Android AWOL from OSH

Also, Apple tends to dominate the high end of the market. Even though there are more Android devices selling now, iOS users tend to spend more money on apps. There's a lot more to this equation than "who sold more devices last quarter."

This type of stat always makes me chuckle. The average price of an iOS app is 19 cents. :D

Apple owners are such big spenders!

Actually they are. One algorithm on adaptive pricing websites quotes Apple browser users higher prices. I think it's some kind of IQ test.

Actually they are. One algorithm on adaptive pricing websites quotes Apple browser users higher prices. I think it's some kind of IQ test.

That's useful info! I'll be sure to shop from my Nexus rather than my iPad!

Does this fall under the "There's a sucker born every minute and two to take him" saying?! :D

That's useful info! I'll be sure to shop from my Nexus rather than my iPad!
Test with both. I have read about this practice but have not actually seen it.

Re adaptive pricing that is the holy grail to be attained from all the user data that is being collected. If they think you are serious about buying you may be quoted a higher price.

Re adaptive pricing that is the holy grail to be attained from all the user data that is being collected. If they think you are serious about buying you may be quoted a higher price.

I have tested it and it made no difference in price with Apple or Droid, IE or Safari, public or private WiFi. What does change is the price depending on competition, stock levels and other things. The means to access the site never made a difference I could detect. Most recent experiment was last week at Overstock.com.

If it were true, I think either Google or Apple would be on the merchant like stink on s***.

Cheers

Last edited:
This type of stat always makes me chuckle. The average price of an iOS app is 19 cents. :D

What's the average price of an app that costs more than zero cents? The minimum non-zero price is, IIRC, 99 cents.

As a client software developer, I prefer Android, but everything I read and every developer that I talk to says that iOS apps just flat make more money for the developer than do Android apps.

What's the average price of an app that costs more than zero cents? The minimum non-zero price is, IIRC, 99 cents.

As a client software developer, I prefer Android, but everything I read and every developer that I talk to says that iOS apps just flat make more money for the developer than do Android apps.

According to this, the average cost of an iOS app is 19 cents.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/18/90-of-ios-apps-are-free-average-cost-of-an-ios-app-is-19-cents/

Apple app developers may make more money than their Android counterparts, but it's not because iPad owners are big spenders.

My employer has invested a lot of money in data collection and software for adaptive pricing. I honestly didn't think we'd have the discipline to effectively implement the strategy, but we have, and it has been a huge profit driver.

My employer has invested a lot of money in data collection and software for adaptive pricing.
Can you tell us alittle bit about the critical parameters and the algorithms? Just a nonproprietary hint?

Can you tell us alittle bit about the critical parameters and the algorithms? Just a nonproprietary hint?

I'm not directly involved, but here's my understanding:

We use software by Zilliant. In simplified terms, it allows users to define regional markets and evaluate pricing on a product by product basis within each market. So, when a salesperson is selling a product in that market, there is a target price for the "average" price to expect in that market, but the system also provides a grid of prices around that target price, with the grid suggesting price "corrections" based on the nature of the job.

For instance, if it is a small job, the grid will suggest a higher price, because there probably won't be a long line of competitors chasing the same business. For bigger opportunities, the opposite is true. At the end of the day, the salesperson has the flexibility (within a specified range) to choose the price offered to the customer. However, the salesperson's commission is tied to the margin on the job, so s/he is incented to squeeze as much out of the customer as possible, while still earning the business.

Every quote, whether we win or lose the business, goes into the database to tweak (optimize) the regional pricing.

Hope that gives you some idea.

Amazing how things change but remain the same. The managing partner of the Big-8 accounting firm where I worked in the '60's always carried three bills for each audit when he attended the final meeting with the client. He presented the highest one he thought he could sell and keep the account.

I'm not directly involved, but here's my understanding:

We use software by Zilliant. In simplified terms, it allows users to define regional markets and evaluate pricing on a product by product basis within each market. So, when a salesperson is selling a product in that market, there is a target price for the "average" price to expect in that market, but the system also provides a grid of prices around that target price, with the grid suggesting price "corrections" based on the nature of the job.

For instance, if it is a small job, the grid will suggest a higher price, because there probably won't be a long line of competitors chasing the same business. For bigger opportunities, the opposite is true. At the end of the day, the salesperson has the flexibility (within a specified range) to choose the price offered to the customer. However, the salesperson's commission is tied to the margin on the job, so s/he is incented to squeeze as much out of the customer as possible, while still earning the business.

Every quote, whether we win or lose the business, goes into the database to tweak (optimize) the regional pricing.

Hope that gives you some idea.

Amazing how things change but remain the same. The managing partner of the Big-8 accounting firm where I worked in the '60's always carried three bills for each audit when he attended the final meeting with the client. He presented the highest one he thought he could sell and keep the account.

The Big-8's spawn have learned not to present those bills in person anymore. Now, they slip you the weenie by e-mail.

Most of the expensive apps are free, the money comes in the form of a subscription that makes the app work.

The meeting that preceeded the insertion of the hose was instrumental in choosing the size.

The Big-8's spawn have learned not to present those bills in person anymore. Now, they slip you the weenie by e-mail.

According to this, the average cost of an iOS app is 19 cents.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/18/90-of-ios-apps-are-free-average-cost-of-an-ios-app-is-19-cents/

Apple app developers may make more money than their Android counterparts, but it's not because iPad owners are big spenders.

But that counts free apps, many of which are ad supported.

You can't sell an app in the app store for less than 99 cents. The more interesting number to know would be the average revenue per app on the various platforms.

Back