Animated Avatars- Can they be stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As was mentioned, IE allows you to disable animated GIFs in the control panel.

In Firefox, just hit ESC while viewing the page.

I searched for it as a result of this thread -- I didn't know it either. Score one more for Firefox :D

And now there has been an educational benefit to this thread.... heh heh :D

Here is banjogirl.
attachment.php

I think that the amount and type of movement affects people's perception of whether they like it or not.

The other animated one that was praised was the beer drinking squirrel.

attachment.php

Those two I could live with forever.

I searched for it as a result of this thread -- I didn't know it either. Score one more for Firefox :D

And now there has been an educational benefit to this thread.... heh heh :D

I didn't know about that either. Now if there was a key that would resume the animation...

I didn't know about that either. Now if there was a key that would resume the animation...

With practice, you can stop it just right so that it looks like McCoy is gonna eat the page -- which is infinitely more entertaining than the animation itself :D

chomp.PNG

So, if you get distracted by an animated avitar, how in the heck do some of you people deal with distraction in the cockpit? Focus people. Don't let your ADD get the better of you.

So, if you get distracted by an animated avitar, how in the heck do some of you people deal with distraction in the cockpit? Focus people. Don't let your ADD get the better of you.

I don't know if that's a legitimate comparison of... Ooh, something shiny!

Maybe it's because I've got kids, but the 'Bones' avatar reminds me of the photos in the Harry Potter newspapers, where the subjects move on and off the page.

I almost changed to a Cowbell avatar this weekend because of Lisa thread. I was then also going to use an animated one for that. But since I had ran with it before I decided not to use it.

Huh? :dunno: I have nothing to do with this topic (or cowbells)! I only get in trouble with the cop related topics. :D

Huh? :dunno: I have nothing to do with this topic (or cowbells)! I only get in trouble with the cop related topics. :D
I think he's getting you mixed up with Laurie. Yeah, we all look alike...

I hit the escape key and all the gif animations stop.

Godspeed

Brian

Interesting.

I get the same sensation reading some of the threads on this board.

:rofl:

From time to time, an avatar appears which, with its repetitive motion, is very distracting.

Is there any way one can suspend the motion?

I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions about which avatar is bugging me, but watching it makes me nauseous to my bones.

Well Steve, your current animated avatar isn't as bad as the "Don't look at this Avatar" one :)

What??? I, I, I, I'm.......

Oooh... shiny!

As was mentioned, IE allows you to disable animated GIFs in the control panel.

In Firefox, just hit ESC while viewing the page.

God bless you, son.

Let me add another thank you for that tidbit for stopping animated images.

God bless you, son.

Amen!! I didn't know about that "escape" trick, either.

If you don't always want to hit escape every time you load the page, and don't care about seeing image animations on ANY site, and you're using Firefox, just type "about:config" (without the quote) in the browser address bar, and hit enter. Click the button to promise Firefox you'll be careful.

In the filter box, type "image.animation"... you should now see the image.animation_mode key. Double click the row to change the value from "normal" to one of these others:

none - never plays animations
once - plays each animated gif ONCE (doesn't continuously cycle--Bones(tm) will do his "jig" one time only)

If you later decide your page is too boring, go back in and set it to 'normal' and all will be back as it was...

I don't have a problem with the animated avatars, but the commie avatars bug me. Especially when the one displaying them lives and raises his/her family on American soil.

I don't have a problem with the animated avatars, but the commie avatars bug me. Especially when the one displaying them lives and raises his/her family on American soil.

I am intrigued... I cannot recall any Marxist-focused avatars, but maybe I missed 'em...

Che, Stalin, and now Mao that I remember.

Che, Stalin, and now Mao that I remember.

Man, you gotta believe that any pilot who'd use those would be doing so as some sort of ironic message, since there's no possibility of civil aviation for any of the totalitarian regimes...

So who has the Groucho Avatar that's so offensive :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back