Anchorage, AK impressions/ramblings

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
OK, so I went to Anchorage for work last week. This was my first time in Alaska. I really like the great outdoors and it seemed like a place I could live fo a while. Its a HUGE state with very little population. Anchorage weather was relatively moderate with temps in the 40's F each day. The sun would peak out in the afternnoons and warm up the temps so it was actually comfortable to walk around with a jacket. We did the drive to Seward, which was beautiful. I'm used to seeing mountains, but not mountains next to the ocean. Pretty cool. Seward was pretty dead, but still interesting and the drive was close to two hours each way from Anchorage. The nice thing about this time of year is that it doesn't get dark until about 9:30 PM, so you have a lot of daylight to explore.

Of course the highlight for me was visiting Lake Hood and the seaplane base there. I got to see a lot of planes take off and land on skis as the lake is still frozen. Everyone flies in Alaska. Its the only way to get somewhere, as the state is large with lots of mountains which makes driving ineffecient. Therefore, when people find out you're a pilot and fly little airplanes, they don't look at you like you have three heads. Floatplanes are everywhere. I especially liked all the DeHavilland Beavers on floats. Its ashame they are SO expensive.

I ate a lot of Halibut, Salmon a King crab. Wonderful seafood and I especially liked a little place in Anchorage called "Humpy's". Seemed like a local's hangout with 43 beers on tap and great food.

My dream is to go back and take a floatplane up to a remote lodge and do some fishing and exploring. It really is a beautiful place and worth several visits. I highly recommend AK! I bought a book while there, "Flying the Alaska Wild" by Mort Mason. So far, my impression is the bush pilots are nuts. :)

Last edited:
Anchorage is flat out the favorite place I've ever lived. Could have cried when I got orders out.

Tony:

Sounds like a great trip, glad you got some time to see the sights. I loved to visit ANC as well. One of the best memories was sitting on the roof of the Hilton, drinking beers and watching the aurora - fantastic.

Maybe next trip up you will get to rent and fly around some. It is a big place!

Any good pictures?

Gary

Gary said:
Tony:

One of the best memories was sitting on the roof of the Hilton, drinking beers and watching the aurora - fantastic.

We (my wife came with me on this one) stayed at the Hilton also and went up to the rooftop restauratn/bar. No aurora though.

Maybe next trip up you will get to rent and fly around some. It is a big place!

Any good pictures?

We want to go back when its a bit warmer. I'll have to find out the best time to go. It would be great to get a seaplane endorsement at Lake Hood. My wife is the photographer, but she is still in the stone age using "film". I'll scan them once we get the film developed. She did get some good floatplane pics. :yes:

Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't been to Alaska since I worked for the Navy in the late 1970s. Beautiful country up there.

Weather's a bit different here (San Jose del Cabo, BCS, Mexico). Warm (pushing 90), low humidity, high overcast. Don't know where this wireless connection is located, but I'll take free internet access. :D

Anthony said:
We want to go back when its a bit warmer. I'll have to find out the best time to go. It would be great to get a seaplane endorsement at Lake Hood. My wife is the photographer, but she is still in the stone age using "film". I'll scan them once we get the film developed. She did get some good floatplane pics. :yes:

IMHO late August/early September - especially if you are heading north from Anchorage. Colors are changing in the trees and on the tundra and less tourists cramming the roadways.

alaskaflyer said:
IMHO late August/early September - especially if you are heading north from Anchorage. Colors are changing in the trees and on the tundra and less tourists cramming the roadways.

That sounds perfect. Thanks Richard. :)

How's May before the tourists arrive? Still doing the break-up thing?

Hey Anthony shame you didn't get up to ANWR and do a little drilling. Prices are getting steep here.

Anthony said:
That sounds perfect. Thanks Richard. :)

How's May before the tourists arrive? Still doing the break-up thing?

By mid May it would be OK, even up here in the mountains, though potential for snow still. In Anchorage I would imagine it would be quite pleasant, maybe Kathy can chime in.

I have had the rare privilege of doing field work all over the state in some of the most remote bush. I've probably spent a cumulative total of 6 months or more in Alaska, and not all in the summer (I once went to Fairbanks in January--on vacation--on purpose). I've even done some flying there, courtesy of a couple of bush pilot friends who let my fly their airplanes (a C185 on floats, a Supercub, a C206, a C207), including crossing the Brooks Range at Anaktuvuk Pass, and I got my seaplane rating in a 1946 Taylorcraft on floats on the Chena River in Fairbanks. Heaven!!!

I love Alaska, but I have to be honest--I'm not sure I could live there year round. But it keeps drawing me back and back. This summer, I'm going to fly myself up there for work, and fly around visiting friends, including friend who are working out of various random bush strips. I can't wait.

Judy

There is actually 3 good weather weeks in Ak, the three weeks after brakeup, before the Mosquitoes hatch.

Did anyoe notice the major internet service provider in Fairbanks is Mosquitoes.net?

cracked me up.

NC19143 said:
There is actually 3 good weather weeks in Ak, the three weeks after brakeup, before the Mosquitoes hatch.

What is the deal with the little black flies too. Man! I was never attacked by so many flying things than when I ventured into the woods of Alaska.

smigaldi said:
What is the deal with the little black flies too. Man! I was never attacked by so many flying things than when I ventured into the woods of Alaska.

I had a T-Shirt that read: "Black flies don't bite, they s uck".

Wow. Is there anytime or anyplace in AK where there are no misquitos or black flies in the summer?

Anthony said:
Wow. Is there anytime or anyplace in AK where there are no misquitos or black flies in the summer?

Out on the water the flies are virtually nonexistant. That is as long as you are far enough from shore.

Anthony said:

Late August/September - in central AK here they are all gone, but it is still warm during the day (getting cool at night though.). Why I suggest people visit then.

alaskaflyer said:
Late August/September - in central AK here they are all gone, but it is still warm during the day (getting cool at night though.). Why I suggest people visit then.

So I guess what you're saying is that its cold and dark October through April, then the mosquitos and black flies come out until late August/early Septmenber, then it gets cold an dark again. Right? :(

alaskaflyer said:

My last trip there was in coastal AK in August and I got nailed by them flies. Maybe that was because that trip I was down by Juneau and it was warmer than up Anchorange way

Back