ANA is nastay

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
IMG_5548.jpeg

ANA is nastay, disappointing. Terrible service, food is old and not fresh. They act like they are giving you a service and nope. Never again.

I've never flown up front so don't know what to expect there. But flying in cattle class, I far prefer ANA vs. United if I'm flying nonstop to Tokyo. Better food, better service, and you're less likely to have issues with rude strangers while stuck in a plane for 13 hours with Japanese travelers vs. Americans.

No idea what the disappointment is that you're trying to illustrate with your photo. For someone who only ever gets to fly coach, that looks like heaven.

All Nippon Airways.

That being said, I've only flown business class on them and it was pretty nice at the time. I should have taken the cue that the other Japanese in Business class were ordering the "American" dinner entree, but the Japanese wasn't bad.

Bet the wine was hot, too.
The better sakes are served cold. I ordered sake with the cocktail service because I really hadn't tried it much (other than whatever our local Sushi place serves by default). The flight attendant insisted when my dinner came that I try a different one (the one on the cocktail service wasn't as premium as the one they serve with the dinner).

It has been many years since I flew Business Class on ANA (or on ANA at all). But it was quite nice.

Recently to the Far East, most of my flights have been on KAL. Even coach is not too bad as the are 3-3-3 on a 777, with about 4 - 5 extra inches of seat pitch. But Business is even better.

I have not had a bad experince in Business. Even the US carriers do a pretty good job. Some of the others do an AMAZING job.

Bad news is I have some serious back issues. Good news is that I travel Business Class on any flight for work that is over 6 hours. :D

I guess I just like new stuff and ANA is probably in the midst of upgrading their aircraft (this one was old) but even like CX they are also getting old / worn.

We got to the airport probably 3.5 hours early only to have ground staff shouting that everyone is too early, move back so we can set up, but don’t move back towards the door, just a circus. I doubt it’s the first time they’ve set up the queues. The premium security line seems longer than the normal line, TSA is shouting and saying that the regular line is sending people over to the premium line because there’s too many people at the regular line. You paid for a premium ticket / line to be placed behind a Karen with 4 kids and 2 strollers whom came from the normal line. :rolleyes:

TSA opened (that’s fine) and broke one of our built in TSA locks on a suitcase as well (not the first time it’s happened either), I mean that’s not cool and it’s annoying… TSA left their standard note inside that basically says hey we can legally mess up your luggage and help ourselves to whatever of your belongings we wish to keep, Christmas is coming soon and you didn’t leave a tip so I’ll help myself. (Not saying anything is missing but it feels like that is their attitude)

A positive note was the included United Polaris lounge with an ANA flight, I promptly made my way there and add my name to the restaurant waiting list. The lounge is always at capacity and quite busy but you can always find a place to sit. The staff at the restaurant use their scare tactics telling you the queue is 60-90 minutes (and it usually ends up being 30 minutes at most). I observe how many customers they scared away by mentioning a 75-90 minute wait. So if you fly international business with United do arrive early if you want to use the lounge.

I just don’t feel that the value of the flight was worth it, given the airport experience and soft passive service on board, and after New Orleans amazing food, I guess I’m wondering what plastics we are eating on board lol.

I guess the FBO’s spoil me too much :) I mean when you arrive at an airport and they ask you if they can take your luggages and walk your dogs for you and if they can make you a sandwich to go for your flight home, the only issue there is the frequent billing math errors but besides that GA is a dream.

I spent 6 hours on Southwest's sardine cans yesterday. If this isn't sarcasm, then we are now enemies -- once feeling returns to my ass. :)
You have that beautiful multi! Someone punished you for something…

I've never flown up front so don't know what to expect there. But flying in cattle class, I far prefer ANA vs. United if I'm flying nonstop to Tokyo. Better food, better service, and you're less likely to have issues with rude strangers while stuck in a plane for 13 hours with Japanese travelers vs. Americans.

No idea what the disappointment is that you're trying to illustrate with your photo. For someone who only ever gets to fly coach, that looks like heaven.
This is true, I don’t like to have a seat next to me because I always have bad luck and get seated next to someone who is twice my size and occupying a third of my seat and one of my shoulders. Like how is this even legal? Next time I’m in this situation I’ll ask to deboard.

I still remember when the flight attendants aggressively told me to “control my drunk friend”, someone I’ve never met before, and the flight attendants cut me off on having any alcoholic drinks (I was sober) because of “my friend”. I haven’t flown long haul economy after that experience. This was on AA.

You have that beautiful multi! Someone punished you for something…

It's a nice tool for many jobs, but not for running up to Montana, ferrying a G36TN to Florida, then getting back to Oakland. Delta did fine enough first class to MT (a $150 upcharge, love the little E175 single seats), but the options to escape Tampa were poor or wayyyy overpriced (+$1,500 and up) In hindsight, I might have rummaged the couch cushions a little harder. :D

The insult of the barely-air-conditioned walmart nation 737 MAX8 experience is too fresh for me to take these ANA remarks sublimely :)

Going to Asia, EVERYTHING is better than United. I like ANA, Asiana, and KAL. I love Singapore.

We got to the airport probably 3.5 hours early only to have ground staff shouting that everyone is too early, move back so we can set up, but don’t move back towards the door, just a circus. I doubt it’s the first time they’ve set up the queues. The premium security line seems longer than the normal line, TSA is shouting and saying that the regular line is sending people over to the premium line because there’s too many people at the regular line. You paid for a premium ticket / line to be placed behind a Karen with 4 kids and 2 strollers whom came from the normal line. :rolleyes:

TSA opened (that’s fine) and broke one of our built in TSA locks on a suitcase as well (not the first time it’s happened either), I mean that’s not cool and it’s annoying… TSA left their standard note inside that basically says hey we can legally mess up your luggage and help ourselves to whatever of your belongings we wish to keep, Christmas is coming soon and you didn’t leave a tip so I’ll help myself. (Not saying anything is missing but it feels like that is their attitude)
What's any of that got to do with ANA, though??

What's any of that got to do with ANA, though??
Airport experience is also important, and when the airline doesn’t have a presence at the airport (like they rent 3 booths on a part time basis), it kind of feels very discounty.

Have you tried Emirates? When you fly business with them they send a vehicle to pick you up and drop you off from/to your hotel/home.

Airport experience is also important, and when the airline doesn’t have a presence at the airport (like they rent 3 booths on a part time basis), it kind of feels very discounty.

Have you tried Emirates? When you fly business with them they send a vehicle to pick you up and drop you off from/to your hotel/home.
Um, no. You and I live very different lives. I don't live in a world where airlines pick me up from my home. I also don't fly out of airports where the airlines are responsible for how TSA runs the security lines.

I have a feeling my entire life would "kind of feel very discounty" to you. At least every experience I've ever had flying commercial certainly would.

expand...
This is true, I don’t like to have a seat next to me because I always have bad luck and get seated next to someone who is twice my size and occupying a third of my seat and one of my shoulders. Like how is this even legal? Next time I’m in this situation I’ll ask to deboard.

I don't enjoy flying commercial for this reason. But because I am the large guy. Is it my fault I am 6'2" and have wide shoulders? I'm not huge, but the standard seats these days just don't fit me at all. Luckily my wife is 5' 0 and can sit next to me on vacation. But business travel always gives me concern for those next to me. I'm a nice guy, just larger than most. Those 13 hour flights to S. Korea were best on Korea air A380s than the 747s I went on the first couple of trips via AA. No business class for this guy yet, that looks amazing.

Ah sorry didn’t mean to drift into any negative vibes, just ranting. Rant completed. :cheers:

Back in the 2nd half of the 1990s Intel routinely bought us business class seats on trans-Pacific flights. That went away during the market decline in 2000 as a cost savings measure, one we never got back. Trans-Atlantic flights were always coach. Business class seats were only slightly more expensive than coach on trans-pac flights, they were always grossly more expensive than coach on trans-Atlantic flights. So, back in the day I rode Singapore (the best) and Japan Airlines in business class. along with UA and Northwest Airlines (yes, that was before they were bought by Delta). Virtually all my trans-pac flights have been on UA since 2000.

I greatly prefer PDX over SEA as a departure point. PDX is far more civilized, including TSA, than SEA. Parking is less expensive, as well.

FYI, just flew Qatar in Business Class. AWESOME. You have a large space with a closing door. They even supply a lounging outift that you can keep.

For the price, try Zipair to Tokyo. Haven't flown them yet but headed out Thanksgiving weekend for one last Asia trip this year (over 100 days in Asia this year)

Best airplane? Starlux to TPE. Great hard and soft service. Reminds me of Singapore and Cathay of old.

Cathay is almost unrecognizable these days. Horrible.

I flew Singapore a couple of times during Covid, and while I was one of only two or three up front, service was lacking.

Just did an IAH to TPE to IAH on EVA. Meh. Won't do that again.

At my age, I ain't flying in the back.

FYI, just flew Qatar in Business Class. AWESOME. You have a large space with a closing door. They even supply a lounging outift that you can keep.
Most Asian airlines provide slippers and pajamas.

I greatly prefer PDX over SEA as a departure point. PDX is far more civilized, including TSA, than SEA. Parking is less expensive, as well.
I agree. SEA is still no bargain.

For the price, try Zipair to Tokyo. Haven't flown them yet but headed out Thanksgiving weekend for one last Asia trip this year (over 100 days in Asia this year)

Best airplane? Starlux to TPE. Great hard and soft service. Reminds me of Singapore and Cathay of old.

Cathay is almost unrecognizable these days. Horrible.

I flew Singapore a couple of times during Covid, and while I was one of only two or three up front, service was lacking.

Just did an IAH to TPE to IAH on EVA. Meh. Won't do that again.

At my age, I ain't flying in the back.

Interesting about Singapore and EVA. It's been decades since I rode either of them and business class on both was great. I only rode Cathay in coach and it wasn't bad at all. But, that also was a couple decades ago.

I never had the pleasure of flying Qatar business class while working, and now that I'm retired it's unlikely I will have the opportunity to do so.

At my first job requiring international travel, the company policy was that you could fly business class to Europe. The divisional policy was no, no you can't. I made a lot of trips to Europe flying coach. Ditto at my next job. Finally at my last job I was able to experience the joys of international business class. United and KLM were pretty good. Singapore Air was exceptional.

Interesting about Singapore and EVA. It's been decades since I rode either of them and business class on both was great. I only rode Cathay in coach and it wasn't bad at all. But, that also was a couple decades ago.
EVA's soft service wasn't terrible. But for $6,000 I don't expect a worn out business class seat.

My job for the past 22 years has been with a good bit of international travel. Only visited 154 countries so far. :D

For a while we got business class for long flights, then that stopped. But now I get it for any flight over 6 hours due to back issues.

Million Miler on one airline, 35K short of 2 Million on another

Haven't done BC on Singapore, but have on United, Delta, American, Continental, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, ANA, KAL, Ethiopian, South African, China Southern, Kenya, British Airways, New Zealand, Iberia, Air Mali, Burkina Faso Air, Turkish, and a few others.

Flown over 120 different airlines.

We live in different worlds; $6k for an airline ticket?
And you want to see expensive. If I flew direct on AA

My next trip will be DFW-SJC-NRT-NGB and take 30 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.png
    IMG_0035.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 14
I feel like there's a substantial difference in expectations if you pay your own cash to buy 1st/biz class travel versus getting it with credit card miles or an employer buying it.

If I paid 14.2k$ for that Asia ticket above (~19% of the median real gross US income in 2022), I'd probably be disappointed if American Airlines didn't throw an extravagant parade in my honor as I boarded the plane -- complete with red carpet, celebratory horns and trumpets and flower petals thrown at my feet. But that's just b/c I can come up with about 10-20 million other ways to spend $14k that don't involve a single plane flight.

If I paid with miles or my employer is covering it (which is realistically how 95% of any 1st/biz travel is for me), I'm just ecstatic and grateful to be at the front of the plane getting lit up on unlimited drinks :) .

I own the company. Therefore it's my money. So I fly out on a weekend and takes about 30-36 hours to get to my destination and I save a bunch of money but still fly in the front

My wife works for a huge multinational. She books outrageous fares last minute that I would fire people over

If you have to go on short notice, you have to pay the price. If the price is an issue, plan ahead or show up later. But sometimes, you need to be there now, and that costs.

If you are paying, most times you can book ahead and adjust travel days to hit lower prices.

And you want to see expensive. If I flew direct on AA

My next trip will be DFW-SJC-NRT-NGB and take 30 hours.

I understand the need for this; my daughter travels all over the country, 3-4 times a week, usually 1st class. Just me, I could never justify it. Heck, the cost of ten of those trips would buy a descent airplane!

That’s what it costs, I guess expectations for this are higher than what’s delivered. Now if your company is paying you might not care, but when it comes from your pocketbook you might expect more.

If you have to go on short notice, you have to pay the price. If the price is an issue, plan ahead or show up later. But sometimes, you need to be there now, and that costs.

If you are paying, most times you can book ahead and adjust travel days to hit lower prices.
J and F prices are pretty stable, whether booking in advance or last minute.

I'd probably be disappointed if American Airlines didn't throw an extravagant parade in my honor as I boarded the plane -- complete with red carpet, celebratory horns and trumpets and flower petals thrown at my feet. But that's just b/c I can come up with about 10-20 million other ways to spend $14k that don't involve a single plane flight.
:yeahthat:

Back