And now, for something completely different.....

I saw one of those about 15 years ago. It wasn't a subaru though. No sliding around at all. The only problem is you'd have to live somewhere with enough snow to actually use the things. Even in Colorado, it's pointless for more than a few days a month unless you managed to live somewhere high that gets hammered with very little plowing.

Fortunately, most of us who live up North are capable of driving in a little snow.

Fortunately, most of us who live up North are capable of driving in a little snow.

I don't think tracks would offer any advantage on a plowed road, or even an unplowed one as long as the snow wasn't deeper than the vehicle's ground clearance. What they will do is let you travel over deep snow like a snowmobile by spreading the load out over a large area. Normally, tracks offer much less lateral support (turning ability) than tires but they will climb right over deep snow and offer amazing traction for starting and stopping at low speeds.

Even in Colorado, it's pointless for more than a few days a month unless you managed to live somewhere high that gets hammered with very little plowing.
I needed one of those last week when I high-centered my conventional Subaru on a drift in the middle of a county road...

I needed one of those last week when I high-centered my conventional Subaru on a drift in the middle of a county road...

I remember high-centering my Subaru in the parking lot of my apartment complex when I was in college. Jacked it up, piles the chains from my other car under the front wheels (no 4wd Subarus in the 1974 model year), lowered it off the jack, put it in reverse and popped the clutch. Unstuck, right now. :D

Back