Annoying sun at FL280

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Who says I don't fly high tech aircraft?
c6e4eb15-0227-c955.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.073056,-80.142624

Did you log that as actual or simulated IMC? ;)

Those look thicker and more effective than the enroute charts I've used.

That's what I usually use. On all but three of our planes the built in sun shades/visors are almost worthless. Enroute charts are surprisingly versatile to fill the gaps!

That's what I usually use. On all but three of our planes the built in sun shades/visors are almost worthless. Enroute charts are surprisingly versatile to fill the gaps!
The sunshades in the 680 are pretty good but we definitely used enroute charts in the Lears.

ew, ugly old bearded guys?
Lance you need to move up to a better quality sunshade.

It was just as bad at 6500ft heading SW into the late afternoon sun, the top of the inversion layer was at about 6000ft. Might as well been IFR as far as scanning for traffic was concerned.

awww poor lance gets the sun in his eyes at FL280 when he's cruising so fast westbound that the sun never sets

Being VFR in an old Cherokee with no AP, My wife is pretty good with an expired sectional... I once had to do the "famous 180" on the gauges because of sun and some crazed over windows.

So much for see and avoid LOL
Since all aircraft operate per ATC separation (positive control) at that altitude, plus FAA-mandated TCAS, what's the point of See and Avoid, or anti-collision lights for that matter?

I tried my enroute charts but I couldn't get my iPad in the slots.
Actually this is one of the better uses of a USAToday. It hurts to read it.

GOL 1907?
1. I don't consider Brazilian ATC as in the same league as ours.
2. With the sun in your eyes you are not going to see and avoid an aircraft approaching you at a 1000mph closing speed.
3. I was looking through the gaps :D.

I must be the only pilot who doesn't own an iPad. I think I've only touched one once.

I still have my charts on a Windows laptop. When it goes, I will probably get an iPad. I like to be behind the times a bit - hence why I'm happy with magnetos. ;)

I tried my enroute charts but I couldn't get my iPad in the slots.
Actually this is one of the better uses of a USAToday. It hurts to read it.

Yeah, and it's not soft enough to use as toilet paper.

We have Jeppview Flight Deck but we also still file paper Jepps. :redface:

I must be the only pilot who doesn't own an iPad. I think I've only touched one once.

It was more than just a touch...you actually held it for awhile, if I recall correctly.

It was more than just a touch...you actually held it for awhile, if I recall correctly.
Haha, good memory! I was wondering why the town of Sterling didn't move while everything else moved around it.

What's an eye pad?

And the worst sunburn of my life was on my face when doing a 4 hour afternoon run due West at 12000.... The next day I thought my entire face would fall off, then I worried it wouldn't and the pain would just continue forever... Of course I had my polarized aviator shades on when flying and I looked like an obscene version of a raccoon...

denny-o

I still have my charts on a Windows laptop. When it goes, I will probably get an iPad. I like to be behind the times a bit - hence why I'm happy with magnetos. ;)
I think that Lycoming must have brainwashed you.:D

I think that Lycoming must have brainwashed you.:D

You mean you didn't have a sip of the blue Kool-Aid I brought out to the flight line at Gaston's a few years back? ;)

Since all aircraft operate per ATC separation (positive control) at that altitude, plus FAA-mandated TCAS, what's the point of See and Avoid, or anti-collision lights for that matter?

Not once you leave the Continental US airspace.
There is no Class A over Hawaii... last I checked.

Not once you leave the Continental US airspace.
There is no Class A over Hawaii... last I checked.

On more than one occasion, I've seen someone in Class A airspace not talking to center. Several times, I've seen them in and out of clouds in the high teens not giving anyone the benefit of transponder, IFR flight plane or radio usage.

I do relax a bit in Class A here and when TIS is working. And what about RADAR coverage? Certainly that matters as far as detecting those that shouldn't be there.

My favorite chart is the D/FW terminal area chart BTW <g>. There always seems to be a place the sun visors just can't reach. Flying home yesterday, at 140 the sun was just behind where the front visor could get it, but not where moving it to the side would do!

Best,

Dave

A captain I fly with has some kind of black mesh baby sun visor that works very well.

A captain I fly with has some kind of black mesh baby sun visor that works very well.

A lot of guys here get the do-it-yourself car tenting kits from WalMart (the ones that static cling with no adhesive) and cut them into small-ish squares to stick around the windows. The only problem is, you have to have them on there by about FL200. Any higher and the windows get too cold for them to stick, even with the heaters on. Make sure you know/plan if your route is going to have any big turns in it!

Looks like a 700 Hawker, lots of time in one of those.
You DEAF yet?
Dave

A lot of guys here get the do-it-yourself car tenting kits from WalMart (the ones that static cling with no adhesive) and cut them into small-ish squares to stick around the windows. The only problem is, you have to have them on there by about FL200. Any higher and the windows get too cold for them to stick, even with the heaters on. Make sure you know/plan if your route is going to have any big turns in it!

The one he has uses suction cup adhesive. It works vey well

Back