andyetanotherNG

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Howdy All - Yup, another newcomer refugee from rec.aviation. I always liked the aviation discussion on usenet when I could find it. This site looks like it has a little better SNR.

By way of introduction, I'm a low time PP and soon to be owner of a Dakota. The paperwork is in process so some time in the next couple weeks it'll be all mine (well, the bank's anyway). That's assuming we get past the pre-purchase inspection...

I've always had an interest in flying, from building balsa wood models to flying scale aircraft to being a CAP cadet to taking a few rides. Last year I decided that I wasn't getting any younger and it was time to see if I could learn to fly. After a false start in the fall I just took a couple months off of work (mostly) and learned to fly this spring.

That's a bit of a long winded intro but maybe it'll 'splain some of my questions 'cause this new aircraft has generated a lot of 'em. - Clark

That's kinda my story too. Loved planes and aviation and everything related ever since I was a kid. Finally up and did something about it a few years ago and I am so glad I did. It's great to hear the same from other. Congrats on the Dakota, too. Post pictures when you can, because.....:needpics:

Congrats on the new plane!

Welcome to the board! Where in the world do you hale from?

Geezzzz, I don't really know what this usenet thing is, but it sounds like things must really suck over there. Welcome to the good side of the internet, Clark!

Thanks for the kind welcomes. I'll post pictures when I get'em.

I'm in the Denver area so there is a lot of blue sky most of the time.

Haven't decided yet on basing the Dakota. EIK or BJC are the closest options. Basing at BJC will cost a little more but it is a little closer to my home. APA and FTG are out - APA 'cause it's just too darn busy (lastest rumour is they now have a $10 landing fee) and FTG is out 'cause I don't want to have to drive to Kansas just to fly.:)

I'm in the Denver area so there is a lot of blue sky most of the time.

Haven't decided yet on basing the Dakota. EIK or BJC are the closest options. Basing at BJC will cost a little more but it is a little closer to my home. APA and FTG are out - APA 'cause it's just too darn busy (lastest rumour is they now have a $10 landing fee) and FTG is out 'cause I don't want to have to drive to Kansas just to fly.:)
Welcome to the zoo and congratulations on your new airplane! I am also from the Denver area and am a contributer to the "busy" problem at APA.

Hi Clark - welcome aboard. I am in DEN as well, teaching at FTG, but my full time job is at APA. The nice thing about FTG is that it's not quite as busy as the other area airports (yet anyways), but I can't blame you for not wanted to drive so far.

Anyways, welcome, and hope to see you around!

Clark,

Welcome to our world. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Dakota - I flew one for twelve years. Only gave it up when I developed a five-place family. (Y'all be carefull, y'hear!) We look forward to chatting with you.

Regards,
Joe

Geezzzz, I don't really know what this usenet thing is, but it sounds like things must really suck over there. Welcome to the good side of the internet, Clark!
Usenet is/was a text-based discussion medium that predates internet forums (other that the old Compuserve SIGs) by about umpteen years. I used to be pretty active on it myself. It's a source of very good information and discussions. Biggest problem recently has been (1) internet forums like this that do not need special software to effectively negotiate the system (although you can get there with Google Groups) (2) internet forums like this that use updated systems and glitz, and (3) the inundation of usenet with an unfortunate amount of spam.

I love rumors. I'm based at APA and haven't heard it.

Good to hear that it's just a rumor. Wonder if one of the FBOs charged a ramp fee and called it a landing fee just to squeeze a couple $$ out of someone?

Welcome to PoA Clark!

The Dakota is a great airplane. We're anxious to see pictures!

Geezzzz, I don't really know what this usenet thing is...

It is in many ways a far superior messaging system than web-based forums. Its one major flaw is the same one plaguing email (SMTP): It's a protocol based on trust.

A very small minority of USENET groups are moderated. This allows anybody with a Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) client to attach to any of many USENET servers anonymously and send spam or trolling posts to flood any given group.

It's like finding a nice neighborhood to retire to - only to find gangsters moving in down the block a few years after you bought your home there. So, we end up here in what we hope is the virtual equivalent of a gated community.

midlifeflyer said:
Usenet is/was a text-based discussion medium that predates internet forums (other that the old Compuserve SIGs) by about umpteen years. I used to be pretty active on it myself. It's a source of very good information and discussions. Biggest problem recently has been (1) internet forums like this that do not need special software to effectively negotiate the system (although you can get there with Google Groups) (2) internet forums like this that use updated systems and glitz, and (3) the inundation of usenet with an unfortunate amount of spam.

It is in many ways a far superior messaging system than web-based forums. Its one major flaw is the same one plaguing email (SMTP): It's a protocol based on trust.

A very small minority of USENET groups are moderated. This allows anybody with a Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) client to attach to any of many USENET servers anonymously and send spam or trolling posts to flood any given group.

It's like finding a nice neighborhood to retire to - only to find gangsters moving in down the block a few years after you bought your home there. So, we end up here in what we hope is the virtual equivalent of a gated community.

:rofl: That's an excellent explanation that even I can understand, thank you!

By way of introduction, I'm a low time PP and soon to be owner of a Dakota. The paperwork is in process so some time in the next couple weeks it'll be all mine (well, the bank's anyway). That's assuming we get past the pre-purchase inspection...
If you don't mind, can you give any details re: your bank financing? :fcross:

If you don't mind, can you give any details re: your bank financing? :fcross:

I just went with Bank of America through the AOPA partnership. They've got a good handle on the paper work and the rate isn't horrible (lower than some of my student loans way back when).

If you want details then just give'em a call or check out www.aopa.org/loans

I am a contributer to the "busy" problem at APA.

No kidding :rofl: "Trouble Maker". Now what's this $10 landing fee I'm hearing about ?? And if it's an FBO charge, I may just put my plane in your hangar.

Welcome aboard Clark. Your story sounds similar to mine, nothing unusual I suspect.

An update on the Dakota - needs some work to get through the pre-buy inspection. Glad the problem was found and that a very experienced A&P (retired TWA) is repairing the aircraft. The seller is an up front man and is covering the repair cost. Proper respect to him on that on for sure.

So closing is delayed a couple weeks or so but that really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Dave2 said:
Now what's this $10 landing fee I'm hearing about ??
Like Mark, I really have no clue.
Uh, yeah, I don't think you want to know what that charge is...
Could be worse. One local airport initiated a retroactive landing fee. People got billed for landings three months earlier, with no previous public notice that they were going to start charging landing fees.

Ron Wanttaja

Back