And I thought the last time I rented in Hawaii was expensive...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
We're staying in Maui for a week and were looking at excursions. There's an outfit here that advertises to non-pilots various options in an SR22 where you learn to take off and land (yeah, right), as well as visit key sights. The most inclusive, and expensive, runs all day. Maui to HNL. Get picked up there, go to Pearl Harbor, back to the plane, take off. Go down the see the lava running into the sea on the SE side of the big island. I don't recall what else, because I quit listening to the pitch when the price was mentioned - 4AMU. Yeah, I'd like to get some time in an SR22, but this makes the last time I rented here (9 years ago - $200/hr dual in a 172) look cheap.

Just to keep things in perspective. :D

Pardon my internet slang ignorance, but how mucho American dollar is 4AMU? :confused:

4AMU = 4 Aeronautical Monitary Units = $4000

And, that was for the day, not per hour. Thank goodness for small favors. :D

Whew! I'm out! Just rent one, cheaper?

4AMU = 4 Aeronautical Monitary Units = $4000

And, that was for the day, not per hour. Thank goodness for small favors. :D

Well if you have the endurance 24 hours / $4000 (hopefully wet) = $166.67 an hour. :D

I guess tourists have money to burn right?:eek:

Last time I was there (HNL) went by a car lot with rentals. Had a couple of Ferraris (RED ones, not white lol) for $950/24 hours and other sporty cars. Wife said f-it, do it....glad I didn't. Rented a Sebring convert instead. Good enough to drive around Oahu.

Last edited:
Rentals on Maui and Big Island are more expensive than HNL. You try calling these guys up?

http://www.mauiaviators.com/

Not this trip. I flew with them 12 years ago, the last time we stayed on Maui. Great folks then, I'm sure they are today. And a darned sight less expensive than the tour in the SR22. Still more than I'm going to spend this trip.

I rented an Archer from Maui Aviators back in 1999. I don't think the price was too bad back then. The checkout was pretty short and then I rented for a couple of hours. Flew from Maui over to the Big Island, all the way around and then landed at Kona for lunch. Then flew back to Maui. Got some good pics.

My method is just to look out the window as one airliners in. That's the extent of the airborne tour.
I'm down with that. Last time I was there (many moons ago) I flew Aloha. They served a heated chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk before landing. :D

For the record, the top half of the fuselage did stay in place!

Back