Analysis paralysis when looking for a plane to buy

Offer him, $100K, maybe settle at $110. This plane a year ago would of been $85-90K before the run up which is crazy. You’ll be upside down in this plane at the asking price. Seller not serious, gone fishing. Of course, maybe I am just cheap. But I know personally of a 78 Tiger, 1500 hr SMOH engine, Sensinich prop, no WAAS GPS, old KNS 80, original paint, 8 year old cloth interior that sold for $85K in August. Add in $25K of avionics, and you are at $110K with the latest G5,s and GFC 500.

I was thinking $60K would have been the 2019 price of that plane, so doubling of the price.

With boats brokers can look up actual selling prices, I assume airplane brokers can do the same. I’m sure many of these asking prices are just that.
I saw a Mooney that was similarly priced, was for sale for a year, they dropped the price and it was gone.

I was thinking $60K would have been the 2019 price of that plane, so doubling of the price.

With boats brokers can look up actual selling prices, I assume airplane brokers can do the same. I’m sure many of these asking prices are just that.
I saw a Mooney that was similarly priced, was for sale for a year, they dropped the price and it was gone.

You can look it up but you will likely learn that every airplane only sold for $1.00.
My former airplane was bought and sold for 1 dollar about 8 times in its life.

I’m convinced the 182 prices are inflated because all the old guys (over about 72) flying Comanches and Bonanzas are getting hit with crazy insurance prices and they are all downsizing to the non-retract 182’s driving the demand up and prices accordingly.

You do know if that is truly the case - then the 182 will continue to hold those values since the group of pilots that will be aging out over the next 20 years is going to continue and be significant. . so if those numbers are going to be moving to the 182, then it isnt the 182 that will be "inflated" as that demographic will have a hefty base to support it.

I'm finding myself in a similar analysis paralysis.... trying to "will" retirement to come sooner and day dreaming about either building a kit or buying something.... mostly looping around to either building to get more bang for the buck + give me something to do.... but which model....RV-14, RV-12, something else....and even though I'm handy and like tinkering, do I really want to build? Maybe a little Champ or cub variant would be better.... an endless thought loop!

You do know if that is truly the case - then the 182 will continue to hold those values since the group of pilots that will be aging out over the next 20 years is going to continue and be significant. . so if those numbers are going to be moving to the 182, then it isnt the 182 that will be "inflated" as that demographic will have a hefty base to support it.

two doors / headroom is easily worth 30k to me

I'm finding myself in a similar analysis paralysis.... trying to "will" retirement to come sooner and day dreaming about either building a kit or buying something.... mostly looping around to either building to get more bang for the buck + give me something to do.... but which model....RV-14, RV-12, something else....and even though I'm handy and like tinkering, do I really want to build? Maybe a little Champ or cub variant would be better.... an endless thought loop!
If I could not have found myself a good partnership with the Arrow and my mission would fit, building an RV-14 would ring a lot of bells.

"What about the unknown Cardinal? 2 doors, high wing, easiest entry, FI, faster than a 172. This unknown plane has to be a bargain, right? Back to TAP. Cue screaming and wailing again."

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the money. :)

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the money. :)
That's a quote from the OP. It does appear there are a few under the 100k limit...but look like they need some tlc inside

Back