An interesting way to look at electric vehicle efficiency

What they show planned just north of Dallas now to get wind power to the area from west Texas is estimated to cost over $1,000,000 per mile.

Best,

Dave
Yep, sounds about right. Priced a pipeline lately? It's even more expensive. The cost of making power is 1/2 the expense on your bill. The other 1/2 is transmission and distribution to get it to you. Of course, then there are taxes, but I won't go there...

I have found that English is the default language in many countries (both European (Scotland excluded) and Asian), especially with the younger generation.

On the subject of cars I have enjoyed driving in Europe (yes, even the UK). Higher speed limits, better fuel efficiency, comfortable cars, many with really nice diesels and manual transmissions are the default. Most of the time my fuel economy exceeds mid 30's MPG and performance is not bad at all.

I don't drive in China.

I agree on all points. I get by around the world in English. And I wouldn't ever think of driving in China. Riding in a taxi is frightening enough. :hairraise:

Without doing any math, it just makes sense to me that there are so many hidden costs with electric cars that we would be better off spending our effort on more efficient gas/diesels and figuring out how to drive less and walk more. The planners I work with are on a big kick right now in creating more walkable/bikeable communities. kind of like the old days with a court square, etc. This would work for me, especially if the airport is within easy walking distance!

Some wind turbines are being manufactured in China now. Expect more of that to happen. So much for American dollars in America.

Before I moved away from Iowa last year, I heard a blurb on the radio that Iowa had become the second highest producer of wind-generated energy (second behind Texas, I believe, which was nearly double what Iowa had going). Last summer, a wind turbine manufacturer had planted roots in central Iowa in a town where Maytag had recently pulled up stakes after outsourcing its production overseas. Is it enough to 'matter'? Dunno, only time will tell.

sarcasm aside i think iowa city to chicago is a pretty good route for a rail service.

I agree that it would probably be useful:
1.) During school breaks as students travel to/from Chicago and Iowa City
2.) A handful of family vacations to 'the city' from IA City

But I don't see it being worth the $250 million tax dollars to get it done. Isn't there already a train running from Mt. Pleasant to Chicago? How much is it actually used? It seems that if the business case was there, then there would already be a spur running from IA City to the existing railroad south of town.

But I don't see it being worth the $250 million tax dollars to get it done. Isn't there already a train running from Mt. Pleasant to Chicago? How much is it actually used? It seems that if the business case was there, then there would already be a spur running from IA City to the existing railroad south of town.

The problem with "business case" is the infrastructure costs. For many forms of transportation infrastructure, business has relied upon the government to undertake the "loss leading" part of the investment (roads, ports, airports, railway) with the private sector then using it (in exchange for taxes and fees). Rail is a bit different because of the nature of "right of way" rules and the semi-monopoly that they can have -- but it's not quite that simple IIRC. (the other Kent may prove me terribly wrong)

Power is different because the net infrastructure cost is a little less, and because during the large growth spurts the generator/distributor/retailer had a combined monopoly (not generally the case today).

Cheers,

-Andrew

250 mil in tax money really isn't that much and it would probably eventually pay off in ticket taxes etc. a spur from iowa city to mt pleasant and then switching trains to chicago would probably be a deal killer for many riders. it would probably end up taking so much time that it would be easier for mom and dad just to drive to iowa city and bring junior home.

seems to me that optimal rail routes do not connect every podunk town along a route but travel direct between cities which have enough demand to fill a train of people. this is the problem with trying to ride amtrak and especially greyhound anywhere. stops so many places (and in weird places like osceola, ia and newton, ks) that it takes forever to get anywhere you actually want to go.

Riding in a taxi is frightening enough. :hairraise:
There is always the rush to get to the front seat of the taxi where there is a seat belt that has not been disabled. :cornut: Those VW Santana's must be one tough car to take the abuse they do.

I will say that the maglev from Pudong to the airport is very nice.

A friend told me the two things to not miss in China are the Great Wall and your flight home and the Great wall is not Great enough to miss your flight. :wink2:

Back