Not open for further replies.

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
From time to time, an avatar appears which, with its repetitive motion, is very distracting.

Is there any way one can suspend the motion?

I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions about which avatar is bugging me, but watching it makes me nauseous to my bones.

From time to time, an avatar appears which, with its repetitive motion, is very distracting.

I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions about which avatar is bugging me, but watching it makes me nauseous to my bones.

:rofl: Oh boy...

You mean distracting like: :yikes:

yeah, those things make me wanna :mad2:

Well, I dunno... :dunno:

But I know what you mean. Watching these things is like :rollercoaster:

Yes, you go into the User CP, then edit options, and deselect the view avatars options. Or as an MC member you can ban all animated avatars through a feature change to the forums. The red board has done this. Or you could you just deal with it, this latest one went up when someone complained they did not like the static picture I had posted of Billy Redden in Deliverance.

Scott, always so friendly.

???? What do you mean by that? I just gave him the options. I meant no malice nor was I trying to be mean.
Your options are not the best. We're not exactly making millions on this site.
smigaldi said:
Or as an MC member you can ban all animated avatars through a feature change to the forums.
Generally, most folks, when they realize their avatar bothers people just change it. They don't ask the forum administrators to come up with a technical block for their avatar, as if we're paid to waste hours doing such things, when avatar problems only come up with one member.

Basically I read this as: "My previous avatar was annoying, as was the one before that, and then someone complained so I came up with another annoying distracting avatar...I know my avatar annoys you, but AHAHA, please waste hours of your time trying to figure out a technical way to stop me!" :mad2:

I DO NOT speak on behalf of the management council and the above is my opinion and nothing more.

Generally, most folks, when they realize their avatar bothers people just change it. They don't ask the forum administrators to come up with a technical block for their avatar, as if we're paid to waste hours doing such things, when avatar problems only come up with one member.

Basically I read this as: "My previous avatar was annoying, as was the one before that, and then someone complained so I came up with another annoying distracting avatar...I know my avatar annoys you, but AHAHA, please waste hours of your time trying to figure out a technical way to stop me!" :mad2:

I DO NOT speak on behalf of the management council and the above is my opinion and nothing more.
Jesse
I have no clue what your first point actually meant. But if you took my post in the way that wrote above you were mistaken.

I change my avatars often as I like ones that amuse me and sometimes others. At no time would I ever pretend that everyone would be happy and with only one exception, I posted one that I knew would bother people. That was the 2nd posting of eyefly. Which BTW has been my avatar on another board for over a year without one negative comment being made. This latest avatar was because one guy was freaked out over banjoboy, the screaming McCoy was a funny pointed at him over how banjoboy had freaked him out. He laughed at it.

I don't like your avatar, I think it pretty dumb looking. But you know what? It is you avatar to express yourself, so do as you please. I got other real things to worry about.

Spike's issue is with animated avatars. The 2nd most prolific poster on this board has had an animated avatar for many months now. How come that one did not seem to bother him or anyone?

Have we just run out of stuff to talk about so people have to make up issues? Is that what this board has really come to? How sad for PoA.

The options I stated are the three that I know can be implimented. If there are others share away.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill issue.

Last edited:
In IE if you uncheck play animations in web pages you can shut them off.

Of course it shuts off ALL animations.

Jesse
I have no clue what your first point actually meant. But if you took my post in the way that wrote above you were mistaken.

I change my avatars often as I like ones that amuse me and sometimes others. At no time would I ever pretend that everyone would be happy and with only one exception, I posted one that I knew would bother people. That was the 2nd posting of eyefly. Which BTW has been my avatar on another board for over a year without one negative comment being made. This latest avatar was because one guy was freaked out over banjoboy, the screaming McCoy was a funny pointed at him over how banjoboy had freaked him out. He laughed at it.

Spike's issue is with animated avatars. The 2nd most prolific poster on this board has had an animated avatar for many months now. How come that one did not seem to bother him or anyone?

Have we just run out of stuff to talk about so people have to make up issues? Is that what this board has really come to? How sad for PoA.

The options I stated are the three that I know can be implimented. If there are others share away.

Seems like a mountain out of a molehill issue.

Ok, so would you rather big brother setup some avatar block and some RoC addition stating some legal mumbo jumbo about avatars?

I'd rather not do the above. I'd rather just people choose avatars that are perhaps aviation specific, or at least not annoying...and if someone is offended perhaps they just quietly change it.

Ok, so would you rather big brother setup some avatar block and some RoC addition stating some legal mumbo jumbo about avatars?

I'd rather not do the above. I'd rather just people choose avatars that are perhaps aviation specific, or at least not annoying...and if someone is offended perhaps they just quietly change it.
Whatever:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Eh?

You haven't had the bones avatar for months...

I thought Scott's animatron was pretty neat when I first saw it but it didn't take long to become enough of an annoyance that I considered PM'ing him to beg for relief. IIRC, Kent's attack cat crossed the same threshold albeit after a few more repetitions. At this point, the only useful technical solution I can see would be a way to inhibit the display of selected user's avatar (or just the animation) and I suspect that that's either not possible or at least way too much effort for a volunteer staff member.

Assuming there's no such relief coming, I would request that a PoA policy be adopted that limits but doesn't exclude animated avatars. Perhaps just a one day maximum "run time" for any motion that repeats would tame the worst.

Assuming there's no such relief coming, I would request that a PoA policy be adopted that limits but doesn't exclude animated avatars. Perhaps just a one day maximum "run time" for any motion that repeats would tame the worst.
maybe we can have a private area for animated avatars?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Guys I change avatars like a girl changes clothes (Ok I have been listening to too much Katy Perry lately). I grow weary of these things about every two to three weeks.

maybe we can have a private area for animated avatars?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It wouldn't need to be private but I'd definitely want to be able to block it from my "new posts" searches.

I grow weary of these things about every two to three weeks.

It didn't take me anywhere near that long.

It didn't take me anywhere near that long.
While banjo boy got one complaint I did get several bring back banjogirl requests. She was animated unlike banjoboy. I almost changed to a Cowbell avatar this weekend because of Laurey's thread. I was then also going to use an animated one for that. But since I had ran with it before I decided not to use it.

Another well liked animated avatar of mine was the beer drinking squirrel. But besides the banjoboy and eyefly, the only other avatar that has been negatively comment upon has been Satan Clause. He is also one of the few avatars that I have recycled. Most of the negative comments were tongue in cheek. I do already have an alternative Santa Clause avatar ready for later this year. I also have somting special lined up for later this year to celebrate the 10th annivery of a world changing event. But you will have to wait until September for that.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be better if users were nice enough not to use
animated avatars.

Telling a user to shut off display of all avatars will certainly work,
but is hardly a considerate approach.

Prolific. That's an interesting choice of words....

I don't like your avatar, I think it pretty dumb looking.
I didn't know what the heck Jesse's avatar was until I saw for myself what it was: the view out the front of a Diamond DA-20 in a spin. I've seen a lot worse around here...

For the original poster, I'd suggest trying a browser option to turn off GIF animation. My roommate leaves Opera set that way all the time.

I didn't know what the heck Jesse's avatar was until I saw for myself what it was: the view out the front of a Diamond DA-20 in a spin. I've seen a lot worse around here...
I knew it was him a spin, I was just thinking..so. most of the aviation avatar strike me that way. I like avatars that are funny and show a different part of someone that we may not already know. Obviously people on this board like aviation, so what else makes you an interesting person? That is what I think the avatar is for. But I also understand that other people may not share that feeling. in fact there are some who may not like any avatar at all. Is this world wonderful that we all do not have to be the same nor comform to the identical set of likes and dislikes?

Someone screwed with post counts??

JESSE!!!

I checked to see if a deleting a message makes the post count go down (on my own posts) and it does! I think I merely mentioned we had that power on one of the 10,000(?) posts! messages. :devil:

While banjo boy got one complaint I did get several bring back banjogirl requests. She was animated unlike banjoboy. I almost changed to a Cowbell avatar this weekend because of Lisa thread. I was then also going to use an animated one for that. But since I had ran with it before I decided not to use it.

I actually liked BanjoBoy and I don't recall BanjoGirl. But BonesYelling makes me duck almost every time I see it. I don't think animation per se is a bad thing, I just don't like it when it's deliberately annoying and/or alarming.

I also have somting special lined up for later this year to celebrate the 10th annivery of a world changing event. But you will have to wait until September for that.

I think we should have a members only section of the board un-searchable by Google. The 500 member MC board will assign avatars to those exceeding two quadrillion post count.

Everyone should pay, and no one should be allowed to post.

I actually liked BanjoBoy and I don't recall BanjoGirl. But BonesYelling makes me duck almost every time I see it. I don't think animation per se is a bad thing, I just don't like it when it's deliberately annoying and/or alarming.
Here is banjogirl.
attachment.php

I think that the amount and type of movement affects people's perception of whether they like it or not.

The other animated one that was praised was the beer drinking squirrel.

attachment.php

But when Flyersfan31 was all freaked out about banjoboy there were some fun exchanges about how it was making him crazy looking at the pic. So that is why the Boneas avatar was appropriate to that topic. But like I said I too grow tired of these, I had already been searching a little this weekend for my next avatar. I also try to make them somewhat topical. I just had not found anything I liked a lot yet.

ok this post is an eyefull!!!

Attachments

• banjo_valentine2.gif
    banjo_valentine2.gif
    241.5 KB · Views: 133
  • squDrink.gif
    squDrink.gif
    128.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I think we should have a members only section of the board un-searchable by Google. The 500 member MC board will assign avatars to those exceeding two quadrillion post count.

Everyone should pay, and no one should be allowed to post.

Brilliant!

Pretty animated discussion. May merit a Seinfeld episode!

I've liked several of your avitors: squirrel was particularly funny. Really don't care for the current one, but looking forward to others.

Best,

Dave

Scott, I'd bet that that mosquito/eyeball avatar got more complaints than Satan Clause! I know *I* sure hated that thing... :eek:

<-- Calvin just doesn't understand the problem, here! :no:

While banjo boy got one complaint I did get several bring back banjogirl requests. She was animated unlike banjoboy. I almost changed to a Cowbell avatar this weekend because of Lisa thread. I was then also going to use an animated one for that. But since I had ran with it before I decided not to use it.

Another well liked animated avatar of mine was the beer drinking squirrel. But besides the banjoboy and eyefly, the only other avatar that has been negatively comment upon has been Satan Clause. He is also one of the few avatars that I have recycled. Most of the negative comments were tongue in cheek. I do already have an alternative Santa Clause avatar ready for later this year. I also have somting special lined up for later this year to celebrate the 10th annivery of a world changing event. But you will have to wait until September for that.

Scott, I'd bet that that mosquito/eyeball avatar got more complaints than Satan Clause! I know *I* sure hated that thing... :eek:

<-- Calvin just doesn't understand the problem, here! :no:
The eyeball thing did get the most complaints...here. Like I said it is still an avatar of mine elsewhere. The few comments I had gotten about there were positive. I think that maybe pilots might be like little old women, always complaining about something. ;)

The other forum has many more 'creative' types on it. So maybe it is a social culture issue? Pilots want everything the same. That is they way they like it. Put two pilots in a room and you will get an argument about any and everything. Put two musicians in a room and you get music. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I kinda like animated avatars.

Though Bones is a little hyper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back