An Interesting Observation...

K

KennyFlys

As of this post, there are 5,022 registered members. There are almost 91 pages of members in the list. The start of zero-posts begins on page 51 in the list.

I was wondering how many never make any posts but continue to peruse the threads. That's perfectly Okay. But, I hope some don't hold back because they don't think they have anything to contribute. There's always something to learn from everyone.

Besides, Scott doesn't contribute much but he's still here. :D

As of this post, there are 5,022 registered members. There are almost 91 pages of members in the list. The start of zero-posts begins on page 51 in the list.

I was wondering how many never make any posts but continue to peruse the threads. That's perfectly Okay. But, I hope some don't hold back because they don't think they have anything to contribute. There's always something to learn from everyone.

You are SOOOOOO bad.

...SNIP...
Scott posts here (15,000+) because otherwise, he'd be talking to himself at work. People would think he was crazy. The guys with the nets would come wrap him up. (And there would be silence for the first time in years on PoA.)

My post count only got that high once Kenny started being active. It was because I had to keep correcting all of his technical mistakes. ;)

Scott posts here (15,000+)

PUHLEASE! It is over 16,000 :D:D:D:D

If it was not for jet lag I probably would have a low post count like Ken too.

But more to answering Ken's point. When I first got on here it probably took me about 2 months to get my first 10 posts. Then another bit of time to hit 100. Most of that was listening, figuring out how to fit in, and getting to know the people.

PUHLEASE! It is over 16,000 :D:D:D:D

If it was not for jet lag I probably would have a low post count like Ken too.

But more to answering Ken's point. When I first got on here it probably took me about 2 months to get my first 10 posts. Then another bit of time to hit 100. Most of that was listening, figuring out how to fit in, and getting to know the people.
You've been here for a year longer than I. You're at 14.55 posts per day. I'm at 14.27 posts per day.

Ya slacker!

;)

You're just mad you did not think of that first! :rofl::rofl:
I walk away to try to pack a box then come back here. But, I'm about to run out of boxes. :eek:

I might have to make a midnight raid on Kroger for some boxes.

Scott posts here (15,000+) because otherwise, he'd be talking to himself at work. People would think he was crazy. The guys with the nets would come wrap him up. (And there would be silence for the first time in years on PoA.)

Scott works? :dunno::dunno::dunno::D:D:D

I will say that I am probably where Scott was "way back when". I lurked for a few months and actually got a little nervous as I submitted my first post a little while back. For a while, I felt as though I was taking more than I was giving (asking more questions than giving answers).

Not that I feel like I've "given" much since then, but I've been made to feel welcome. And, as I close in on my 100th post (any day now), I feel more and more like I "belong". Unfortunately, I don't know many of you... but I did have the opportunity to talk to Grant on the phone a while back and met Kent at OSH this year (sorry dinner didn't work out... we had to find a hotel to stay at that night).

I hope to continue posting here... and hopefully someday I can actually offer something helpful to someone. Until then, I will keep picking your brains and try to make some more friends.

I lurked for the first month or two, not really making any posts. I started posting after Missa told everyone about my first solo. I would contribute more, but the attitudes of a few people on this board make me pretty reluctant to, so now I mostly stick to talking with the individuals I've gotten to know and leave those who I don't want to deal with out of the loop. Most people are welcoming and encouraging, but there are a few who just have to say anything you do is wrong, and I don't need to deal with that. I got enough of that when I was engaged! :goofy:

It wouldn't surprise me if a number of those people with 0-1 posts are in the same boat as me. It doesn't take much to see how easily someone can make a post about a great flight and have it turn into people arguing over legalities of flying on a Tuesday if the humidity is above 23.1%, or how many Newtons of force you ought to apply to the yoke during take-off. Yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point.

I'm also surprised that Kenny didn't pick up on this:

...But more to answering Ken's point. When I first got on here it probably took me about 2 months to get my first 10 posts. Then another bit of time to hit 100. Most of that was listening, figuring out how to fit in, and getting to know the people.

Scott, you're claiming to fit in? :D

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if a number of those people with 0-1 posts are in the same boat as me. It doesn't take much to see how easily someone can make a post about a great flight and have it turn into people arguing over legalities of flying on a Tuesday if the humidity is above 23.1%, or how many Newtons of force you ought to apply to the yoke during take-off. Yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point.
I am glad you brought that up Ted. Seems that a lot of people like to blame the SZ for all of the PoA's ills. But it simply is not the case. While SZ does create potentially a larger amount of the emotional issues here on PoA the non-SZ groups have also seen their share of flame wars and attacks. I remember the thread you are talking about and it got uglier than many a SZ thread.

I am glad you brought that up Ted. Seems that a lot of people like to blame the SZ for all of the PoA's ills. But it simply is not the case. While SZ does create potentially a larger amount of the emotional issues here on PoA the non-SZ groups have also seen their share of flame wars and attacks. I remember the thread you are talking about and it got uglier than many a SZ thread.

Thanks, Scott. SZ is certainly a forum that many people are best to opt out of (hence my non-participation in it), but the rest of the site should be about flying, and frequently it is more about the anal-retentive adherence to rules and superiority of FAR memorization than flying.

Tell me, which one of you (the generic you) would say to a friend in time of need "I can't help you because the rules won't allow me"? Please speak up, so I can eliminate you from the list of those who I consider "friend" permanently. The rules have never and will never stop me from helping people, including complete strangers, in time of need, as has been done for me more times than I can count. I will defend this principle of "good moral character" (required for one's ATP) to my own demise. I suspect a good number of you would, too, hence why I, as a rule, consider the people on this forum to be my friends.

But now we're walking into a thread creep that is likely to get into exactly the kind of thread that is the reason I've stopped sharing most of my flying experiences.

I saw it. I called him a slacker. :)

Oh good, I wouldn't want you to be slacking on your job. ;)

Hey, I just passed 1,000 posts! Woohoo! Except I'm quite the slacker, seeing as Scott's done more than 6,000 posts since I joined. :)

But now we're walking into a thread creep that is likely to get into exactly the kind of thread that is the reason I've stopped sharing most of my flying experiences.
Which is a loss for all of us I might say.

Yes I too have observed the 'anal retentiveness' that you refer to. It is actually one of the reason that I started to spend more time in the SZ. At least there you discuss ideas instead of being told that the one right answer had already been presented and you better adhere to it or else. The mindless automaton reaction to a rule or legal ruling without actually considering if it made any sense keeps me away from several threads outside of SZ even today. I too also write less about flying as a result of the types of attitudes that your describe.

Don't sweat the thread creep Kenny posted this thread to have some fun. I don't think he really had a plan on where he wanted it to go. I know of his 'fun to play in troll threads' well enough.

Last edited:
Yes I too have observed the 'anal retentiveness' that you refer to. It is actually one of the reason that I started to spend more time in the SZ. At least there you discuss ideas instead of being told that the one right answer had already been presented and you better adhere to it or else. The mindless automaton reaction to a rule or legal ruling without actually considering if it made any sense keeps me away from several threads outside of SZ even today. I too also write less about flying as a result of the types of attitudes that your describe.
The same idea came to mind for me when reading the other threads about SZ. I know more about flying than about politics, which isn't saying much since I'm only a casual observer of politics, but I am more likely to post an opposing view about politics than about flying. It's not that I don't have my own opinions about flying, but I think what a lot of people get wound up about are just techniques and philosophies, and there are thousands of those. I don't think it's my job to get everyone in line with my ideas. Besides, I am about as likely to change someone's mind about someone's flying technique as I am to change someone's mind about their political beliefs.

Besides, I am about as likely to change someone's mind about someone's flying technique as I am to change someone's mind about their political beliefs.
Just so you know, I think you ought to get that nose up there a bit higher. A porpoising Sovereign could end up really bad!

:goofy:

I'm rubber and you're glue, what bounces of off me sticks to you! :D:D:D
Are you kidding? I'm like the "Super Ball" that existed back in the sixties. I break windows without even trying. Nothing sticks to me.

Besides, my sister took responsibility since she threw the ball at me. :D

Back