try not to look for bad stuff..what you dont know wont hurt you :)

I just scedualed my annual for the 2nd week in Dec. crossing fingers,

Greg Bockelman said:
Anyone want to buy a 195? Just kidding, but I just got back from checking up on my annual. When I got there, three cylinders were pulled. Low compression from the exhaust valves. Probably not that big a deal. But the exhaust system needs to be re worked. And one of the clamshell doors in my carb heat box was broken clear in half. And they hadn't even started on the airframe.

Aren't old Radials fun??

I put mine into annual Thursday. It would normally go at the end of this month, but I want to take it to Tampa Nov 4.

A pushrod is squeaking. I told the mech, "you know where three perfectly good cylinders are located, and now that I've threatened your boss with a lawyer, and I've got yellow tags, you can install them. Three first run cyls reworked by G&N, four weeks in getting my tags from the remote boss.

This guy in VYS is running a failing FBO in Peoria. I really like the mech- he's been looking after me for more than half a dozen years under the previous owner
but this is getting out of control.

He's also the boss of the 600 hour pilot who posted about being demanded to fly in really worse-than marginal weather.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
bbchien said:
I put mine into annual Thursday. It would normally go at the end of this month, but I want to take it to Tampa Nov 4.

A pushrod is squeaking. I told the mech, "you know where three perfectly good cylinders are located, and now that I've threatened your boss with a lawyer, and I've got yellow tags, you can install them. Three first run cyls reworked by G&N, four weeks in getting my tags from the remote boss.

This guy in VYS is running a failing FBO in Peoria. I really like the mech- he's been looking after me for more than half a dozen years under the previous owner
but this is getting out of control.

He's also the boss of the 600 hour pilot who posted about being demanded to fly in really worse-than marginal weather.

Unbelievable.

I thought that stuff only happened in Alaska!:cheerswine:

Bruce,

Sounds like you should open a maintenance facility...in your spare time. :<)

Len

Mine's in annual now too. Definitely need to fly to Tampa for the Expo next month. Besides the obvious mag checks, I've found a weak alternator that I'll replace plus a new battery (the old one load tests fine but the logs do not show when it was put in and there is nothing on the battery to show it either...sigh) plus rebuild all 4 brake master cylinders and install 2 service bulletin kits. Hopefully the rest is just inspection, lubrication, normal filter changes and such. I already know the cylinders check out at 75-76-76-77 :D .

Don't feel too bad Greg. We're still getting things settled down on the P-Baron. Still fixing things we found on the pre-buy that didn't need immediate attention. Lots of systems; so, lots of stuff to keep up with. Don't think we've gone 25 hours without having something, fixed, adjusted or replaced. Working on MP controllers; boot pressure pump; couple CHTs, right main tire and mounting the Garmin 396. This is all out of annual!!

It's a true joy to fly, but a lot to take care of.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Don't feel too bad Greg. We're still getting things settled down on the P-Baron. Still fixing things we found on the pre-buy that didn't need immediate attention. Lots of systems; so, lots of stuff to keep up with. Don't think we've gone 25 hours without having something, fixed, adjusted or replaced. Working on MP controllers; boot pressure pump; couple CHTs, right main tire and mounting the Garmin 396. This is all out of annual!!

It's a true joy to fly, but a lot to take care of.

Best,

Dave

Thank your lucky stars, my anphib operator, has a cracked case, less than 100 hours from ovhl. annual gripes, this is the mose expensive gripe I think I have found in a long time.

NC19143 said:
Thank your lucky stars, my anphib operator, has a cracked case, less than 100 hours from ovhl. annual gripes, this is the mose expensive gripe I think I have found in a long time.

Is it in a location where you actually have to do anything? What engine?

Tim said:
I thought that stuff only happened in Alaska!:cheerswine:
And now the receptionist quit....so the only employee is the guy working on my bird. Geesh I hope he finishes before the place really goes belly up...

What they need is a strong dose of Dr. Bruce Attitude and Humanitarianism. That would shape them up.

bbchien said:
And now the receptionist quit....so the only employee is the guy working on my bird. Geesh I hope he finishes before the place really goes belly up...
Gosh! Will the book be coming out any time soon?

bbchien said:

I'm really sorry to hear this Bruce. Maybe when I get up thata way, we can ride together if your plane isn't done!

Dave

[QUOTE=

The two happiest days of an airplane owners life are:
The day he buys it and the day he sells it!!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Is it in a location where you actually have to do anything? What engine?

215 horse B9F Franklin..

NC19143 said:
215 horse B9F Franklin..

No,no. The case crack. Is the crack in a location that the mfg says requires disassembly and repair or can it be measured, scribed and watched?

Let'sgoflying! said:
No,no. The case crack. Is the crack in a location that the mfg says requires disassembly and repair or can it be measured, scribed and watched?

The engine is a Franklin, last 3 digits are B9F, it is rated at 215 horsepower, mounted in a Republic Cee Bee.

The case is cracked at the #4 cylinder hold down upper stud..to centerline case half seam. there are not enough need to gain certification on a weld repair.. just gotta get a different case and install it.

There are cases around but all are used, and this amounts to a complete overhaul, but won't be to easy.

Let'sgoflying! said:
now that's cracked. Yowch.

Think about this, we have been chasing an oil leak for 50 hours, guess where it is coming from.

How do you get that beast off the back of a republic? Gantry crain? my engine lift won't reach it.

NC19143 said:
How do you get that beast off the back of a republic? Gantry crain? my engine lift won't reach it.

1000# rated cumalong to a stout cross beam in the hangar, drop it onto a cart with wheels.

Let'sgoflying! said:
1000# rated cumalong to a stout cross beam in the hangar, drop it onto a cart with wheels.

I took the easy way out.

Greg:

We seemed to get off your original topic. How are things going now? Did you run into more issues?

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Greg:

We seemed to get off your original topic. How are things going now? Did you run into more issues?

Dave

10 days into it and nothing really new. The exhaust had to go to Canada to get re worked. The outfit in Tennessee apparently went tango uniform. That will add a day or two to it. The cylinders were to go back on the engine today. And they hadn't gotten in to the airframe yet. Of course there is no real hurry until the exhaust comes back.

The 2nd annual on my m20e started last january. Now 10 months later it's almost complete, as a matter of fact, they test flew it today. Runs very well. EGT's are about 1210 and cht's are 310 to 330 at high cruise power settings and run rich for break in. My mech should have more data on the second flight tomorrow
Total cost?..... 30k:hairraise:

ouch!! Hope you're able to handle that O.K.

In the P-Baron, I'm looking into opening a floating line of credit for gas on some cross country trips :redface:

I hate this thread. It is keeping me up at night thinking about my annual which will be my first and is coming up in just a few months. I just am hoping I do not get any surprises, I know of a few things that I have been deferring (trim, carpet, and a crack in a side window) but I hope my engine is ok.

Ya'all are scaring me!!:hairraise:

Scott

smigaldi said:
I hate this thread. It is keeping me up at night thinking about my annual which will be my first and is coming up in just a few months. I just am hoping I do not get any surprises, I know of a few things that I have been deferring (trim, carpet, and a crack in a side window) but I hope my engine is ok.

Scott

LOL I sweat every annual.

Sorry Scott! I thought I was just havin fun. I've never had a really bad annual. Worse was after purchasing a plane, first annual, but no big surprises. On the pre-buy, I identified several things I knew were coming. What made it so bad was the mechanic. He made several mistakes and I would up having to have someone else fix a lot of things an three months of down time. Since I've moved to a better shop, no problemo. You will always have stuff, and if you keep up with your aircraft type, you should be able to anticipate most big stuff.

Best,

Dave

On the old Red Board, prior to this one, someone bought a Cessna Twin off E-bay, and replaced the interior, as well as alot of other stuff. If that owner is on the board, I'd be interested to know how the plane has worked out for him. Wat is Troy W.??? Seems like it was going to based in Texas.

Hmm....most things can be dealt with and you can always make more money:) I had some equity in the plane so I refinanced 20k of it which happends to be about the increase in it's value as a result so if anything I'm not upside down on the thing. If you've read any of my various replys to the typical "I'm buying an airplane posts" you know my feelings about buying mid time airplanes and why. I'd like to say my experience is atypical, but it really isnt with mid time airplanes. You wouldnt believe how many airplane owners I've run into that have the same story. Just overhauled, and I mean a real firewall forward refurb, lotsa new parts, overhauled accessories is no way to go; or runout and done yourself so you know what you have. If you cant afford to do that don't buy the airplane.
One thing I found recently were they Saavy Aviator articles by Mike Busch, especially the way to get parts. The various owner produced and suitable substitute provisions were very enlightening, especially considering that you can have parts made for half of what the factories charge.
http://www.savvyaviator.com/articles.html

smigaldi said:

Scott

Keith Lane said:
On the old Red Board, prior to this one, someone bought a Cessna Twin off E-bay, and replaced the interior, as well as alot of other stuff. If that owner is on the board, I'd be interested to know how the plane has worked out for him. Wat is Troy W.??? Seems like it was going to based in Texas.

That was Steve Woolstenhulme. It did come out nice.

Finished my annual last night, except for a test flight. Took longer and cost more than expected (duh), but I feel pretty good about things. Major items were rebuild 4 brake master cylinders, new battery, reman alternator, install one service bulletin kit, new nose gear bearings & races, new plugs, and shim nose gear steering. Lot of little things too, like a $280 EGT probe (gag). Last year's annual was clearly substandard, and I won't let that happen again. I'll say one thing: it sure helps to have a dedicated and meticulous mechanic. (Thanks Paul :cheerswine: )

wsuffa said:
That was Steve Woolstenhulme. It did come out nice.

Steve and I are about as far apart in how we approach things as they come.
I began to post more, but will just leave it there.

Dave

Dave, I see you are based at ADS, do you ever run into or hear of HWMNBN?

Just curious as to whether he was still flying.:confused:

Back