Annual Inspection Date Question

Aeric

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aeric
So, it's that time of year again. What determines the date of inspection? Obviously I want the inspection date to be within the first few days of November so that the annual will be good through November 2015. If the inspection occurs during the very last few days of October, can the A&P/IA wait till November 1st to sign off on the inspection, provided the airplane is not flown until then?

Date of the annual inspection is whatever the IA puts in the books.

So, it's that time of year again. What determines the date of inspection? Obviously I want the inspection date to be within the first few days of November so that the annual will be good through November 2015. If the inspection occurs during the very last few days of October, can the A&P/IA wait till November 1st to sign off on the inspection, provided the airplane is not flown until then?

Yes. That's legal.

It's the date that the IA signs off. Just be sure to get it to his shop before the end of the month it's due.

Just how long after the inspection is completed can the IA date the log entry in order to extend the due date of the next inspection? If the work is finished October 31, is it legal to date the annual inspection as being completed on November 1? How about October 15 to November 1? October 1 to November 1? September to November 1? :dunno:

I would talk to the A&P and make sure he is okay with you pushing it out another month schedule wise.

An inspection is completed when the appropriate sign offs are made in the maintenance records and signed by the person doing the inspection.

I was told by the Fed that gave me my first IA (back when we were using dinosaur bones for structural repair) that the annual was done when the last screw was put back on the airplane. I have faithfully followed that advice to the point where I keep the LAST inspection plate screw in my toolbox and then early morning on the 1st of the month I dutifully drive to the airport, put the screw in, and sign the logbooks.

Just my way of doing things, perhaps being overly cautious about what I was told.

Jim

It usually takes me a few weeks....till the full moon....to finish the AD research & paper work. By then we're into the next month....so, we print the label.:goofy:

It usually takes me a few weeks....till the full moon....to finish the AD research & paper work. By then we're into the next month....so, we print the label.:goofy:
I'd say that's every bit as valid a reasoning as putting the last inspection plate screw in. Never considered that; I usually do the AD research before I start the inspection. Nothing to say that I can't see what ADs have been issued WHILE that inspection was being done, and heaven knows how long that research could take.

Good idea, thanks.

Jim

I was told by the Fed that gave me my first IA (back when we were using dinosaur bones for structural repair) that the annual was done when the last screw was put back on the airplane. I have faithfully followed that advice to the point where I keep the LAST inspection plate screw in my toolbox and then early morning on the 1st of the month I dutifully drive to the airport, put the screw in, and sign the logbooks.

Just my way of doing things, perhaps being overly cautious about what I was told.

Jim

Sounds logical.

What about an owner-assisted annual? The owner is allowed to "return to service" all of the cowling, inspection plate covers, interior, etc. I'd have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the typical Cessna annual inspection items in the service manual doesn't include reinstallation of all of the inspection plates, etc.

What about an owner-assisted annual? The owner is allowed to "return to service" all of the cowling, inspection plate covers, interior, etc. I'd have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the typical Cessna annual inspection items in the service manual doesn't include reinstallation of all of the inspection plates, etc.

I don't understand the question or the application.

Jim

Back