Andrew, have a great time in Italy!

Bring back plenty of Prosciutto and I'll see you sometime this spring...

Don't get me started on the prosciutto. The USDA has been giving me the run around, and won't give me a permit. Such a massive PITA.

However, I've got a line on some Aldo Conterno 1995 Gran Bussia Barolo that sings... and the price is right, even with the garbage forex right now!!!! And hopefully I can make myself feel better about not having any prosciutto di cinghiale to bring home.

Thanks for the note Elizabeth -- we'll get a DC area Italian food junket together sometime after I get back... if I can fit in the airline seat :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

I had a conversation about prosciutto with my foodie friends yesterday over dinner (he's as passionate about food as you are...). Apparently someone they know spent 10 grand on a prosciutto slicer, since the normal deli slicers heat up and "cook" the meat ever so slightly.

I had a conversation about prosciutto with my foodie friends yesterday over dinner (he's as passionate about food as you are...). Apparently someone they know spent 10 grand on a prosciutto slicer, since the normal deli slicers heat up and "cook" the meat ever so slightly.

Berkels. Beautiful, hand cranked, sharp as a scalpel works of art that are amazingly functional, but also have antique status -- they were made somewhere in Indiana, I think, but I'm too lazy to google. 10000 sounds about right for a restored, perfect specimen. But, it is art.

I can also attest to how hot a commercial slicer can get. This is actually a positive trait for most commercial deli meat, which is stored in a 35F or so environment to prolong storage. The friction heat generated on the blade helps cheese slice cleanly, and creates that "deli odor" that so many people associate with "fresh meat" (since most places do not actually roast there own meat anymore).

For cured products that are best held and cured at "room temperature", this process is destructive because it heats the creamy, delicious cured fat and can cause a "temperature interference" with the meat itself. Want to make me cry? Try and slice room temperature lardo on a commercial slicer. Wars have been fought over lesser offenses.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The Spaniards and Italians bar keeps seem to do alright with a very sharp knife. To me that seems the best solution, skill!

Y'all are making me hungry and all I have to look forward to is a cafeteria lunch :(

The Spaniards and Italians bar keeps seem to do alright with a very sharp knife. To me that seems the best solution, skill!

Y'all are making me hungry and all I have to look forward to is a cafeteria lunch :(

The Spainards are GOOD. That jamon serrano rack they have is out of sight, and their knifework is second only to a Japanese fishmongers knife work (which is a blast to watch at 0530 when walking bleary eyed through Tsukiji)

Alas, my knifework will not ever be that good.

I won't send you links to photos then Scott, it seems half of the "snaps" I take are of whatever I happen to be eating at that time.

Cheers,

-Andrew
mm, food.

Don't get me started on the prosciutto. The USDA has been giving me the run around, and won't give me a permit. Such a massive PITA.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Been that way as long as I can remember, they always take your cured meats, although I did sneak in an excellent Salami once when I was 11:eek:.

The Spainards are GOOD. That jamon serrano rack they have is out of sight, and their knifework is second only to a Japanese fishmongers knife work (which is a blast to watch at 0530 when walking bleary eyed through Tsukiji)

Alas, my knifework will not ever be that good.

I won't send you links to photos then Scott, it seems half of the "snaps" I take are of whatever I happen to be eating at that time.

Cheers,

-Andrew
mm, food.

We need to go to Corduroy when you get back. I had jamon the last time I was there - although I did hear the chef is opening his own space sometime soon. Not sure where...

I skip the cafeteria here. Boriiiiing. Only trouble is that I know all the close by restaurants too well, too.

Oh well, 2 weeks to Kauai and 6 weeks to Milan. :yes:

I skip the cafeteria here. Boriiiiing. Only trouble is that I know all the close by restaurants too well, too.

Oh well, 2 weeks to Kauai and 6 weeks to Milan. :yes:
I forgot my lunch today so no choice. Restaurants around here are too jammed packed during lunch. Athens for me next month!

My travel plans over the next two start great and slowly decline:

Italy
Dallas
Dayton
Ireland
Germany
Poland
India
Malaysia
Philippines
Japan
Mexico

The bright spot on the back half of the trip is Japan; I do actually enjoy Indian food but always manage to get sick eating something I shouldn't from some street vendor. Fat people shouldn't travel :no:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Been that way as long as I can remember, they always take your cured meats, although I did sneak in an excellent Salami once when I was 11:eek:.

Well I'm trying to go way above board and get an import permit for prosciutto di cinghiale, or wild boar cured ham. It's the most amazing flavored cured meat you can get outside of the US. And I can technically import it if I get someone to sign papers on it... but finding out WHO (not where) can sign such papers is the subject of a great deal of mystery.

I'll get it imported one of these days...

Cheers,

-Andrew

My travel plans over the next two start great and slowly decline:

Italy
Dallas
Dayton
Ireland
Germany
Poland
India
Malaysia
Philippines
Japan
Mexico

This is mine (just work)

Macau, China
Athens
Denver, CO
Amsterdam
Kobe, Japan
Hiroshima, Japan
Macau, China
Caribbean

This is mine:

Nowhere.

But I did have some corned beef out of a sealed pack today for lunch.

But I did have some corned beef out of a sealed pack today for lunch.

I am going to start my 12 day odessy to make corned beef from scratch.l I will be actually 'corning' the brisket myself. The salt peter showed up this past week so now I have everything.

Mine, so far:

Atlanta (work, but also friends live there)
late May - Germany! To pick up a new Bimmer. And then 16 nights in the Alps.
early fall: most likely Morocco. I'm thinking of flying into Paris and hanging out there for 3 nights before heading on...
other places still TBD.

And mine:
Salt Lake City (work)
Philadelphia (Wings)
Gaston's (Duh!)
Oshkosh (Duh!)
Anchorage (99's)

Luckily, the only one of those on the Sky Bus is SLC!

And mine:
Salt Lake City (work)
Do the taxpayers know they are sending you on exotic travel to strange lands?

BTW Temple Square is worth the visit. Do NOT write down your address on any guest book if you do not want visitors when you come home. Prior to going you may wish to watch 'The Mormons' documentary that was on PBS. As you are from Illinois there will be a lot of local information that will come in handy when you visit.

Do the taxpayers know they are sending you on exotic travel to strange lands?

BTW Temple Square is worth the visit. Do NOT write down your address on any guest book if you do not want visitors when you come home. Prior to going you may wish to watch 'The Mormons' documentary that was on PBS. As you are from Illinois there will be a lot of local information that will come in handy when you visit.
I was out there a couple of weeks ago, too. Going out just for the training, and no time in the agenda for sightseeing.:no: Might walk through the square, though.

This is mine (just work)

Macau, China
Athens
Denver, CO
Amsterdam
Kobe, Japan
Hiroshima, Japan
Macau, China
Caribbean

Same with me. If I include personal travel...

Western NC (forget where, Jessie's family)
Frankfurt, KY (Derby Weekend)
NYC (wedding)
Wings
Boston

and I know, at one point or another this weekend, I committed to go somewhere the weekend of the 10th in May. I just forget where :dunno:

Cheers,

-Andrew

and I know, at one point or another this weekend, I committed to go somewhere the weekend of the 10th in May. I just forget where :dunno:

May 11: Mother's Day. I've got something almost every weekend from now until late May.... and it all could become a shambles if we make progress on either of the foreign deals.

May 11: Mother's Day. I've got something almost every weekend from now until late May.... and it all could become a shambles if we make progress on either of the foreign deals.

Thank god my Mom doesn't read PoA. Add "Hartford" to the above list!

Eeek.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I won't be home for Mother's Day but I'm treating Mom to the trip to Europe so I guess that's covered. Now Dad is going to be a doozy this year!

I'm thinking of flying my mother up to see my brother this Mom's Day. She's never been up with us!

Well, this year it's already been:

Esopus, NY (Marist Bros Retreat Center, Phi Kappa Sigma Men of Honor)
Denver, CO
Copenhagen
Paris
Greenville, SC

Coming up (through the end of the year) are:

Kauai (vacation!)
Piscataway, NJ
Milan
Salt Lake City
Acapulco (vacation!)
Atlanta (Phi Kappa Sigma Grand Chapter)
Detroit (IEEE International Symposium on EMC)
Osaka
Long Beach, CA

Then there are the unplanned trips that can come up with little or no warning. Hopefully those will be few and far between. I'd really like to finish my IR this summer.

I think Elizabeth is keeping a tad too close an eye on Andrew's movements! OTOH, she is single, pretty, and a lawyer! Could do worse! :)

Back