an RV at OSH for the first time

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hi. I too have some follow-up Qs on this topic as I too am a RV first-timer (24 ft) and will arrive on Saturday late afternoon. So......

- I don't want to get tired of making hamburgers every night, so what other creative foods can I bring to put on the Smokey Joe that will satisfy the taste buds?
- How many hours does one have to wait in line to check-in on a late Saturday afternoon?
- Will I still be able to get a good spot (i.e. close enough to walk to the entrance) if I arrive as planned.
- How DO you flag down the honey bucket if you are at Air Venture all day / is the implication that the bucket comes by after the airshow?
- How good is the WiFi reception in the campground?

Thanks to all. Alan

Last edited:
Ahh that kind of RV...

Hi. I too have some follow-up Qs on this topic as I too am a RV first-timer (24 ft) and will arrive on Saturday late afternoon. So......

- I don't want to get tired of making hamburgers every night, so what other creative foods can I bring to put on the Smokey Joe that will satisfy the taste buds?
- How many hours does one have to wait in line to check-in on a late Saturday afternoon?
- Will I still be able to get a good spot (i.e. close enough to walk to the entrance) is I arrive as planned.
- How DO you flag down the honey bucket if you are at Air Venture all day / is the implication that the bucket comes by after the airshow?

Thanks to all. Alan
Assuming your RV has a stove, food is up to your imagination. We typically have everything from Brats/Burgers, Steaks, Mexican, Spaghetti, on up!
The check in wait is highly variable, but mostly seems to run pretty smooth.
With a Saturday afternoon arrival, you'll probably end up out near the west camp store--spots closer in tend to go away days earlier, but it's worth a drive through the camp to take a look.
Never used the honey bucket service, so no help.........
The WiFi reception is highly dependent on how close you are to a hotspot. Even when its a strong signal, high use can make it very slow or hard to get onto.
None of that really matters once you get immersed in the show and get to know the new friends you'll find camped all around you! :)

There is (or used to be) a Piggly Wiggly market across the road from the North 40 that made their own in-house sausages. They were to die for. Don't know if they still do or if the store is even still there.

Jim

Per the smokey Joe

Chicken,either seasoned or bbq sauce
Country cut pork ribs (tasty!)
Brats
Steaks
Burgers/patty melts

If I'm lazy canned stew, or chilli

I even have a stovetop pizza recipe

Part of the fun of camping IMHO

Welcome to
Mark & Susie's
Piggly Wiggly!
We are open 6am to 10pm daily
525 E. Murdock Street
Oshkosh, WI 54901
920-236-7801

I called the PW and they suggested pre-ordering whatever you'd like; the person who answered the phone said that they make great brats.

Unfortunately, that one is WAY on the other side of the University (UWO) on the northeast side of town. That pretty much qualifies as a cross-country.

THe one I was looking for was somewhere around Knapp and 19th, which is a pretty easy walk from the North 40. As I recall, there was a Wal-Mart and some other shops in a little mini-mall in this same area. Just on the other side of La Sure's Bakery.

Jim

The one you're thinking about Jim has been gone a while now. That whole center kind of went bust when PW pulled out and Walmart moved up to bigger digs up Hwy 41.

Last edited:
The one you're thinking about Jim has been gone a while now. That whole center kind of went bust when PW pulled out and Walmart moved up to bigger digs up Hwy 41.

Damn. Are there any food stores within walking distance of the North 40?

Jim

This year we are going to Maine, next year to Ireland, so maybe we can plan for Osh for 2017. Waiting for some friends up north to get their RV though. Hurry up guys!!!!! They know who they are.

How many hours does one have to wait in line to check-in on a late Saturday afternoon?
It really depends but we usually arrived around 2pm on Saturday and the wait was always well less than an hour. If you have two people in the RV, one stays in line and keeps moving forward while the other person goes over to the registration building and gets all the camping credentials.

- Will I still be able to get a good spot (i.e. close enough to walk to the entrance) if I arrive as planned.
Does it really matter? You will be doing so much walking all week the extra 5 or 10 minute walk from the gate won't really make that much of a difference no matter where you are in scholler. There will always be spaces so finding a place to park won't be an issue.

I don't remember the exact procedure but I seem to recall going to one of the stores and paying ahead of time for it. They gave you a card to put on the windsheld of the RV and you told them the approximate location. They would come during the day and pump it out and top off the fresh water. You just had to have the underside door unlocked so they could get to the fill and dump valves. You do not have to be there when they come.

I have never gotten wi-fi to work in the campground. It has always been very spotty and slow. I just used cellular data and that seemed to work fine. They have some wi-fi huts you can go over to and get good reception if you really need to dial in to work or something.

Back