Andreini Family Suing Air Force for $10 Million

He pancaked an open cockpit plane inverted into pavement. I don't see how he survived impact.

Was there movement in the cockpit witnessed after the crash?

Response sounds slow no doubt, but he may have been dead on impact. If he were my Dad, that's what I would hope.

I am not standing in their shoes so I have no way to know what they are feeling or their motivation for the suit.

According to Danko, part of the motivation to sue is that the air-force is actively obfuscating what happened that day. Before you sue the federal government for damages you have to send them a claim opening an opportunity to reach a direct settlement. Only after 6months of wait time, if the .gov doesnt respond, the clock starts ticking to file a suit.

There are apparently a few misconceptions here about who has authority to do what when it comes to CFR operations in regard to the air show industry:

The performer himself generally has little say-so in the type or positioning of CFR equipment-- that responsibility belongs to the air show organizer and air field operator. At most civilian shows, these entities, as well as the performers, delegate final authority on these matters to the air boss, who works with local CFR units to achieve the desired result.

And, most air bosses don't hesitate to use that authority. I've air boss'd around 40 shows, and in that time I've stopped shows because the on-field ambulance went off-field transporting a spectator with a heart attack, I've demanded that CFR wear full gear despite the 90 degree+ weather, I've delayed shows while the CFR equipment responded to small grass fires started with the pyro, etc. And I never, ever, allowed a show to start or proceed unless the CFR equipment is staged, beyond the crowd line, with direct access to the runway and operational environment-- which will generally provide a response time to the runway of 60 seconds or less.

The CFR crew must also provide a means to exit the airport property (cutting through fences, etc.) to enable the fastest response possible in the event that an accident occurs off-airport. And, in what I call the "Charlie Hilliard" rule, there must be a forklift or other piece of equipment available that is capable of lifting or righting an aircraft that winds up inverted on the ground (as was the case in Eddie's accident). In those 40 shows, BTW, I've never had a CFR crew object to anything I've suggested or required-- if anything they go above and beyond the agreed upon criteria.

All that said, when the air show takes place at a military base, different rules apply. The military has their own protocols, and they trump anything us civilians want. One of those protocols relates to staging: as I understand it, at the time of Eddie's accident, the military protocol in place was the same protocol the base used for normal air operations (ie, the equipment was on standby, in the fire house, not at the runway).

In the interim since this accident, the Air Force has agreed with ICAS to make a change to their SOP, and will in the future treat air show operations with the same protocols used when they have a known, declared, imminent emergency-- they will stage equipment near the runways, as is done at the civilian shows.

Note, the air show pilot has even less input in these decisions during a military show than he does in a civilian show: his only choice is to observe the protocols in place and make a go/no-go decision based on them. Similarly, at shows held on military bases, the air boss usually has little influence-- most military shows use their own air boss (at one I'm aware of, the only criteria to be assigned the role of "air boss" was to be unfortunate enough to be the most junior officer in the unit). Such military air bosses often have neither the training nor the clout to insist on hard-and-fast safety protocols, as their civilian counterparts do. Some military shows do bring in a civilian air boss, if not to actually air boss the show, then to assist-- but their position is usually considered only advisory in regard to matters such as CFR operations, which are already governed by the strict military protocols.

In Eddie's case, there's is ample evidence to suggest that, had civilian CFR protocols been in place, the accident might have been survivable. The fact that the Air Force has already agreed to amend their protocols during air shows to mirror their civilian counterparts may indicate that they realize this was the case as well-- and it will be interesting to see to what extent this decision may influence the outcome of the pending lawsuit.

Please... Part of why were going broke....National debt 18 trillion dollars! What a asinine statement. USAF already payed off on one of these, for sub Standard emergency services. Didn't learn their lesson. Pay the family.
Why should the family profit? He engaged in a high risk activity and the Air Force was not able to save his bacon. It might be different if he survived and required prolonged medical care and support services.

There are apparently a few misconceptions here about who has authority to do what when it comes to CFR operations in regard to the air show industry:

The performer himself generally has little say-so in the type or positioning of CFR equipment-- that responsibility belongs to the air show organizer and air field operator. At most civilian shows, these entities, as well as the performers, delegate final authority on these matters to the air boss, who works with local CFR units to achieve the desired result.
He or she has the ultimate say-so when it comes to the go verses no go decision and the criteria used to make that decision.

And, most air bosses don't hesitate to use that authority. I've air boss'd around 40 shows, and in that time I've stopped shows because the on-field ambulance went off-field transporting a spectator with a heart attack, I've demanded that CFR wear full gear despite the 90 degree+ weather, I've delayed shows while the CFR equipment responded to small grass fires started with the pyro, etc. And I never, ever, allowed a show to start or proceed unless the CFR equipment is staged, beyond the crowd line, with direct access to the runway and operational environment-- which will generally provide a response time to the runway of 60 seconds or less.

The CFR crew must also provide a means to exit the airport property (cutting through fences, etc.) to enable the fastest response possible in the event that an accident occurs off-airport. And, in what I call the "Charlie Hilliard" rule, there must be a forklift or other piece of equipment available that is capable of lifting or righting an aircraft that winds up inverted on the ground (as was the case in Eddie's accident). In those 40 shows, BTW, I've never had a CFR crew object to anything I've suggested or required-- if anything they go above and beyond the agreed upon criteria.

All that said, when the air show takes place at a military base, different rules apply. The military has their own protocols, and they trump anything us civilians want. One of those protocols relates to staging: as I understand it, at the time of Eddie's accident, the military protocol in place was the same protocol the base used for normal air operations (ie, the equipment was on standby, in the fire house, not at the runway).

In the interim since this accident, the Air Force has agreed with ICAS to make a change to their SOP, and will in the future treat air show operations with the same protocols used when they have a known, declared, imminent emergency-- they will stage equipment near the runways, as is done at the civilian shows.

Note, the air show pilot has even less input in these decisions during a military show than he does in a civilian show: his only choice is to observe the protocols in place and make a go/no-go decision based on them. Similarly, at shows held on military bases, the air boss usually has little influence-- most military shows use their own air boss (at one I'm aware of, the only criteria to be assigned the role of "air boss" was to be unfortunate enough to be the most junior officer in the unit). Such military air bosses often have neither the training nor the clout to insist on hard-and-fast safety protocols, as their civilian counterparts do. Some military shows do bring in a civilian air boss, if not to actually air boss the show, then to assist-- but their position is usually considered only advisory in regard to matters such as CFR operations, which are already governed by the strict military protocols.

In Eddie's case, there's is ample evidence to suggest that, had civilian CFR protocols been in place, the accident might have been survivable. The fact that the Air Force has already agreed to amend their protocols during air shows to mirror their civilian counterparts may indicate that they realize this was the case as well-- and it will be interesting to see to what extent this decision may influence the outcome of the pending lawsuit.
All good points but I believe that the Air Force should get out of the air show business completely.

One of those protocols relates to staging: as I understand it, at the time of Eddie's accident, the military protocol in place was the same protocol the base used for normal air operations (ie, the equipment was on standby, in the fire house, not at the runway).

One of the fatalities in the Ramstein air-show crash in 1988 was Capt Kim Strader who was a helicopter pilot staged at the flightline with his UH60 to provide medevac standby. The air forces reluctance to put most of its assets at show central may have been informed by that experience.

Given the geography of Travis, stationing trucks at the remote runway would have probably required downgrading the response at the main complex as that part of the airport would have been outside of the response radius for the units at the remote runway.

The fact that the Air Force has already agreed to amend their protocols during air shows to mirror their civilian counterparts may indicate that they realize this was the case as well-- and it will be interesting to see to what extent this decision may influence the outcome of the pending lawsuit.
In my limited understanding of tort law, the fact that you changed (improved) a product after a mishap cannot be used as evidence that the original product was defective.

Last edited:
Profit!! I'm sure the Andreini's don't see it as profit. Quite frankly they don't need the money. Just glad it will be adjudicated in a court of law. And not by a bunch of uninformed Joe sixpack pilots on a message board.

Profit!! I'm sure the Andreini's don't see it as profit. Quite frankly they don't need the money. Just glad it will be adjudicated in a court of law. And not by a bunch of uninformed Joe sixpack pilots on a message board.
Then maybe they will donate it all to a charity.

He pancaked an open cockpit plane inverted into pavement. I don't see how he survived impact.

Was there movement in the cockpit witnessed after the crash?

Not only movement, but his crew reported radio contact with him after the crash, in which he stated he was "okay", but trapped. The autopsy confirmed that he died from smoke inhalation and burns, not trauma.

Not only movement, but his crew reported radio contact with him after the crash, in which he stated he was "okay", but trapped. The autopsy confirmed that he died from smoke inhalation and burns, not trauma.

Bad deal all around... :(

Ok, let's say the rescue crews got there too late, causing or contributing to his death. Seems like a lot of money to ask for someone doing an inherently life-risking activity.

And what about that poor Chinese girl that was run over and killed by an SFO fire truck *after* surviving the Asiana crash? Her family should damn sure get 5 or 10 million dollars because she didn't do anything risky, it was 100% the fault of the responder, and she was young with her entire adult life and earning power ahead of her.

Since when do we aim for the minimum standard ?

If the minimum standard isn't good enough, then it isn't a minimum standard...by definition.

Ok, let's say the rescue crews got there too late, causing or contributing to his death. Seems like a lot of money to ask for someone doing an inherently life-risking activity.
The pilot's loss of control was the cause of death. Rescue may have been possible but not a certainty.
And what about that poor Chinese girl that was run over and killed by an SFO fire truck *after* surviving the Asiana crash? Her family should damn sure get 5 or 10 million dollars because she didn't do anything risky, it was 100% the fault of the responder, and she was young with her entire adult life and earning power ahead of her.

I agree with this.

Not being a stunt pilot would have saved his life too....

But let's ignore that.

But let's blame someone else....it's the American way!!

What an idiotic remark. Completely ignorant of the facts. Crawl back under your rock.

My only experience in this was apprenticing as AirBoss for a local airport's airshow. Our standard in our plan was to have apparatus on scene in less than two minutes, and the way we did that was to have the trucks holding short of a taxiway, with the crew having everything on except coats and helmets. We actually did a test run with the FSDO observing and the truck was at the farthest drivable location ready to go in 90 seconds.

So a five minute response does seem unusually long to me.

Why should the family profit? He engaged in a high risk activity and the Air Force was not able to save his bacon. It might be different if he survived and required prolonged medical care and support services.

Another completely ignorant remark. You think these performers get rich off these shows? They do them because they love it and hope to entertain you. They are lucky to make expenses. Those fire crews were completely asleep at the switch, hellooooooo!

With any low altitude work if the equipment isn't running and ready to respond immediately they are NOT DOING THEIR JOB. They should have been rolling with water canons in full blast seconds after he touched the runway. He may have been burned but we wouldn't have lost him. They screwed the pooch HUGE.

Am continually amazed at the lack of common sense on a forum of people that may have actually acquired a pilots license with no apparent working brain cells.

I knew Eddie. He did a job for us years back and was as great a guy as you could imagine. Called me one day when Devils Slide had dropped on highway 1. He had DOT, that he was loading with the DG covering the road, bring it to the subdivision I was building in the middle of winter..... After all their trucks layed the material out on my dirt subgrade streets here comes Eddie bouncing down highway 1 with his grader to spread it out and give me winterized roads for several blocks. Think he charged me? Think he was looking for someone to pay his bacon? No, and it was a Sunday. That was the kind of guy he was.

So reconsider these stupid remarks about him being at fault here or not being responsible for himself. His service was so big they had to completely cover the lawn around the outside of the church with extra seating and it was packed. His family has every right to be totally ****ed, as are those of us that know what happened and miss him terribly.

Last edited:
My only experience in this was apprenticing as AirBoss for a local airport's airshow. Our standard in our plan was to have apparatus on scene in less than two minutes, and the way we did that was to have the trucks holding short of a taxiway, with the crew having everything on except coats and helmets. We actually did a test run with the FSDO observing and the truck was at the farthest drivable location ready to go in 90 seconds.

So a five minute response does seem unusually long to me.

We are talking about federal guvmin though....:rolleyes:

They probably will send the next of kin a bill for the emergency service. And the cost to clean up the runway. And reseed the burnt grass...

Another completely ignorant remark. You think these performers get rich off these shows? They do them because they love it and hope to entertain you. They are lucky to make expenses. Those fire crews were completely asleep at the switch, hellooooooo!

With any low altitude work if the equipment isn't running and ready to respond immediately they are NOT DOING THEIR JOB. They should have been rolling with water canons in full blast seconds after he touched the runway. He may have been burned but we wouldn't have lost him. They screwed the pooch HUGE.

Am continually amazed at the lack of common sense on a forum of people that may have actually acquired a pilots license with no apparent working brain cells.

I knew Eddie. He did a job for us years back and was as great a guy as you could imagine. Called me one day when Devils Slide had dropped on highway 1. He had DOT, that he was loading with the DG covering the road, bring it to the subdivision I was building in the middle of winter..... After all their trucks layed the material out on my dirt subgrade streets here comes Eddie bouncing down highway 1 with his grader to spread it out and give me winterized roads for several blocks. Think he charged me? Think he was looking for someone to pay his bacon? No, and it was a Sunday. That was the kind of guy he was.

So reconsider these stupid remarks about him being at fault here or not being responsible for himself. His service was so big they had to completely cover the lawn around the outside of the church with extra seating and it was packed. His family has every right to be totally ****ed, as are those of us that know what happened and miss him terribly.
Nothing stupid about my remarks. The pilot engaged in an extremely risky activity by choice. I'm saddened by his death but he alone is responsible.

So Eddie was a great guy and ran a mean grader. The pilot of Colgan at buffalo was said by his wife to be a great guy and a very religious person. They both have one thing in common. They screwed up and killed themselves and in the case of Colgan, many others. Eddie could have gone into the crowd but did not which is fortunate. Lawyers approaching family's having lost someone Are a dime a dozen and they oftentimes weasel their way into a lawsuit. Eddie was at fault, no one else. He knew the odds. End of story. But......it will go on and on with hidden settlement. Too bad.

If you Auger it in your family will do exactly the same thing. I hope the lowlifes will come out and pick over your bones. And disparage your family.

If you Auger it in your family will do exactly the same thing. I hope the lowlifes will come out and pick over your bones. And disparage your family.

If I pull a CFIT or other stupid pilot trick don't try to place the blame elsewhere.

Eddie is not suing, he is dead.
He lived a life most only dream of.
His performances added a lot of fun to many people’s lives.
His friendship added a lot to mine.
There was standing room only at his funeral, he had a lot of friends.
In my opinion he would take responsibility for his mistakes.
The family is suing.
I don’t pretend to know why and don’t condemn them for their choice.
I have found it easy to imagine people do things for the same reason I would.
I have not found much value in that and it only reveals my character.
Perhaps some who are making assumptions should step away from the mirror before they reveal too much about their values.

Eddie is not suing, he is dead.
He lived a life most only dream of.
His performances added a lot of fun to many people’s lives.
His friendship added a lot to mine.
There was standing room only at his funeral, he had a lot of friends.
In my opinion he would take responsibility for his mistakes.
The family is suing.
I don’t pretend to know why and don’t condemn them for their choice.
I have found it easy to imagine people do things for the same reason I would.
I have not found much value in that and it only reveals my character.
Perhaps some who are making assumptions should step away from the mirror before they reveal too much about their values.

I'm sorry. I don't think the family is entitled to 10 million taxpayer dollars. I'll go with $1 and an apology from the Air Force.

Nothing stupid about my remarks. The pilot engaged in an extremely risky activity by choice. I'm saddened by his death but he alone is responsible.

Normally I am totally against frivolous lawsuits that are brought by grieving family members in the wake of an airplane crash. I have told my next of kin that I will haunt them for all eternity if they try to sue anyone in the wake of any stupid airplane mishap that may befall me.

That said, this case is WAY different. The family isn't suing Boeing because of some absurd perceived flaw in the construction of a 70 year old plane -- they are suing the CLEARLY negligent rescue personnel who CLEARLY were not doing the job we, as taxpayers, were paying them to do.

It took over five minutes to respond, as this poor trapped pilot slow-roasted. Five minutes? I can drive from my hotel in downtown Port Aransas to the local airport on the edge of town in FOUR minutes. If the Air Force can't figure out how to put a fire out on a tube and fabric airplane quicker than that, they need to refund our tax money, and we should subcontract our air defense needs out to someone competent.

Personally, I find the dollar amounts involved in this suit to be absurd. I would rather see the people responsible for this travesty brought up on charges of negligence.

That said, can you military guys comment on what might happen to someone responsible for bringing such a poop-storm down upon the Air Force? Would this even be a "CLM" (Career Limiting Move") for the people responsible?

Last edited:
That said, can you military guys comment on what might happen to someone responsible for bringing such a poop-storm down upon the Air Force? Would this even be a "CLM" (Career Limiting Move") for the people responsible?

Career limiting would be a good way of putting it. Black mark on one's record that typically eliminates future promotion potential.

The DoD doesn't typically charge service members with criminal negligence for situations like that. The Coast Guard, on the other hand, does have a history of charging its servicemembers with criminal negligence for fatal accidents in the line of duty.

Career limiting would be a good way of putting it. Black mark on one's record that typically eliminates future promotion potential.

The DoD doesn't typically charge service members with criminal negligence for situations like that. The Coast Guard, on the other hand, does have a history of charging its servicemembers with criminal negligence for fatal accidents in the line of duty.

Thanks for the comment.

Interesting fact about the Coast Guard, although it's hard to imagine a similar situation where ones negligent planning could cost someone their life.

This case was so egregious, and the video evidence is so damning, it's hard to imagine anyone involved NOT getting some sort of discipline.

Interesting fact about the Coast Guard, although it's hard to imagine a similar situation where ones negligent planning could cost someone their life.

Planning, no, but there was a recent case in San Diego where s boat coxswain was charged with criminal negligence after accidentally running over another boat killing someone on the 4th of July.

They also attempted to charge the co-pilot of an H-60 (he was neither the aircraft commander or the pilot flying) with criminal negligence after an accident where he was the only survivor (they ended up dropping that case).

What an idiotic remark. Completely ignorant of the facts. Crawl back under your rock.

Sorry....but your buddy landed his plane upside down.

That is a fact.

Try not to blame others for the mistake of the pilot.

Travis has a 10,000 foot long runway. I don't know exactly where the fire trucks were at the time of the crash but I do know the trucks are not very fast and are normally kept in the station with just a "crash wagon" parked near the spectator line. 5 minutes doesn't seem like a long response time if the pumper(s) were a couple of miles away.

The fire was fed by the smoke system after the crash (white smoke).
Too much smoke oil will catch fire in the pipe, being inverted on the runway would have this burning oil running down to the fabric of the airframe and the fuel tank in the upper wing. They say the same thing may have contributed to Amanda Franklin's death.

If you have a smoke system in your airplane PLEASE run the ground wire thru a Hobbs meter type pressure switch plumbed into the oil pressure port of the engine. Should the engine quit for any reason (throttle to idle, engine problem or a crash) the hobbs switch will open and switch the oil pump off.

RIP Eddie

Chris

The pilot engaged in an extremely risky activity by choice. I'm saddened by his death but he alone is responsible.

Even where someone is solely responsible for an accident, that has no affect or bearing on the responsibilities accepted by paid emergency responders. This is not a case where good Samaritan laws are applicable, since the people being sued are being sued not because they were innocent bystanders who acted incorrectly, or because they had anything to do with the cause of the accident, but because they accepted certain obligations of their own.

I believe in many jurisdictions (public) paid emergency responders have a legal duty to act. An unreasonable and unexcused delay in responding might be considered a failure in that duty if the delay can be shown to have made a difference in the outcome.

The case is filed - complaining about it is pointless. It is now just a question of whether the plaintiff can prove to the court that the emergency responders failed to meet a reasonable "standard of care" in this instance.

Normally I am totally against frivolous lawsuits that are brought by grieving family members in the wake of an airplane crash. I have told my next of kin that I will haunt them for all eternity if they try to sue anyone in the wake of any stupid airplane mishap that may befall me.

That said, this case is WAY different. The family isn't suing Boeing because of some absurd perceived flaw in the construction of a 70 year old plane -- they are suing the CLEARLY negligent rescue personnel who CLEARLY were not doing the job we, as taxpayers, were paying them to do.

It took over five minutes to respond, as this poor trapped pilot slow-roasted. Five minutes? I can drive from my hotel in downtown Port Aransas to the local airport on the edge of town in FOUR minutes. If the Air Force can't figure out how to put a fire out on a tube and fabric airplane quicker than that, they need to refund our tax money, and we should subcontract our air defense needs out to someone competent.

Personally, I find the dollar amounts involved in this suit to be absurd. I would rather see the people responsible for this travesty brought up on charges of negligence.

The pilot was not forced to fly if he found the rescue plan lacking or did not see an emergency vehicle positioned acceptably before he started the stunt. The pilot was an integral component of the negligence. My tax dollars were paid to rescue military personnel in the line of duty not for risk taking civilian pilots. This lawsuit may stop civilian airshows at military bases and that's fine by me.

Last edited:
We as a society have become a lynch mob. No matter what, someone else is responsible and must be punished. Bad stuff happens, we don't have to pin it on someone every time. This is a sad event and I wish he had ended differently. This is the very reason we can't even have a fly in at my home drome, heaven forbid something happen, the city gets sued, so they just don't allow it. This lawsuit madness has to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen many people saying that the 5 minutes response time was too long but the NTSB report that was linked in one of the posts says it was between 3-4 minutes. Just how far did the trucks have to roll on a 10,000 runway to get to the crash site?

Does anyone actually know what the AF standard for response time is? By the sound of it, it seems that they reacted within their standards. If not, there would be no need to rewrite their SOP??? From what I gather, they don't position their crash trucks near the runway at AF bases. With an 11,000 ft runway, that's a long ways away. As an air show performer, I'd think that would be unacceptable since I'd be willing to bet most air show crashes occur near show center.

In the Marines, we always had a truck positioned near show center with a guy in a "silver suit" up top. Same standard that was used during normal flight hours where they are positioned at the "hot spot" ready to go. Different services, different standards. That's what this whole mess is really about; standards and polices. I've heard ICAS and FAA response standards but I've heard nothing about any AF standards. While I agree, 4 minutes or 5 minutes is too long, if everyone was aware of ARFF standards at Travis, then there should be no lawsuit.

I've seen many people saying that the 5 minutes response time was too long but the NTSB report that was linked in one of the posts says it was between 3-4 minutes. Just how far did the trucks have to roll on a 10,000 runway to get to the crash site?

Watch it yourself, and be the judge. Personally, I find the emergency response to be 100%, absolutely inadequate.

This awful video begins shortly after the crash occurred, and goes until after the "professionals" showed up to put out the flames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmY8IrLa7k

Watch it yourself, and be the judge. Personally, I find the emergency response to be 100%, absolutely inadequate.

This awful video begins shortly after the crash occurred, and goes until after the "professionals" showed up to put out the flames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmY8IrLa7k

I just watched it and a pickup truck was there in the first minute then at a 2:33 second mark a larger vehicle arrived and then at the 4:02 a still larger vehicle arrived. From that video it's hard to tell what the various vehicles were doing but it's also clear that the plane was on fire from the start of the video and I'm not sure just what could have been done to change the outcome. Just from the video linked I don't think we can pass a factual and fair judgment on the situation. More information is needed.

Water or some other fire retardant would have helped. As I previously stated THIRTY SECONDS is the standard CFR response determination. This video doesn't even start until almost a minute after the wreck. We're not talking a jet full of fuel here. While whatever that pickup might have been carrying possibly wasn't enough, a regular crash truck that could flow water or foam could have ended the fire sequence in seconds.

What on earth are they staging CFR for if not to the only activity currently going on with the runway.

I've had the ANG CFR guys chase me down the runway after I reported smoke in the cockpit.
It's not the case that the military guys don't know what's required. I'd love to know just what was going on in this situation.

It's not the case that the military guys don't know what's required. I'd love to know just what was going on in this situation.

Maybe the family found someone who would testify to something bad. Just can't tell.

And if they did, expect a large sum and a sealed settlement.

Back