Ancient checkride maneuvers

I semi-intentionally trained in an airplane without RNAV capabilities so I didn't have to do them on my exam.

Mine included an instrument departure after 200agl from a tiny airstrip with mountains. Intercept an airway and fly a VOR approach and missed.

Vectors to the approach, partial panel localizer to circling minimums, circle, land, departure procedure, hold.

Then "ATC" went and got a cup of coffee while I was holding and waiting to be cleared for the approach. I went through all my lost comms practice while the examiner just sat there and grinned. I turned inbound on the DME arc for the approach then "ATC" got back to the radio and cleared me for the approach I already started.

Full ILS to a landing. Took off, steep turns and unusual attitudes, VFR flight back to the tiny airport.

I think that is the approximate flow of the exam I got.

This was 2015.

I remember the training was brutal... Not the ride, but in training we did stuff like NDB/VOR intersection holds (NOT straight in), and NDB approaches usining only the needle and mag compass.

So, if you fly in Georgia, you might get one. If you fly in central California (or pretty much anywhere else outside Alaska), you won't.

So you've checked all the states eh and know there's some in Alaska and the one I pointed out in Georgia? :rolleyes:

Sorry I corrected your false statement man. :D

Doolittle did my checkride right after Sperry trained me on his brand new gyrostabilizer.
The test was in actual; clouds were around 300' with blowing snow. They had just installed the first of the new Adcock LF ranges so we weren't just follow the river on this one, had to do the newfangled let-down 'on the beam', timing from the cone of silence to the missed, (there were no Z markers yet). All the altitudes and times were in a little black book he had.
Finally, he said look up, and there were the rows of flare pots - so I knew I passed! Anyway, it was such a treat when they came out with NDB approaches a few years later, imagine: a needle that pointed right to the station!

Yeah but I was in the right seat when we did the first blind flight, seriously. :D
History always fails to mention I was there too, also blinded.

So you've checked all the states eh and know there's some in Alaska and the one I pointed out in Georgia? :rolleyes:

Sorry I corrected your false statement man. :D
You didn't demonstrate it as wrong. For that, you would have to find someone who got an NDB approach on a checkride outside of Georgia or Alaska. And you need to figure out what "pretty much" means. There are NOT MANY NDB approaches left. Finding a couple still remaining is perfectly consistent with that.

Always with the 'in denial' and 'won't admit I'm wrong' responses. :rolleyes:

Always with the 'in denial' and 'won't admit I'm wrong' responses. :rolleyes:
Always without the ability to admit you might have misread something and focused on an irrelevant tangent.

NDB approaches are NOT common in the lower 48. You are not capable of disproving that observation with a single example.

Just like back courses are not common, but I can give you a couple of examples, and they are not likely on a modern checkride.

Got any other irrelevant tangents? Hint: it's a good idea to read the thread title and first post.

Tangents, rich. Nah you can continue your irrelevant and know it all opinions.

Last edited:
A detailed hold clearance not charted on enroute charts or approach plates. He does that so you can't use the GPS (outside of OBS mode) to do it for you. GTN650s will plot hold entries as part of an approach, but not otherwise.

So, if you fly in Georgia, you might get one. If you fly in central California (or pretty much anywhere else outside Alaska), you won't.

We have a bunch here in WA. My IFR checkride (2014) as well as my latest IFR flight ended with NDB 35 in to TIW via the Gray NDB.

This was a fun one during training. NDB-A to KKLS in Washington.

Attachments

• 05638NA[1].PDF
    195.6 KB · Views: 6
Mine was an ILS, go missed and do the published hold 9 DME out(vor on field), go out and do unusual attitudes, come back and do a GPS approach, missed, vectors for a VOR appoach partial panel with a circle to land.

My airplane is not equipped with an ADF:)

Lets see, back in 1975.
No DME, No Rnav, No flip flop radios, No headsets. Everything of of cross radials and bearings off of NDB's.
It was a hot windy day winds about 25KTS at altitude. LOC/BC to a miss with a hold.
Partial panel VOR to a miss.
Various maneuvers steep turns ETC.
Then an NDB to circle to land to finish up.
The funny thing was the airport I did the NDB approach to didn't have one.
Prior to the flight the examiner told me to take out a blank sheet of paper and draw out what he described.
It was the NDB approach. I told him him it wasn't legal and all he said was "Correct but trust me on this one", it's flown off the radio station in town and works great!! I have always wondered how he knew that "snicker".
So I flew it and passed.

This person is now in the Minnesota Aviation Hall of Fame.

It was a great learning experience

Copter GPS rwy 29 at 79J. Holding at EDN VOR followed by the VOR rwy 5 (busted admin MDA :eek:). ILS rwy 6 at OZR.

Back