Angle of attack indicator explained

When this idiot wrinkles the firewall in his 182 I hope he posts the video.
He seems to already have done more of this type of flying than the bottom 98% of pilots combined. How many gravel bar landings have you done if your life? If less than 50, you may not have a good leg to stand on. I have seen videos of stock 150s landing on gravel. Perhaps if more pilots did this type of fun flying the ranks would not have declined and so many airframes left to rot on the ramp and in old guys’ hangars.

He did crash land on a beach recently, but just because of an engine failure (some FOD inside oil passages) and not because of excessively dangerous activity.

What does everyone want here? Another anti-mask post? Or more flying content? Hard to tell.

He seems to already have done more of this type of flying than the bottom 98% of pilots combined. How many gravel bar landings have you done if your life? If less than 50, you may not have a good leg to stand on. I have seen videos of stock 150s landing on gravel. Perhaps if more pilots did this type of fun flying the ranks would not have declined and so many airframes left to rot on the ramp and in old guys’ hangars.

He did crash land on a beach recently, but just because of an engine failure (some FOD inside oil passages) and not because of excessively dangerous activity.

My comment is not about his skill, it is about the selection of the plane for the mission.

My comment is not about his skill, it is about the selection of the plane for the mission.
The best plane is the one that you are flying. How many Carbon Cubs/Maule/Zenith never even land on a gravel bar in their entire lifetime? I bet a fair percentage.

I repeat my question to you Clip4 - How many gravel bar landings have you successfully performed?

I guess you don't approve of this guy. (There is an even better video of some 150's in Alaska that I can't find)

What does everyone want here?

More posts about people flying under bridges, the danger of running over square for even a hot second, pattern entry debates, posts about how the poster wants a six place aeroplane that will do 200kts and go 2000nm but only wants to spend $80k, links to TaP showing clapped out 172s for sale for $200k, can-I-log-this-time-as-PIC threads, panel upgrade opinion posts, questions about whether or not you can fit in a Mooney if you are over 5’2” tall, which plane should I buy of my mission is ….. (answer- Bo)…. That kind of thing.

Or how about, if you are gonna post your yoooooootoooooobe content, maybe a little write-up of what the content is before I click your video (which I won’t do without at least said write-up). Dropping a video with no text smacks of clickbait to get views and likes.

And I am fun at parties…. Just that I don’t ever get invited to any :(

It’s just an interesting flying video. I don’t care if I help monetize clicks or whatever. I get my fun from watching. If I don’t, I move on.

I enjoy the stuff @motoadve puts out, so seeing his stuff posted here (even though I subscribe) helps to see the various opinions of others (better than the comments section).

Some folks don’t have enough turmoil in their lives, so if the annoyance of a flying video is the worst you got, I’m cool with that and happy for you (I really am).

Hakuna matada, kumbayah, and all that happy horsesh*t. Fly on brothers and sisters..,

Nah not really turmoil. Neither in life nor with things found on the internet. Just wish people would post descriptions of these things instead of dropping a video where people need to invest time watching to figure out if it’s something they wanted to invest time watching.

All good. Also gives me ideas for my new yoootooobe channel. Stay tuned.

It’s just an interesting flying video.
I wouldn't know, but I can tell you how an angle of attack indicator works in just a few sentences without clickbait.

Nauga,
and his airflow direction detector

I agree with the top half of your post, but might quibble with the last sentence. One might argue that taking a freshly worked on aircraft to a beach for this type of flying is excessively dangerous activity. Not that I have a problem with him doing so. We all set our own bar on what risk is acceptable. Personally, I find a lot of his flying to be excessively dangerous, and I’m glad more people aren’t doing it. Enough people die in planes already, we don’t need insufficiently trained people going out and trying this.

He seems to already have done more of this type of flying than the bottom 98% of pilots combined. How many gravel bar landings have you done if your life? If less than 50, you may not have a good leg to stand on. I have seen videos of stock 150s landing on gravel. Perhaps if more pilots did this type of fun flying the ranks would not have declined and so many airframes left to rot on the ramp and

I think he did a good job explaining how an AOA indicator can help you fly your airplane closer to the bottom of the flight envelope safely, so that you can make use of the smallest airfields available for your airplane. This takes practice to methodically get yourself and your airplane in tune to tighter approaches, landings, and takeoffs. The AOA indicator is just another tool to help with that, but you have to practice with it for it to be useful. The 182 is also a good all around airplane with a proven record of use in the Bush. All of the remote mountain airstrips in Montana were flown using a 182.

I'd fly with him.

Last edited:
I think he did a good job explaining how an AOA indicator can help you fly your airplane closer to the bottom of the flight envelope safely, so that you can make use of the smallest airfields available for your airplane. This takes practice to methodically get yourself and your airplane in tune to tighter approaches, landings, and takeoffs. The AOA indicator is just another tool to help with that, but you have to practice with it for it to be useful. The 182 is also a good all around airplane with a proven record of use in the Bush. All of the remote mountain airstrips in Montana were flown using a 182.
This would have been an awesome first post to go along with the video rather than one vague sentence that tells a potential viewer virtually nothing.

Nauga,
on-speed

@motoadve

Larry - I think I finally figured out why you like the red on bottom and say it’s more intuitive for you. It shows somewhat like an attitude indicator with each successive bar somewhat following the horizon (assuming wings level). Is that your thought process?

My thought process initially was that with the red on top, I’d need to “push down” to illuminate each successive lower bar, which seemed more intuitive.

May pull the trigger after I pay for my annual and buying an EDM-830.

@motoadve

May pull the trigger after I pay for my annual and buying an EDM-830.

I had this one installed on my Mooney during the first annual. Parts and installation cost me less than 1 AMU. Worth every dime.

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_145631752.jpg
    IMG_20181107_145631752.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201228_130123796.jpg
    IMG_20201228_130123796.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 25
Back