And it's not even for an airplane

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
The numbers on a couple of the knobs on my stove top range are wearing off and are hard to read. I figured a couple of replacement knobs might be $10 or $15 each, and I expected to pay shipping.

But not this:
knob.gif

I had an issue with the knobs on our Frigidaire range... plating was coming off. Parts places wanted about $30-40 per knob. I emailed the company and asked about replacements, and they shipped me a full set - for free.

I had an issue with the knobs on our Frigidaire range... plating was coming off. Parts places wanted about $30-40 per knob. I emailed the company and asked about replacements, and they shipped me a full set - for free.
I'll look into that. But the stove top came with the house and I have no idea when it was purchased, or when.

Yes just spent $43 a piece for a couple of range knobs…

I'll look into that. But the stove top came with the house and I have no idea when it was purchased, or when.
I contacted the company. They list the knobs for $53 each. Except that they are out of stock and don't think they will be getting any more in due to the age of the stove (around 10 years). I wonder if they think I will buy another Electrolux stove for around $2,500 because I can't find a knob?

I think a Sharpie solution might be in order. Or possibly some stick-on numbers.

Of course, you’ll need a sign-off from a certified appliance technician who has an appliance inspection authorization.
That's the backup plan.

Damn that’s highway robbery… there’s no “non-certified” version of knobs available at half the cost?

Chuck: You think that's expensive, try some of the stuff for older radio restorations.... A replica knob for the antenna reel for one of my airplanes is about 35$. An original is unobtainium.

Same thing with a freezer light. Fridgidaire wanted $70 something for one. It was LED.

I think a Sharpie solution might be in order. Or possibly some stick-on numbers.

Yeah, I think a P-touch printer would do a decent job. There may or may not be P-touch labels on the panel of my certificated aircraft.

I've found Ebay to be a pretty good resource for these dang appliances. Find the overpriced part number on the other site, then straight to Ebay I go.

If the numbers are stamped, take a paint pen and color over the numbers then wipe the paint off with your finger before it dries completely. Paint will stay inside the stamp but wipe off the smooth part. It's how I keep the sizes on the side of my sockets readable. :)

Damn that’s highway robbery… there’s no “non-certified” version of knobs available at half the cost?

Has to be an EAB stove, placarded as such.

Stand by for the Vans CD (Cooking Device) -01…coming soon in quick build with the oven assembled…

If the numbers are stamped, take a paint pen and color over the numbers then wipe the paint off with your finger before it dries completely. Paint will stay inside the stamp but wipe off the smooth part. It's how I keep the sizes on the side of my sockets readable. :)
Unfortunately, the numbers are flush, as if painted on. I was hoping they would be raised or indented, but no.

I would use a Dremel or file to cut tic marks in the knob and fill them with paint as described. I can count. :D

If you can tell what time this is, just paint them black and call it good.
51WEU7PPTDL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Back