An Interesting Observation...

At MAXINT, does INCR(POST_COUNT) fail with a #DIV/0 error and reset?
The post count is an unsigned INT(10). It will be awhile before Scott can max it out, and when he does, I'll either change to BIGINT or reset him to zero posts :)

Dense rubber??

You're like dense rubber, hhmmmm many things coming into focus now. :D:D
Ya got the idea... my heritage consist of German, Irish, and Blackfoot Indian. Ya know of any cowering wimps in those blood lines? :D

Ya got the idea... my heritage consist of German, Irish, and Blackfoot Indian. Ya know of any cowering wimps in those blood lines? :D

Actually I do.

Having missed being blown up by the IRA back in December of 1983 when I was walking to Harrod's to do a little shopping, I tend to consider the members of the IRA a bunch of cowering wimps and other words that I cannot use on here.

But I don't think that you have any relations to those Irish a------holes

As of this post, there are 5,022 registered members. There are almost 91 pages of members in the list. The start of zero-posts begins on page 51 in the list.

I was wondering how many never make any posts but continue to peruse the threads. That's perfectly Okay. But, I hope some don't hold back because they don't think they have anything to contribute. There's always something to learn from everyone.

Because I should be doing other things...

Where did you get 5,022? At the bottom of the main page it says 3,684 registered users. Then when you click "members list" the results say "x to x+30 of 2747". So, who knows how many there really are. ;)

Anyway, using what seems to be 30 results per page in the list, that means that...

611 members have 10 posts
341 members have 50 posts
258 members have over 100 posts
121 members have over 500 posts
75 members have over 1,000 posts
45 members have over 2,000 posts
11 members have over 5,000 posts
2 members have over 10,000 posts (you spin-zone cheaters!)

238 members have visited "Today"
324 have visited "Today" or "Yesterday"
480 have visited since Aug. 1
753 have visited since July 1
1142 have visited since April 1
1540 have visited since Jan. 1, 2008
1932 have visited in the last year.

Last edited:

Where did you get 5,022? At the bottom of the main page it says 3,684 registered users. Then when you click "members list" the results say "x to x+30 of 2747". So, who knows how many there really are. ;)

Anyway, using what seems to be 30 results per page in the list, that means that...

75 members have over 1,000 posts
45 members have over 2,000 posts
11 members have over 5,000 posts

238 members have visited "Today"
324 have visited "Today" or "Yesterday"
480 have visited since Aug. 1
753 have visited since July 1
1142 have visited since April 1
1540 have visited since Jan. 1, 2008
1932 have visited in the last year.

Actually, 3685 members. Not sure how many are 'verified'. Too lazy to figure that out.

76 users above 1000
46 users above 2000
11 users above 5000
2 users over 10000

I'm also too lazy to figure out the queries for the visited dates. Maybe someday.

Actually, 3685 members. Not sure how many are 'verified'. Too lazy to figure that out.

76 users above 1000
46 users above 2000
11 users above 5000
2 users over 10000

I'm also too lazy to figure out the queries for the visited dates. Maybe someday.

Well for what it's worth i have 957 (opps this one makes 958) maybe someday i'll have enough time to just sit at the puter and post .
BTW Ted your posts about your flying / lessons where actually very good reading ( and i really dont read a lot of posts,so keep on posting .
As far as friends go i cant remember who's signature say it but i do agree with it about those that Matter and those that Don't ( had to look it up it's RayK's sig.)

Dave G.

P.S. Jesse why does the Lowwing icon ( in the smiles box)show up sometime and not other time when i post?

Last edited:

I went by the the most recent user number at the time. I've since seen it steadily rise.

At least mine is legitimate cheating... I didn't do a bunch of those constant posts of one word each to make a single sentence.

Well, maybe a couple. :D

I went by the the most recent user number at the time. I've since seen it steadily rise.

Ah. I wonder why the large discrepancy between that number and the members list then?

At least mine is legitimate cheating... I didn't do a bunch of those constant posts of one word each to make a single sentence.

Well, maybe a couple. :D

So you're a cheat AND a liar! :rofl:

I am glad you brought that up Ted. Seems that a lot of people like to blame the SZ for all of the PoA's ills. But it simply is not the case. While SZ does create potentially a larger amount of the emotional issues here on PoA the non-SZ groups have also seen their share of flame wars and attacks. I remember the thread you are talking about and it got uglier than many a SZ thread.

This is probably a good opportunity to remind people that if you don't want posts from a specific forum, such as the Spin Zone in my case, to appear in your "New Posts" search, you can Opt out of them in your User Control Panel.

But now we're walking into a thread creep that is likely to get into exactly the kind of thread that is the reason I've stopped sharing most of my flying experiences.

I see mentions of many of your experiences still, but like some others, I miss reading your write-ups of your adventures. Don't let the judgement of some ruin good times for the rest of us.

No, I only lied about being a cheat. :D

Now, which movie did I sort of steal that line from? :)

Ocean's 11?

This is probably a good opportunity to remind people that if you don't want posts from a specific forum, such as the Spin Zone in my case, to appear in your "New Posts" search, you can Opt out of them in your User Control Panel.
You have to opt in now to even see the SZ. Or if you want in fighting you can watch a few of the threads in Hangar Talk which have been meaner and nastier than anything I have seen in the SZ in many months.

Yep!

That movie was good. The second, not so good. The third was great.

Yes, I think that Ocean's 13 was a public apology for making Ocean's 12. Come on, Julia Roberts playing Tess who was pretending to be Julia Roberts? I wonder what the writers were smoking when they dreamed that plot up.

The original Ocean's 11 with the Rat Pack was also pretty fun, though I haven't seen that in a really long time.

I will defend this principle of "good moral character" (required for one's ATP) to my own demise.
Dang, I wasted all that time and money taking the ATP written.

I see mentions of many of your experiences still, but like some others, I miss reading your write-ups of your adventures. Don't let the judgement of some ruin good times for the rest of us.

There are a large number of experiences that I outright don't share because I don't want to deal with the backlash I know I'll get from a particular few individuals on this board, regardless of what the content of the experience was. If it's anything beyond a very basic description that leaves out any of the real details that make the trip interesting and that others might enjoy or learn from, I hesitate to hit "Post".

What I do share tends to be a highly sanitized version of the experience. Not saying that the experiences are at all in violation of any rules (they aren't), but I make an effort to leave out anything that prompts the kinds of replies I've come to expect from certain individuals on this forum.

If I could single out these individuals and then block them from reading my posts, then you (the general you, including you PJ, but not including those who were blocked) would see an increase in the number of stories I'm willing to share again.

Over the years, I've found, if you post something and get ripped apart for it--you probably deserve it. If I have one person bite me in a thread I don't really care. If I have three or four people bite me--I reevaluate my position and generally come to the conclusion that they are right.

There was a time that I was a lot more afraid to post a flying experience for fear of someone ripping me a new one. It seems, that these days, I have pretty much the same views as they do and don't generally have a new story to tell that could be bad. I just don't do the stupid things I used to do.

There are a large number of experiences that I outright don't share because I don't want to deal with the backlash I know I'll get from a particular few individuals on this board, regardless of what the content of the experience was. If it's anything beyond a very basic description that leaves out any of the real details that make the trip interesting and that others might enjoy or learn from, I hesitate to hit "Post".

What I do share tends to be a highly sanitized version of the experience. Not saying that the experiences are at all in violation of any rules (they aren't), but I make an effort to leave out anything that prompts the kinds of replies I've come to expect from certain individuals on this forum.

If I could single out these individuals and then block them from reading my posts, then you (the general you, including you PJ, but not including those who were blocked) would see an increase in the number of stories I'm willing to share again.

Over the years, I've found, if you post something and get ripped apart for it--you probably deserve it. If I have one person bite me in a thread I don't really care. If I have three or four people bite me--I reevaluate my position and generally come to the conclusion that they are right.

There was a time that I was a lot more afraid to post a flying experience for fear of someone ripping me a new one. It seems, that these days, I have pretty much the same views as they do and don't generally have a new story to tell that could be bad. I just don't do the stupid things I used to do.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this board with the red board? That is precisely why I'm here, and in the year that I've been here, I don't think I've seen anyone ripped apart for a flying-related experience / question / issue. Well, I take that back - I've seen an anonymous poster who seemed to want absolution and approval for illegal drug use - but that was it. This board is full of the most informative, helpful, and friendly people that I've experienced in aviation, and from an aviation standpoint I look at PoA as an oasis in a land full of know-it-alls.

Now if you dip your toe in the SZ - well let's just say I'm taking a few weeks off from politics and just enjoying flying and the Olympics.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this board with the red board? That is precisely why I'm here, and in the year that I've been here, I don't think I've seen anyone ripped apart for a flying-related experience / question / issue. Well, I take that back - I've seen an anonymous poster who seemed to want absolution and approval for illegal drug use - but that was it. This board is full of the most informative, helpful, and friendly people that I've experienced in aviation, and from an aviation standpoint I look at PoA as an oasis in a land full of know-it-alls.

Quite true. The problem is that some people interrupt a slight difference of opinion as an attack against them. Obviously, as you're aware, the blue board is nothing compared to the more aggressive boards.

I'm not sure why people get so offended or worked up. The thing is--I'd never learn a thing if everyone agreed me with. I like to hear the opposite opinion.

Close, you can put those individuals on your "ignore" list so you don't see THEIR posts. (I hope I'm not one of them:hairraise:)

Quite true. The problem is that some people interrupt a slight difference of opinion as an attack against them. Obviously, as you're aware, the blue board is nothing compared to the more aggressive boards.

I'm not sure why people get so offended or worked up. The thing is--I'd never learn a thing if everyone agreed me with. I like to hear the opposite opinion.
Leslie and I say that if we're always in agreement, one of us is redundant!

Close, you can put those individuals on your "ignore" list so you don't see THEIR posts. (I hope I'm not one of them:hairraise:)

Yet another thing I like about you two... :yes:

Dun and ReDun? :)

It appears we've had 88 new members since this thread was started on August 2nd. Is anyone checking their green card??? :D

Hey Ted --

I read at least one of the threads that you started, in which things did get heated, and perhaps overly critical of what you posted.

I still learned a lot from that discussion, but I did have to sift through to figure out what they were talking about some of the time.

I'd encourage you to keep posting, but remember that this communications medium isn't as good as if we were all in the room together and could clarify things immediately...

And I'd like to encourage everyone else to not jump to conclusions...

Overall, I'm enjoying being part of POA, although I don't post much, and still have only met a few of you.

--david

Edit: WOOHOO! 41 posts! soon I'll be right up there with Scott and Ken.... :cheerswine:

Last edited:

Says the guy whose avatar is of him doing a wheelie? :dunno: :D

Everyone's definition of what's stupid, dangerous, wreckless varies. Some things will be generally agreed upon by consensus as such, but I think generally it comes down to risk tolerance. After all, we've got some aerobatic pilots out there, and it'd be hard (for me anyway) to ever refer to aerobatics as NOT dangerous. I'd just say it's a calculated risk, like anything else.

Hey Ted --

I read at least one of the threads that you started, in which things did get heated, and perhaps overly critical of what you posted.

I still learned a lot from that discussion, but I did have to sift through to figure out what they were talking about some of the time.

I'd encourage you to keep posting, but remember that this communications medium isn't as good as if we were all in the room together and could clarify things immediately...

And I'd like to encourage everyone else to not jump to conclusions...

Overall, I'm enjoying being part of POA, although I don't post much, and still have only met a few of you.

--david

Edit: WOOHOO! 41 posts! soon I'll be right up there with Scott and Ken.... :cheerswine:
David, I agree, I like everyone's posts, even when they engender discussions. Sometimes we don't express ourselves as clearly as we might like in the written medium, and having the opportunity for near-instant feedback can lead to people saying things quickly without thinking through what might have been intended by a post, rather than what they read into it, or even what it technically said. Still, that very dialog is helpful because it makes us (hopefully) sit back and think about things in a logical fashion. (Not that this always happens, of course! :))

And I agree, it's really helpful to hold conversations face-to-face. After you've done that, it makes it easier to empathise with the other's point of view, too! (And I enjoyed meting you last weekend!)

On the one hand I think the people who post cautionary statements about things other posters have written are only trying to be helpful. On the other hand, unsolicited advice is sometimes hard to deal with, especially when the advice-giver comes across like a lecturing father or mother.

Says the guy whose avatar is of him doing a wheelie? :dunno: :D

Everyone's definition of what's stupid, dangerous, wreckless varies. Some things will be generally agreed upon by consensus as such, but I think generally it comes down to risk tolerance. After all, we've got some aerobatic pilots out there, and it'd be hard (for me anyway) to ever refer to aerobatics as NOT dangerous. I'd just say it's a calculated risk, like anything else.
Dangerous is a relative term--and the wonderful thing is that everyone can pick their own level of risk. I don't want to die early but I also don't want to miss out on the fun that one can have.

The important thing is that one understands the level of risk that their actions are imposing on them. There are plenty of things that I've done that are awful deep into the 'danger zone'. I didn't know it at the time--but I know it now.

I've got no problem with someone doing something stupid if they're the only one they can hurt. In fact, I'm more likely to do something with higher risk as long as that risk only impacts me. My problem is when someone does something high risk while putting another individual in that high risk situation without them being aware of it. This is done all too often in aviation.

As far as a wheelie--it's fairly low risk as long as you are in the middle of nowhere and there is no potential for conflict with other people. It is a *hell* of a lot safer then some of the traffic I've road in around metro areas. I consider either one to be acceptable risk for me.

Last edited:
No need to defend yourself to me, Jesse, I was just poking fun at the fact that your statement was seemingly conflicting with your avatar to the casual observer. :)

No need to defend yourself to me, Jesse, I was just poking fun at the fact that your statement was seemingly conflicting with your avatar to the casual observer. :)
Jesse is very defensive when people talk about his flying and driving. ;)

Well not so much his flying but his landings :D:D

Would that be his airplane landings or his motorcycle landings? :D
I've had some pretty hard motorcycle landings. Wheelie Tip #1: Hold onto the tank with your knees. Don't ask why, just do it.

I've had some pretty hard motorcycle landings. Wheelie Tip #1: Hold onto the tank with your knees. Don't ask why, just do it.

Does this tip apply to males and females? ;)

I only did a few wheelies on my Bandit, all of which were accidental (yikes). That thing's got some power.

The VTX I've managed to do peel outs with (kinda on purpose), but at 750 lbs I suspect that getting it to wheelie is slightly more difficult.

Back